• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Best way to fix rusted body mounts

doug0351

Basic User
City
Vienna
State
VA
I will be removing the body off my 82 scrambler this spring. I know I have a couple body mounts that are rusted through. What is the best way to go about welding in replacements?

cjgoode

Legacy Registered User
City
Central
State
FL
You can buy new ones, I just did mine and the few that were rusted out were just rusted out around the rubber bushing. Since the sides and most of the top was good I just cleaned them, cut a piece of steel the shape of the top and welded them on. I them drilled out the correct size hole with a cutter I got from Home Depot that fits to a normal drill. It worked out very well. Much easier then cutting off the old ones and putting new ones on. I could have done a much cleaner job, but it is under the jeep! I am sure they are as solid as the original as I only really had to patch the area for the bushing. I had to do the for in the rear and 3 others.

I have attached a picture of one of them. Not great but you can see it.
I also attached a picture of removing the body with an engine hoist connecting it to the seatbelts. Just locked them in on each side and hooked the two belts on. Allowed me to slowly lift it and check everything, and made putting it back on very easy as we could slowly lower it line it up etc. Worked better then I could have hoped. I had my son help me but with this approach and being able to roll it I would not hesitate to do it by my self, and it was fairly balanced, could roll with one hand and steady with the other. It was also very solid. I tested a lot before I finally decided to really lift it off the frame.

doug0351

Basic User
City
Vienna
State
VA
Thanks cjgoode Love the idea of using the engine hoist and you solution seems quick and sturdy. I wonder were there any rust issues on the actual body where is attaches to the mounts? I haven't had the body off yet but it looks like I will have some issues in that area as well.

How would one tackle that problem?

CHIEFWAHO

SOA VP
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
SOA Board Member
City
Thayer
State
KS
Here is a good article on repairing them yourself.

http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-corner/project-cj7/project-cj7-frame.htm

A drill press and 1 1/4" hole saw really helps.
Be sure to buy a good quality hole saw, I bought mine at ACE Hardware store.

Here is s recent replaced center.
That hole saw even cut the holes for the rear crossmember and it is 1/4"
47b8df01b3127cceb44ea974c1df00000026101AaMmTRm4cMY

cjgoode

Legacy Registered User
City
Central
State
FL
I had a rust bucket and yes several of the mounts on the body were rusted. some looked good but when I started to remove the bolts for the body the real problems came out. Several bolts broke as they had rusted out inside the rubber washers. Some broke the nuts loose where they are welded inside the body and had to be cut off. 2 of them just ripped the body apart where the metal plate is inside the body. They have plates inside that can move freely for adjustments and the metal around it was so rusty it just ripped them apart. You might have some of these surprises.

I took metal plates and drilled a hole in them larger then the body bolts, then I welded a nut on the other side. I then just cut it to patch over the old metal. I also cut and welded additional support onto the side of the c channel or built a new one. so the nut is on the inside like the old one. One catch is that unless you want to do a lot of work and make a sliding plate like the original the new holes and nut are stationary so make sure you put them in the correct spot or getting the body back on will be tough.

I patched a lot of rust problems, added support and fixed major rust outs around the body mounts and the seatbelt mounts. I am not a great welder, but with a little grinding and herculine on the bottom and top you would never know. I did spray it with a rust converter before I started, after and I also coated the top and bottom with Eastwood Rust Encapsulator then applied the herculiner. I will be very disappointed if this rusts. But for me it looks great the texture of the herculiner can almost hide anything. And I took a rust bucket with lost of wholes patched it with $200 of metal and coatings and a 120v Lincoln electric mig.

Now I just have to finish the body and paint it.

yellow_dolphin

Legacy Registered User
City
Melbourne
State
fl
Body mount - frame side

Since I am not ready for a frame off resto nor have the time right now....

Where can I buy the body mount? This is so I can remove he old one from the frame and weld a new one.