Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    City/State
    Grand Rapids, MI

*SOLD* O.T. Built Jeep CJ-10a Tug (Diesel, D44s, 34" tires, etc.)

I have decided to part ways with my CJ-10a Flightline Tow Tractor, and focus on other financial & Jeep priorities. You can view my comprehensive build thread HERE. There is also a lot of general CJ-10a history information in THIS TECH THREAD.

This tug is 95%+ rust-free. There are two very small holes in the passenger floorboard; one is the size of a pea, and one is about the diameter of my thumb. Both are an easy fix, and it's in amazing shape for the age. The frame is completely rust-free. The only mentionable rust is in the 50-year-old M-416 trailer bed floor. I planned on using it as-is for a year or two, then replacing the floor. I do have some nice replacement metal options that I can discuss with the buyer.

This is not a highway vehicle per se (due to the welded diff and bias-ply Swampers), but it drives nice & straight down the road, even up to 65 mph. This is without a steering dampener, and with the front swaybar disconnected. I have driven it on short stretches of highway, but mostly I have just driven it back & forth to work on surface streets a couple dozen times.

I got over 20 mpg around town, even with the unbalanced 34" bias-ply Swampers. I'm sure the mileage would be even better with a more street-friendly all-terrain tire.

Vehicle highlights:
    • CJ-10a 1/2 tub (99% rust-free)
    • Full hard doors
    • Removeable 1/2 steel hardtop
    • Rare 60/40 split bench seat with no tears
    • Auto tilt steering column
    • Rust free frame. Note that this is not a typical CJ frame, but rather a Full-size Jeep (FSJ) frame (only 50% thicker). Full-size axles will bolt into the front of this, if you're considering swapping in a set of old-school F-250 axles, for example. There is no need to outboard springs to accomplish this with this frame.
    • Nissan SD-33 6-cyl. diesel motor: 23K miles, runs great.
    • TF-727 auto transmission
    • Jeep NP-208 T-case: Works great, heavy-duty t-case from a full-size Jeep.
    • 4-wheel power disc brakes...stops on a dime
    • Professionally-rebuilt (by 2 Track Minds Offroad) Grand Wagoneer Dana 44 front axle (all new parts except low-mileage used ring & pinion)...$2000 rebuild (have receipt)
      • Low-mileage take-out Rubicon 4.10 R&P
      • Dana 44 install kit
      • Seals
      • Bearings/races
      • U-joints
      • Warn Premium Lock-out Hubs
      • Calipers
      • Pads
      • Rotors
      • Wheel Studs
      • Differential Cover
    • Isuzu Rodeo Dana 44 rear axle: 4.10 gears, rear disc brakes, 6 x 5.5" lug pattern, and it's ~58" wide WMS-to-WMS. Rear was welded by JCR Offroad.
    • Black 15" x 7" "steelie" wheels (blasted, POR-15'd, and topcoated with Krylon)
    • NEW (5) 34" x 9.5" TSL Swampers: Tires have 95-98% tread, and have only been wheeled once (no cuts). Spare was not new, but is in excellent condition.
    • NEW RCI 15-gallon fuel cell from Summit Racing
    • NEW Waggy front springs (2) for the rear of the Jeep.
    • NEW BJ's Offroad H.D. front lift shackles
    • Shortened M-416 military trailer bed
    • 95.5" wheelbase (~1.5" longer than a CJ-7)
    • Rear bumper/crossmember, rear suspension fabwork professionally done by JCR Offroad.
    • Pintle hitch mounted to stock front bumper (not installed in pics below)
    • Once I get done scanning the hard copy, I can provide a complete CJ-10a Air Force Service/Parts manual on CD. This manual is invaluable for parts/service information.

$6000

NOTE: If you want bucket seats instead of the 60/40 split bench seat, we can negotiate a slightly lower price. I also have a Meyer Power Angle plow from my other '10a that will bolt onto this that I'd sell for a few hundred bucks more.

Please refrain from postings like "bummer to see you sell" or "you should keep it". I want to keep this thread clean and focused. Cash only; I'm not interested in any trades at the moment.

Thanks,
    Craig

NOTE: I now have lower door hinges that match the Forrest Green military paint.

Video from trial run at Trail Junkie's test course:

What it looked like originally:
    Last edited by 1x1_Speed_Craig; 10-17-2007 at 05:21 AM.
    * Custom '61 Jeep FC170 project, '97 XJ 2-dr. (13-year-old daughter Mira's project)

City/State
    Greenfield, In
    Scrambler Year
    '82 Scrambler
    Year Purchased
    "This is not a highway vehicle per se, but it drives nice & straight down the road,"..........but mostly I have just driven it back & forth to work on surface streets a couple dozen times."

Craig, I'm probably a little crazy, (I am a Scrambler owner after all! ) but do you think this would be a viable commuter vehicle for 55-60 miles a day? Any idea what type mileage it gets on road? I will be needing something for a DD in the near future as the POC I currently have is on it's last legs(sigh of relief). I rarely exceed 60 mph and almost never drive on the Interstate, mostly ride my KLR in good weather anyway, so it would be mainly a winter driven vehicle. What'da think? I need any and all ammo before I even mention this to my wife, your impartial opinion is valuable to me!
    Thanks,
    Steve

PS---I'm thinking out loud here, I'm sure I'd have to put some rear fenders on it, for street use. Any ideas on that? I read the build-up on it, but is it manual or power steering? My wife says no more projects, so, is this a doable "non-project" ?
    Last edited by SeeJayAte; 10-07-2007 at 09:02 AM.

City/State
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Quote Originally Posted by SeeJayAte
    "This is not a highway vehicle per se, but it drives nice & straight down the road,"..........but mostly I have just driven it back & forth to work on surface streets a couple dozen times."

Craig, I'm probably a little crazy, (I am a Scrambler owner after all! ) but do you think this would be a viable commuter vehicle for 55-60 miles a day? Any idea what type mileage it gets on road? I will be needing something for a DD in the near future as the POC I currently have is on it's last legs(sigh of relief). I rarely exceed 60 mph and almost never drive on the Interstate, mostly ride my KLR in good weather anyway, so it would be mainly a winter driven vehicle. What'da think? I need any and all ammo before I even mention this to my wife, your impartial opinion is valuable to me!
    Thanks,
    Steve

PS---I'm thinking out loud here, I'm sure I'd have to put some rear fenders on it, for street use. Any ideas on that? I read the build-up on it, but is it manual or power steering? My wife says no more projects, so, is this a doable "non-project" ?
    Hi Steve,

This isn't a project; it's turn-key and ready to go. Fenders? Trailer fenders are about $18-20 each, and still retain the original military trailer look. They would be a bolt-on affair, with just a handful of holes needing to be drilled.

This vehicle really likes 50-65 mph cruising. My commute to work is 16 miles one-way, and I drove it to work several times this Summer.

Give me a call, and I can answer any questions you have. I'll PM you my number in case you still don't have it.

Thanks,
    Craig
    * Custom '61 Jeep FC170 project, '97 XJ 2-dr. (13-year-old daughter Mira's project)

City/State
    Lnxa, KS
    You too Craig. I know you got another pertinent project coming together. Good luck on the sale.
    mm

Jagular7
    Lnxa, KS

City/State
    Whiteland, IN
    Scrambler Year
    1982 Scrambler
    Year Purchased
    Did you have to modify the frame to put the bed on this Jeep or is it bone stock? You have a very cool Jeep there, someone needs to buy this thing soon!
    '82 CJ-8 Scrambler
    '94 Sahara Wrangler
    '97 Grand Cherokee (my daily driver)
    "Jeep is an acronym... It stands for Just Empty Every Pocket!"

City/State
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Quote Originally Posted by questknight
    Did you have to modify the frame to put the bed on this Jeep or is it bone stock? You have a very cool Jeep there, someone needs to buy this thing soon!

The frame itself is bone-stock. I moved the rear springs underneath the frame rails (originally, they were outboarded), which moved the rear axle back ~11". I used new Sky Manufacturing spring hangers, and reused the original shackle hangers (just flipped them and had them gussetted). Also, the rear bumper/crossmember was added by JCR Offroad.

Thanks for the compliments, BTW.

Craig

City/State
    richmond, va
    Scrambler Year
    Sweet video...."Oh, this is so not good!"....."West side!" LOL!

Love the way you hit that water hole! Who taught you how to drive, Bobcat?

OK, just to keep this clean and focused, as you requested, my two cents is that this looks like a GREAT deal for someone who wants a unique rig that they could just jump in and drive as is, or keep building as time and funds permit.

I thought your asking price was going to be higher.

Good luck on the sale.

-Mike

City/State
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Quote Originally Posted by WildTurkeycj8
    Sweet video...."Oh, this is so not good!"....."West side!" LOL!

Love the way you hit that water hole! Who taught you how to drive, Bobcat?

OK, just to keep this clean and focused, as you requested, my two cents is that this looks like a GREAT deal for someone who wants a unique rig that they could just jump in and drive as is, or keep building as time and funds permit.

I thought your asking price was going to be higher.

Good luck on the sale.

-Mike
    Thanks Mike. Yeah, I should have had the bumper installed (which would have protected the front end more), but was in a hurry to test it out. Actually, my buddy Josh (who you met at the Nat'l Event) was in a hurry to see me get stuck on his test course. A few minutes to re-bolt the filter up took care of the "damage", fortunately.

Thanks for the kind words. It's a nice, unique little rig for the money.

Craig

City/State
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Anyone else interested? There's a good chance I'll list it on eBay and/or craigslist this coming weekend.

Craig

City/State
    LA Pine, OR
    if it were closer I would love to consider buyin it

City/State
    Goose Creek, SC
    Scrambler Year
    1982 Auto 258
    Year Purchased
    You could probably have it shipped for about $650. So don't let distance stop you.
    Scrambless
    02 Grand Cherokee

City/State
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Quote Originally Posted by kohldad
    You could probably have it shipped for about $650. So don't let distance stop you.
    Quote Originally Posted by THEONLYONX
    if it were closer I would love to consider buyin it

If I knew where "Lost in the Woods" (the location in your profile) was, I'd have a better idea as to the distance.

I'll probably list it on eBay, but there's also a slight chance that it'll be raffled off at the greatlakes4x4.com Christmas party (my local 4x4 site). I mention a "slight" chance, as I need to talk with an attorney to get clarification on a few things. It probably won't be feasible, but it would be fun. Unfortunately, the "slip & fall" attorneys and sue-happy a$$clowns make it difficult to do something fun like this.

Craig

City/State
    Lafayette, LA
    Scrambler Year
    81 Stock
    Year Purchased
    1/2007
    Craig just wanted to say that video footage will sell it. My father was AF and I grew up on air bases and I would NEVER have thought I'd see a flight line tow converted so well and functionally into what you did with that 10!!!!

City/State
    Grand Rapids, MI
    *Sold*
    Last edited by 1x1_Speed_Craig; 10-17-2007 at 05:20 AM.

City/State
    Lnxa, KS
    Cool. Good for you.

I'm thinking that I should put some more money and effort into making mine into a 4wd then look to sell. I'm picking up a front military 4.56'd D60 Friday. I can get a 14 bolt rather easily. Swap in the front the D60, swap in the rear the 14bolt using the XJ springs. Put on the XMLs and sell it.
    mm

Jagular7
    Lnxa, KS