• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

SOA National for 2007...

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Here it is, so make your plans now and help us get the word out....

The 2007 SOA National event will be held on June 21,22, & 23, 2007 at Windrock, Tn. Also known as the Coal Creek ORV Area. :D

Many more details are being worked on and will be anounced latter.

The Park....http://www.coalcreekohv.com/

Hotels....http://oliverspringstn.cu.myareaguide.com/hotels.html?cf=&hf=&s=5

Weather....http://oliverspringstn.citiesunlimited.com/local/weather-forecasts.html

Camping...http://windrockcampground.com/AboutUs.html

Last edited:

kohldad

SOA Member
City
Goose Creek
State
SC
Great, it's an excellent place to hold the National Event as the trails can provide a level for everyone. Plus, even in late June, the weather should be reasonable temperature wise. Plus, there is a lot to do in the area besides the trail rides. For those making it a long trip that want a variety, they could also hit the Harlan County, Big Fork, or Tellico for additional riding, all within a couple hours drive.

While I know there are others closer and more knowledgeable with the trails there, if the committee needs assistance with pre-runs and trail runs, I volunteer to help out. I'll probably take off the entire week and run some of the other trails before the event.

Again, great choice and many thanks to the committee for the work going into the 2007 National Even.

Edit: I've already made my hotel reservations at the Comfort Inn.

Last edited:

RJCJ-8

SOA Member
Lifetime Member
City
Rome
State
GA
I have to agree with you kohldad the $15 per person per day makes it get real expensive real fast. $120 for the 4 of us for 2 days.

I'll just be getting back from a 3 week trip to Utah about June 15th so I'll have to see about that one.

I'd hate to miss another one but will see how it goes.

mopedal

"It Is What It Is"
City
DAYTON
State
TN
GREAT CHOICE! It will be fun!
OK John, you may have escaped the Whoop'in!

dirtyjeep

I like it dirty.
City
Arlington
State
TX
Hmm, 2 hours closer than Moab...
I'll have to see how things go. I haven't even fixed my Jeep after Moab yet...

dirtyjeep

I like it dirty.
City
Arlington
State
TX
Just looked at the price of the permits...ouch
one day-$15
two day-$30
three day-$40
four day-$50
yearly-$80

CHIEFWAHO

SOA VP
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
SOA Board Member
City
Thayer
State
KS
dirtyjeep said:
Just looked at the price of the permits...ouch
one day-$15
two day-$30
three day-$40
four day-$50
yearly-$80
Just guessing but I bet the permits will be worked into the event registration fee as they always have.

kohldad

SOA Member
City
Goose Creek
State
SC
Problem is the fees are per person, regardless of age. As the story goes, you can thank a lawyer and drunken ATVer for the fees. While they seem extreme, they aren't that outragous. Just checked Paragon and it's $85 for a 3 day pass plus $5/day/passenger. So for a family of four to ride at Paragon would be $130 vice the $160 at Windrock.

It's been two years since I've been there, but enjoyed every trip when I did go and am really looking forward to going back. The good side is that there are multitude of trails on every level, some exceptional views, lots of nearby accomodations and lots of nearby attractions. While it's not Moab, it is probably the gem of the East Coast when considering all aspects of what the committee is looking to have for the event.

When the committee is working on the registration fees, I hope they consider those that don't need entrance fees paid. If I help with any of the pre-runs, I'll probably just pay for an annual pass.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
YES YES YES YES!!!!!

What do I win for guessing??? :D

Windrock is GREAT! I drove my junk over there a couple years back for the Dixie Run right after doing my lift and 33s, it's a KILLER place with something for ANY rig. I'm going to be riding along with the big dogs when they hit one trail there... forget the name. It's the craziest trail I've ever seen and the cool part is it's really easy to watch the rigs run it because it's short and comes up a hill that's almost like a stadium for the crowd.

Here's a page with my pics from that trip (we stayed pretty tame with the Scrambler group because of the range of rigs): Windrock pics

Great terrain, tons of trails, nice camping area right there at the trailheads (assuming it's the same one we used) nice town with anything you need nearby...

I'm SO STOKED!!!

EXCELLENT choice guys!

Kaiser8

Designer
City
Aurora
State
IL
Sheesh, some of you guys will find anything to complain about when it comes to this event.:rolleyes: Its 10 months away, save your pennies!
If you haven't noticed, fees are the trend of our sport. Pay up or shut-up.
With public trails being taken away at an alarming rate, private or state run pay-as-you-go parks are becoming the norm.
I'm stoked about the event location, regardless of fees. I look at it as part of price to play. Have you been to Disney World lately($$$)?

lineforeman99

THE MADNESS MUST END
City
Montrose
State
co
07 Event Fees

Mike makes a very good point. Start saving now!!! No matter where the Event is going to be there will be an issue with the cost. We all should try to figure out a way to cut some of the expenses.
I would love to be able to go, not sure because of the time off from work. I won't rule it out until next spring.

Good luck to the committee.

Butch

scott anderson

Old age Mutant Ninjaneer
City
Paragould
State
ar
i will be there...if softball dont conflict....i really wish we could do another month sometime...june is my absolute busiest time

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Speaking of committies....

We have some of our board and members already working on this, but we are still putting the committee together. If you are able to help in putting this together, we are interested in hearing from you. Please PM or post up. I know we have active people in the area, which is a great help.

This will be a great place. We are aware that there is a cost to run here, but as pointed out, there are costs anywhere we could pick, except someone's backyard. We could wheel in my backyard, but it'd get pretty boring after the first 15 minutes.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Compare the cost to taking a family to a movie each day. Considering you're getting ALL DAY instead of 2 hours it looks dang reasonable to me.

For this, I'd pay pretty much anything needed :cool:

YEEHAA!

kohldad

SOA Member
City
Goose Creek
State
SC
Please PM or post up.

Posting up.

PMs are the best but emails work too, just not as fast since I can't check them during the day. Windrock is only 7 hours from my house, pratically in my backyard as wheeling places go.

BOBCAT

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Louisville
State
Ky
Close

GREAT
That's only 3 1/2 hous from me. Maybe I'll be able to make it this year, and get off my butt and get my scrambler done.

dirtyjeep

I like it dirty.
City
Arlington
State
TX
Kaiser8 said:
Sheesh, some of you guys will find anything to complain about when it comes to this event.:rolleyes: Its 10 months away, save your pennies!
If you haven't noticed, fees are the trend of our sport. Pay up or shut-up.
With public trails being taken away at an alarming rate, private or state run pay-as-you-go parks are becoming the norm.
I'm stoked about the event location, regardless of fees. I look at it as part of price to play. Have you been to Disney World lately($$$)?
It'd been 4 years since I'd wheeled before I went to the Moab event. My Jeep had been driveable for at least 2 of those years. We barely afforded the Moab event. I'm not necessarily complaining about the fees but my ability to afford them. Saving is not possible around our house despite my excellent budgeting abilities. And with my wife talking about moving out, nevermind. I need to stop before I get myself riled up and say something stupid. I just hope it's not another 4 years before I wheel again. And no, the Jeep is a non-issue at our house and she's even talked me out of selling it a number of times.

RandyLL

1 Long CJ
City
Highland
State
IL
I drove 8 hours west for one, so I can drive 8 hours east for one. I'll be there, and with the family this time.