• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Postal going 4.0/AW4

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
It's time.

What was a number of minor oil leaks became something more voluminous last weekend on the drive back from the shop that did my cage. While it's very likely the O-ring on the dizzy from a quick inspection, it already needed the front and rear main seals done and probably the oil pan gasket. I also needed to swap in new motor mounts too.

Sitting there contemplating all of that, it occurred to me, "Why do all that to still have to deal with 3000+ RPM on the highway?"

Lucky for me our very own Toby "Mr. Beep" happened on a 100k mile 97 XJ that was flopped in the snow. Original owner, religious maintenance, great condition. On top of finding it, Toby even pulled the junk for me! (Thanks Toby!!!) I'm hoping to get it in the next couple of weeks on a drive down to my job's HQ in Cincinnati.

Photos thus far attached, nothing too exciting (to anyone other than me probably ;) )

Plan right now:
  • keep the OBDII setup, wire in data port and check engine light
  • run stock gauges
  • stock gas tank
  • external E2000-type fuel pump, filter and pressure regulator on the tank skid crossmember
  • adapt/clock the D300 to the AW4 (not sure if I'll go with the Novak kit or a cheaper version with a slight trim on the tranny output shaft)
  • reuse stock airbox/tube/filter for now
  • debating on fan, can swap back to mechanical using a YJ water pump and bits or I may go with an electric

This means I'll have a 258 that's solid, but needs attention and a 999 available. Also, I have a bunch of brand new spare parts that I never installed (made the AK-NC trip with me!) and some gently used upgrades for a 258 . Look for the for sale thread to come if you're interested.

I've been looking to do this for a long time. Hopefully I'll actually make this work and manage to do a nice OBDII build thread here with plenty of pictures for y'all ;)

BOBCAT

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Louisville
State
Ky
I think when it's all done you'll love the fuel injection. I've got a 4.5 stroker in mine with the OBDI.

Don

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I think when it's all done you'll love the fuel injection. I've got a 4.5 stroker in mine with the OBDI.

Don

Yeah, my ideal is a stroker, but not going to be able to get into a rebuild anytime soon. I'll love the EFI, but I'm also really looking forward to the overdrive and 4 speeds for things like the trip to the sand dunes. :cool:

scott anderson

Old age Mutant Ninjaneer
City
Paragould
State
ar
once you are injected...u will never go back...you will like it way more than u know right now

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I sit there driving my LJ all the time and think "Wouldn't it be nice if the Scrambler ran like this??"

I can't wait! Trying to get the cage painted up this week so I can take one last drive in it carbed this weekend with the top off before I tear it apart to get it ready.

scott anderson

Old age Mutant Ninjaneer
City
Paragould
State
ar
on the trail there is one less thing to worry about...killing the engine on a bump...lets you concentrate on the other 47 things you have to worry about

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I'm not that crazy on the trail and only had the carb cut out a handful of times.

It will be great not worrying about it at all anymore, I'm so psyched to get going on this. Sucks that it happened in the middle of spring when I could be driving it all the time, but such is life.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Tonight was painting up the new cage and cleaning up the garage to make more room and get somewhat organized before the fun starts...

After getting the cage and brackets painted up, I pulled the tranny shifter and knob on the transfer case (all I had the energy for). So official swap start date 5/13, ~1:30 AM :thumbsup:

Tomorrow night, reinstall roll cage and start pulling crap off!!! WOOOT!

Sunday I'll be heading to Toby's to drop off my tranny (hopefully) for transport to the national and it's new owner, and picking up my new setup. Unfortnuately I won't be here next week to play with it due to a work trip :banghead: that's going to SUCK to know it's sitting here waiting for me to install :angry:

kohldad

SOA Member
City
Goose Creek
State
SC
off my tranny (hopefully) for transport to the national and it's new owner

Thanks, especially to Toby for the transport assist. This was the only component I was worried about being so far from home at the nationals. And now I'll have a spare.

that's going to SUCK to know it's sitting here waiting for me to install

Wrong attitude. Correct attitude is dreaming about doing the swap while you are STUCK in all those meetings.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I've been dreaming about it, but haven't actually had the stuff sitting in my garage at the time... it's going to be a LOOONG week.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Parts ordered:

Novak AW4-D300 adapter: http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/kit_153.htm

Hesco VSS and 2-pin connector, probably didn't NEED the connector, but want to do this right the first time. I'm convinced that the OBDII needs to have it and I want to keep my stock speedo so I needed the dual speedo cable and VSS pickup. I checked a dodge dealer for the part from them and it was about $20 more on top of Hesco's with shipping.
http://www.hescosc.com/shop.asp?action=details&inventoryID=43100&catId=

http://www.hescosc.com/shop.asp?action=details&inventoryID=45087&catId=7902

two E2000 fuel pumps off eBay (wanted spare), WAY cheaper than local part store

here's the part cross-reference list:
AIRTEX REF # E2000
AC DELCO REF # EP286
CARTER REF # P74028
BOSCH REF # 69100

two adjustable fuel pressure regulators off of eBay, again, way cheaper and wanted spare

Progress:

Carb, starter, alternator removed

Most wiring removed, I labeled things anally as I removed them and made a list of things that I knew I'd need to reconnect/refill/reattach with the new engine just because I know I'll forget something stupid otherwise

Drained oil and coolant

Borrowed engine lift and leveller, bought used engine stand off of CL

I'm headed to Toby's on Sunday to help pull anything that's left to grab from the donor and load everything up for the return trip Monday. I'll be out of town most of the workweek for the next two weeks unfortunately. Negotiating with Kate to get to work on this over Memorial Day weekend. ;)

kohldad

SOA Member
City
Goose Creek
State
SC
Don't forget, we are going to need pics of Laura with dirty hands helping Daddy. :)

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Hah, so as not to upset things at home any more than just needed to make this happen in a reasonable amount of time while keeping my marriage intact, everything that's gone on so far has been when she's not here or asleep.

I did get Kate out in the garage last night to help with the rollcage reinstall, so maybe it's not far off that Laura gets in on the act. ;)

Bad Karma

Captain Sarcasm
BENEFACTOR
Lifetime Member
City
Cobourg, Ontario, Cana
State
da
how many PSI does the E2000 fuel pump put out?

Bad Karma

Captain Sarcasm
BENEFACTOR
Lifetime Member
City
Cobourg, Ontario, Cana
State
da
I'm not certain, but I know you need to regulate it to get it down to the ~40-44 PSI needed.

if its for a carbed engine i highly doubt it will put out PSI anywhere near that.