• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

OT - Problem with my buddy's Chevy Tahoe (mass air flow sensor?)

jpdeuce

Basic User
City
Houston
State
TX
My buddy has been having some problems with his Tahoe recently. The truck just doesn't sound right, some pinging coming from exhaust and it's lacks any power. Pedal to the floor barely gets him accelerated and it's just a dog. It's a 2002 model with the bigger V8.

Anyway, shop said the computer said that it could be anything with the systems including spark plugs, spark plug wires, mass air flow sensor, ignition cables, or fuel system maintenance.

So, over the last couple of nights we replaced his spark plugs and spark plug wires (saving him $390 from the shop's cost). But it didn't help.

He drove it to work today to take it by the Chevy stealership to get fixed and exiting off the freeway it lost all electrical and rolled to a stop and wouldn't start again.

Anyone got an idea of what the deal is? Since he doesn't have it with him we can't exactly test anything. But he hates taking it to the shop and not having some idea of what is going on.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
That could be a dead computer... which would suck.

It sounds odd that the computer wasn't more specific with the problem. If the computers in the newer cars are good at anything, it's giving specific codes. Was it just that there was a lot of them or did it not give anything specific?

wyndzer

Basic User
City
wilson
State
nc
Outside of the electrical problem that I assume was not the original problem, replace the fuel filter and I bet his problems will go away, I see this with our fleet of Chevy's.

jpdeuce

Basic User
City
Houston
State
TX
Nope, nothing more specific than that...the code said something about the mass air flow sensor being on it's last leg, but the code also included the systems of spark plugs/wires, ignition cables and fuel system maintenance.

I will pass on the word about the fuel filter.

Anyone else got some ideas?

jpdeuce

Basic User
City
Houston
State
TX
OK...so the dealership is saying my buddy needs a new engine. I have already filtered this for April Fools...I think he's serious. Something about the catalytic converter and exhaust messing up a couple of the cylinders...basically no pressure in 2 of the cylinders. Does this sound reasonable? They are talking like $5500 for a new engine.

I suggested he drop a cummins turbo diesel in that ho...but I don't think he likes that idea. Anyway...he seems pretty upset about the engine thing...can't imagine why. That sucks.

txsbill

Legacy Registered User
City
Houston
State
TX
JP,
Do a google for "GM Piston Slap"....GM had/has a problem with the new engines in 2001-2002 models. They don't advertise it, and I don't know a whole lot about it other than they were having a problem. Just a thought.

Bill

jpdeuce

Basic User
City
Houston
State
TX
txsbill said:
JP,
Do a google for "GM Piston Slap"....GM had/has a problem with the new engines in 2001-2002 models. They don't advertise it, and I don't know a whole lot about it other than they were having a problem. Just a thought.

Bill
Good though Bill...thanks for the idea. Unfortunately it does not have the loud knock that they are talking about with that...so I bet he would have a tough time convincing them of that. Even if it did have piston slap, it sounds like it would be a tough time anyway of getting it fixed since GM is saying it's normal.