Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    City/State
    Rockville, VA
    Scrambler Year
    1981-CJ-8 SL
    Year Purchased

SOA National for 2007...

Here it is, so make your plans now and help us get the word out....

The 2007 SOA National event will be held on June 21,22, & 23, 2007 at Windrock, Tn. Also known as the Coal Creek ORV Area.

Many more details are being worked on and will be anounced latter.

The Park....http://www.coalcreekohv.com/

Hotels....http://oliverspringstn.cu.myareaguid...ml?cf=&hf=&s=5

Weather....http://oliverspringstn.citiesunlimit...forecasts.html

Camping...http://windrockcampground.com/AboutUs.html
    Last edited by John N; 08-24-2006 at 11:50 AM.
    John N
    1981 Scrambler Dana 44's w/ARBs F & R, AMC 360 w/TBI, TF999, Dana 300 clocked & twin sticked w/4:1, RE 4.5" XD lift, etc........
    Plus.... 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland (DD), CJ-7 (in pieces) and 3 off brand 4x4s...

City/State
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Excellent! Thanks for posting, John.

Craig
    * Custom '61 Jeep FC170 project, '97 XJ 2-dr. (13-year-old daughter Mira's project)

City/State
    Goose Creek, SC
    Scrambler Year
    1982 Auto 258
    Year Purchased
    Great, it's an excellent place to hold the National Event as the trails can provide a level for everyone. Plus, even in late June, the weather should be reasonable temperature wise. Plus, there is a lot to do in the area besides the trail rides. For those making it a long trip that want a variety, they could also hit the Harlan County, Big Fork, or Tellico for additional riding, all within a couple hours drive.

While I know there are others closer and more knowledgeable with the trails there, if the committee needs assistance with pre-runs and trail runs, I volunteer to help out. I'll probably take off the entire week and run some of the other trails before the event.

Again, great choice and many thanks to the committee for the work going into the 2007 National Even.

Edit: I've already made my hotel reservations at the Comfort Inn.
    Last edited by kohldad; 08-24-2006 at 05:48 PM.
    Scrambless
    02 Grand Cherokee

City/State
    Youngsville, LA
    Scrambler Year
    Sold
    Year Purchased

2007 National

I will be there .......

I will be in my camper.
    Sold Scrambler. But I have way to much family here !!!!

City/State
    Rome, GA
    Scrambler Year
    Year Purchased
    I have to agree with you kohldad the $15 per person per day makes it get real expensive real fast. $120 for the 4 of us for 2 days.

I'll just be getting back from a 3 week trip to Utah about June 15th so I'll have to see about that one.

I'd hate to miss another one but will see how it goes.
    RJ
    KK4CYB
    some what built '81 CJ-8
    Buy American Made,
    the job you save could be your own.

"One thing a Southern boy will never say is 'I don't think duct tape will fix it." Ed Smylie, crew systems engineer Apollo 13

City/State
    DAYTON, TN
    Scrambler Year
    Year Purchased
    GREAT CHOICE! It will be fun!
    OK John, you may have escaped the Whoop'in!
    [SIZE="5"][/SIZE][B][I][CENTER]If First You Don't Succeed Then MoPedal![/CENTER][/I][/B]

City/State
    Arlington, TX
    Scrambler Year
    84 Scrambler
    Year Purchased
    Hmm, 2 hours closer than Moab...
    I'll have to see how things go. I haven't even fixed my Jeep after Moab yet...
    David Wagner
    84 CJ8 LT1/4L60E/Dana 300/Dana 44/14 Bolt/Hummer wheels/36s/SOA

City/State
    Arlington, TX
    Scrambler Year
    84 Scrambler
    Year Purchased
    Just looked at the price of the permits...ouch
    one day-$15
    two day-$30
    three day-$40
    four day-$50
    yearly-$80
    David Wagner
    84 CJ8 LT1/4L60E/Dana 300/Dana 44/14 Bolt/Hummer wheels/36s/SOA

City/State
    Thayer, KS
    Scrambler Year
    2-1982 & 1984 POSTAL
    Year Purchased
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyjeep
    Just looked at the price of the permits...ouch
    one day-$15
    two day-$30
    three day-$40
    four day-$50
    yearly-$80
    Just guessing but I bet the permits will be worked into the event registration fee as they always have.
    83 CJ8 Scrambler - 5.3L Vortec - TH400 - Atlas II
    Dana 60 front & 14 bolt rear with ARB's - 110" WB - 40" LTB's

City/State
    Goose Creek, SC
    Scrambler Year
    1982 Auto 258
    Year Purchased
    Problem is the fees are per person, regardless of age. As the story goes, you can thank a lawyer and drunken ATVer for the fees. While they seem extreme, they aren't that outragous. Just checked Paragon and it's $85 for a 3 day pass plus $5/day/passenger. So for a family of four to ride at Paragon would be $130 vice the $160 at Windrock.

It's been two years since I've been there, but enjoyed every trip when I did go and am really looking forward to going back. The good side is that there are multitude of trails on every level, some exceptional views, lots of nearby accomodations and lots of nearby attractions. While it's not Moab, it is probably the gem of the East Coast when considering all aspects of what the committee is looking to have for the event.

When the committee is working on the registration fees, I hope they consider those that don't need entrance fees paid. If I help with any of the pre-runs, I'll probably just pay for an annual pass.
    Scrambless
    02 Grand Cherokee

City/State
    Dexter, MI
    Scrambler Year
    84 Alaskan Postal
    Year Purchased
    YES YES YES YES!!!!!

What do I win for guessing???

Windrock is GREAT! I drove my junk over there a couple years back for the Dixie Run right after doing my lift and 33s, it's a KILLER place with something for ANY rig. I'm going to be riding along with the big dogs when they hit one trail there... forget the name. It's the craziest trail I've ever seen and the cool part is it's really easy to watch the rigs run it because it's short and comes up a hill that's almost like a stadium for the crowd.

Here's a page with my pics from that trip (we stayed pretty tame with the Scrambler group because of the range of rigs): Windrock pics

Great terrain, tons of trails, nice camping area right there at the trailheads (assuming it's the same one we used) nice town with anything you need nearby...

I'm SO STOKED!!!

EXCELLENT choice guys!

'84 Alaskan Postal CJ-8: Right-hand drive, World Cab, 35s, outboarded RE 4.5" lift, XD9000i, PSC armor, Waggy 44/HD20, 4.0/AW4
    '05 Rubicon LJ: ORFAB bumpers, Ramsey 9000e, 3" Black Diamond lift, 315/75 Duratracs, GR8TOPS Exogate and prototype Safari hard top, 6-speed, CB, GR8TOPS Safari Cab
    '77 Cherokee S 4-door "Mater": Aero Tank aux gas tank, part time kit in tcase, Warn lockouts, 360 with goodies, saggy springs, loads of patina
    '08 JK Unlimited: Stock, auto, heated seat
    '99 Ford E350 "the bus": Redneck camper/tow rig conversion

My AK Postal page | All of the pics from the trip | Rockcrawler.com story of bringing the postal home from AK to NC

City/State
    Aurora, IL
    Sheesh, some of you guys will find anything to complain about when it comes to this event. Its 10 months away, save your pennies!
    If you haven't noticed, fees are the trend of our sport. Pay up or shut-up.
    With public trails being taken away at an alarming rate, private or state run pay-as-you-go parks are becoming the norm.
    I'm stoked about the event location, regardless of fees. I look at it as part of price to play. Have you been to Disney World lately($$$)?
    '84 Bobbed -'8, LT-1, TH400, STaK 3 speed, front 60 with Detroit/35 spline shafts, rear 14 bolt with detroit, garage built rear four link, front radius arm, 40" IROKs on locked H2 wheels, PSC assist, WARN 8274, lots of plating.
    '82 -'8 As stock as it gets...

City/State
    Montrose, co
    Scrambler Year
    Year Purchased

Red face 07 Event Fees

Mike makes a very good point. Start saving now!!! No matter where the Event is going to be there will be an issue with the cost. We all should try to figure out a way to cut some of the expenses.
    I would love to be able to go, not sure because of the time off from work. I won't rule it out until next spring.

Good luck to the committee.

Butch

City/State
    Paragould, ar
    Scrambler Year
    Year Purchased
    i will be there...if softball dont conflict....i really wish we could do another month sometime...june is my absolute busiest time
    There are only 10 types of people, those that understand binary and those that dont.

”Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.”

"never try to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person"

Ecclesiastes 10:2
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.

When those that find themselves in the most God-forsaken and immiserated places see a group of men in uniform coming up the hill carrying a flag, they drop to their knees and pray to God that that flag is American..Bill Bennett.

City/State
    Rockville, VA
    Scrambler Year
    1981-CJ-8 SL
    Year Purchased

Speaking of committies....

We have some of our board and members already working on this, but we are still putting the committee together. If you are able to help in putting this together, we are interested in hearing from you. Please PM or post up. I know we have active people in the area, which is a great help.

This will be a great place. We are aware that there is a cost to run here, but as pointed out, there are costs anywhere we could pick, except someone's backyard. We could wheel in my backyard, but it'd get pretty boring after the first 15 minutes.
    John N
    1981 Scrambler Dana 44's w/ARBs F & R, AMC 360 w/TBI, TF999, Dana 300 clocked & twin sticked w/4:1, RE 4.5" XD lift, etc........
    Plus.... 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland (DD), CJ-7 (in pieces) and 3 off brand 4x4s...