Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    City/State
    Dexter, MI
    Scrambler Year
    84 Alaskan Postal
    Year Purchased
    Wow, y'all are brutal on the pics! I trained you well Staying up (yet again) way too late just so I can work on pics as I sip a celebratory Glenlivet

I found the culprit on the ignition feeds. As always, walking away from it and coming back with a clear head was the trick. Last night after I got the fuel pump and starter working and after I realized the issue with the pressure regulator, I worked on the wiring some more to thin out things from the CJ side even better.

I was really puzzled tonight because I thought I only cut things out since I had it running right, then it hit me... the voltmeter. I wired the voltmeter feed that used to run to the CJ alternator plug into the batt + post on the PDC thinking that it would see the battery voltage when the engine was off and the alternator voltage when it was on. Well it did, but (thanks to the sweet dash wiring AMC did) it also back-fed all kinds of things, one of which was the start-run feed on the ignition switch. Unhooked that and everything is back as it should be. I don't know where I'll hook the voltmeter now, maybe tap one of the four non-power wires coming off the alternator through it's plug into the engine bay harness... no biggie for now.

I thought about video but Laura was already asleep by the time I got it running and it is LOUD, so I thought better of it. Maybe tomorrow morning

Pics coming next.

'84 Alaskan Postal CJ-8: Right-hand drive, World Cab, 35s, outboarded RE 4.5" lift, XD9000i, PSC armor, Waggy 44/HD20, 4.0/AW4
    '05 Rubicon LJ: ORFAB bumpers, Ramsey 9000e, 3" Black Diamond lift, 315/75 Duratracs, GR8TOPS Exogate and prototype Safari hard top, 6-speed, CB, GR8TOPS Safari Cab
    '77 Cherokee S 4-door "Mater": Aero Tank aux gas tank, part time kit in tcase, Warn lockouts, 360 with goodies, saggy springs, loads of patina
    '08 JK Unlimited: Stock, auto, heated seat
    '99 Ford E350 "the bus": Redneck camper/tow rig conversion

My AK Postal page | All of the pics from the trip | Rockcrawler.com story of bringing the postal home from AK to NC

City/State
    Dexter, MI
    Scrambler Year
    84 Alaskan Postal
    Year Purchased

Mechanical fan details

One thing I forgot to comment on. I bought a used ZJ Grand Cherokee fan to use. This is because the water pump on the 4.0 runs the opposite direction from the V-belt CJ setup (if you happen to have a serpentine CJ, you're all set). The ZJ fan is set up in the right direction and matches the YJ/TJ water pump pulley size and bolt pattern (the XJ mechanical fan has a different bolt pattern than the Wrangler water pump, so you can't just move it over.)

So after getting the YJ/TJ water pump and pulley, I went to mount the fan. The fan used to be offset on what's basically an idler pulley under the A/C compressor and used studs in the pulley. As soon as I went to put the fan on the water pump, it was obvious the fan and studs interfered (I just used nuts on the studs to hold the idler pulley on after removing the XJ fan). I pulled the studs to replace them with bolts and remounted the fan. There was now clearance, but not enough for my liking:

So in thinking about it for a minute, I realized I had the CJ fan/clutch sitting there useless, with the proper bolt spacing. I went about cutting off the mounting flange to use as a spacer:

I cutt off the extra bit of shaft left over and ground it out flat:

Mounting the fan with that spacer in place got me to something I'm more comfortable with and put the fan in slightly better position to the radiator without being too close. You can see the spacer on the right.

'84 Alaskan Postal CJ-8: Right-hand drive, World Cab, 35s, outboarded RE 4.5" lift, XD9000i, PSC armor, Waggy 44/HD20, 4.0/AW4
    '05 Rubicon LJ: ORFAB bumpers, Ramsey 9000e, 3" Black Diamond lift, 315/75 Duratracs, GR8TOPS Exogate and prototype Safari hard top, 6-speed, CB, GR8TOPS Safari Cab
    '77 Cherokee S 4-door "Mater": Aero Tank aux gas tank, part time kit in tcase, Warn lockouts, 360 with goodies, saggy springs, loads of patina

My AK Postal page | All of the pics from the trip | Rockcrawler.com story of bringing the postal home from AK to NC

City/State
    Dillsboro, IN
    Scrambler Year
    81-4,82-2,83-4,84-2
    Year Purchased

Thumbs up Congradulations!

Way to go Eric.
    I haven't been on here much to follow your install or I would have cought your bolt shortage. I found the canister of all the bolts from the 4.0 I saved for you sitting on the front bumper of MrBeep. Things got a little hectic before I left for work and didn't think to set them in your trailer. If you need them, I can ship it to you. Sorry for the inconvieance my friend.
    If "WE ARE" the result of our past paths,
    we need to pay attention to who "OUR PRESENT WALK" is with,
    to prepare us "FOR OUR FUTURE DESTINATION"

Toby

City/State
    Rotonda West, FL
    Scrambler Year
    Year Purchased
    Way to Go Eric,

You have twice the space between the fan and the idler pulley (without spacer) than I have. As the engine speeds up the fan blades will pull away from the pulley.

Don
    Hope to get another one someday soon

City/State
    Dexter, MI
    Scrambler Year
    84 Alaskan Postal
    Year Purchased

Video, maybe....

I couldn't figure out how to convert this to a more "normal" format, it's off my BlackBerry. 3GP format, it ran in Quicktime Player on my Mac.

I'm attaching it as a zip for now, may play with it later to get it where it can show inline.

But anyway, there's a video w/ sound of it running (if you can play it).
    Attached Files Attached Files

City/State
    Dexter, MI
    Scrambler Year
    84 Alaskan Postal
    Year Purchased
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBeep View Post
    Way to go Eric.
    I haven't been on here much to follow your install or I would have cought your bolt shortage. I found the canister of all the bolts from the 4.0 I saved for you sitting on the front bumper of MrBeep. Things got a little hectic before I left for work and didn't think to set them in your trailer. If you need them, I can ship it to you. Sorry for the inconvieance my friend.
    I also left the tranny shifter cable somewhere after going through the trouble of pulling it out I looked at it last night though, and I think I can make something that works using my stock shifter. The throw is in the right direction and the position of things looks pretty close to being able to make it work.

I didn't figure it would be much to replace the bolts that I actually needed. Probably less trouble than sorting through all of the ones in the bin to just go buy new if it's something I didn't have already No worries Toby!

City/State
    Dexter, MI
    Scrambler Year
    84 Alaskan Postal
    Year Purchased
    Quote Originally Posted by BOBCAT View Post
    Way to Go Eric,

You have twice the space between the fan and the idler pulley (without spacer) than I have. As the engine speeds up the fan blades will pull away from the pulley.

Don
    I probably wouldn't have bothered except that there was so much space between the fan and radiator when I test fit it that I figured getting it a little farther forward couldn't hurt.

I just don't like tight tolerances on non-precision moving parts

City/State
    Dexter, MI
    Scrambler Year
    84 Alaskan Postal
    Year Purchased
    Picked up the Mallory fuel pressure regulator that I should have gotten in the first place. Haven't had time to install it yet. Heading out of town this weekend and won't get back on it until next week.

Wanted to write out a list of what's left to try and think this all through.

Here's what's not hooked up on the electrical/wiring side:
    -diagnostic port: have wires IDed in harness, just need to locate it and wire it in

-MIL light: this will be fun. needs to come out of the circuitboards from the back of the gauge cluster... details in different threads on cjoffroad.com, need more research. since I don't have emissions, may not want to bother.

-O2 sensors: when exhaust goes in. debating on #2, don't want to spend on a catalytic converter.

-fuel level sensor wire: 100 ohm resistor will give needed signal to computer, may trip an occasional code for not using enough gas to travel some given distance, I don't care about that as long as it's not constant and it shouldn't be. I was wondering about a way to wire up a circuit that would decrease resistance over time in the range that the sensor looks for... seems like it could be done but I just don't care enough to try.

-battery temp sensor wire: another 100 ohm resistor to fool the computer, simple)

-tachometer: think I just have to splice into the coil + wire

-VSS- need to install Hesco 2-wire connector on the stock 3-wire setup, need research, connect to Hesco VSS/spedo unit

-voltmeter: it seems to be reading, but there was a wire that went to the alternator plug that's an odd single-strand black wire that I thought was the feed to the alternator... its currently not connected. Need to look that dealio up to see what needs to happen there. (anyone know?)

-OBA: last on the list, need to source a tank cheap anyway, have relay feed pulled to hook to switch and was planning on reusing stock high pressure switch.

-I have a few wires that I IDed from the FSM and kept, but I don't know their function or how it relates to the computer running. Need to find out about those and thin/connect as needed.

Mechanical things not hooked up or needed
    -tcase/driveshafts, ready to bolt in, won't clock it at this time.

-fenders/grille/radiator/headlights/etc: need to locate computer, might be on top of driver's fender by the looks of things.

-fuel pressure regulator

-fill/burp coolant system

-plumb in tranny cooler lines

-bleed power steering

-reinstall and/or secure all vent fittings

-fab tranny shifter link: looks like something can be made to work off of my stock floor shifter I really wanted to keep that unique feature of the postal

-twin stick install: FINALLY had all the parts made sitting on the shelf for a couple years

-reinstall winch

I think that's it. Major hurdle now is the exhaust. The rest I can just plug away at...

Hope this all is of some use to folks!

City/State
    Topeka, KS
    Scrambler Year
    Year Purchased
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwalton View Post

-OBA: last on the list, need to source a tank cheap...
    I found several options at a truck salvage yard. They had been part of an air brake system. Ended up using one about 8” in diameter by 24” long. Sits between the two rear cross members.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwalton View Post
    -fenders/grille/radiator/headlights/etc: need to locate computer, might be on top of driver's fender by the looks of things.
    A little extra work, but on the LHD CJ8, there was an obscure place on the firewall below the harness connectors and above the canister where it fit. Mine started out on the RH inner fender but you don’t really need access to the ECU once you have it running.

Later, Ken
    83 CJ8, 4.0 HO/AW4, hybrid 9" f&r, 6:50 gears, Alcans, 38" TSL's

City/State
    Dexter, MI
    Scrambler Year
    84 Alaskan Postal
    Year Purchased
    Quote Originally Posted by ibscrmbln View Post
    [

I found several options at a truck salvage yard. They had been part of an air brake system. Ended up using one about 8” in diameter by 24” long. Sits between the two rear cross members.
    I've heard that trucks can be a good source of cheap tanks, I was definitely going to look at that option.

Quote Originally Posted by ibscrmbln View Post
    A little extra work, but on the LHD CJ8, there was an obscure place on the firewall below the harness connectors and above the canister where it fit. Mine started out on the RH inner fender but you don’t really need access to the ECU once you have it running.
    That's where my battery is, there's no room on my passenger side firewall, only driver's side below the brake booster if I relocate/remove the washer bottle. I really want it up high/protected and I was thinking I could actually get it inside the cab if I opened one wiring harness hole to fit the plugs. Lots of places for the little tranny computer to go.

Thanks for the ideas Ken.

City/State
    Dexter, MI
    Scrambler Year
    84 Alaskan Postal
    Year Purchased
    Hardwired the start and run/start feeds in, wired in resistors for the fuel level sensor and battery temp sensor. Mounted and plumbed in the purge solenoid/charcoal canister and extended the wires in the connector for it so it would reach where I mounted it under the battery tray next to the canister.

Looks like I'll be able to mount both the tranny computer and the PCM inside the tub, which will make the wiring for the data connector all inside the tub as well and makes the harness/wiring in the engine bay pretty clean. Need to clearance the opening in the firewall to fit the PCM connectors and figure out how to solidly mount the PCM, tranny computer will just bolt to the firewall. PCM will go up in the curve under the cowl behind where I have my Cobra CB box mounted.

Bed.

City/State
    Dexter, MI
    Scrambler Year
    84 Alaskan Postal
    Year Purchased
    Got the computers mounted inside the tub up high on my driver's side and ran the harnesses in through an existing hole (after a little Dremel lovin') where the stock computer wiring ran originally, I cut a piece of rubber tube to put around the edges as a grommet and will wrap the wiring:

Hole:

Tranny computer in:

Both computers bolted in with harnesses attached, looks like a rats nest. I also have the control box for my Cobra CB mounted in the same area, so that makes it that much worse.

Harnesses run over the brake booster, will wrap them and tie them up later:

Got the fenders on, bracing in, grille on (needs tightened up) and bumper installed:

I just called Hesco because the new VSS and 2-wire connector I got to use in the conversion (to keep stock CJ speedo and also send VSS signal to computer) didn't have any instructions and cjoffroad is down (again). Benny was helpful after initially saying "look at the wiring diagram since the colors are all different between years". Obviously, I don't have any diagram for the new VSS, and that was the reason I called. After explaining I just needed to know the positions for the two wire functions that are left after eliminating the voltage feed, he hooked me up. Don't ask me why they don't send this info with the parts or at least post it on their site.

Here's the deal for the 3-wire to 2-wire conversion on the Hesco VSS:
    -You eliminate the voltage feed wire to the VSS, the new one creates its own pulses.
    -Hold the new connector so you're looking at the back of it (the side you'll be inserting the wire/pin into) with the tang/clip facing up:
    -The ground wire goes in the right-hand position
    -The signal wire will go in the left-hand side.

Stock 97XJ VSS plug with three wires:

Hesco plug kit:

Wired Hesco plug, ground on right, signal on left, removed the purple/orange tracer wire that was the supply voltage:
    Last edited by bigwalton; 06-21-2009 at 10:27 PM. Reason: added pics

City/State
    Dexter, MI
    Scrambler Year
    84 Alaskan Postal
    Year Purchased
    Front end reassembled
    PDC mounted (cut/bent/drilled the stock mounting feet and put it on driver's fender):

Many of the stock wiring tie-down spots were perfect for securing the harnesses.

Coolant filled, needs burped & topped off
    Tranny cooler plumbed, needs topped off
    Wired up the fuel pump power permanently
    Changed out VSS plug to 2-wire
    plumbed in vacuum for power brakes
    reconnected ebrake switch

Found out I got the wrong fuel pressure regulator AGAIN! apparently there's some false info out there, even at the part stores, that the 4309 regulator from Mallory can be set to work with higher pressures. It's a 3-12 PSI unit and it does come with a replacement plunger for a Mallory fuel pump that will allow it to be used at EFI pressure, but only when used with that specific pump.

So I'll return this one and I ordered the proper unit off eBay from Summit last night. The 4305M is the proper 30-100 PSI unit. My part store didn't have that one as available and called to check on the 4309, that's when they said it could be made to work, it can't.
    Last edited by bigwalton; 06-19-2009 at 01:01 PM. Reason: added pics.

City/State
    Dexter, MI
    Scrambler Year
    84 Alaskan Postal
    Year Purchased
    Tranny shifter fabbed, need to try it out more to see if I have it right.

Tcase mounted, have to shorten the rear driveshaft and lengthen the front, probably means the twin stick will have problems

Vent lines connected and secured

VSS/speedo cable installed

Winch installed

Air filter mount installed

Items left to drive (I think):
    driveshaft shortening/lengthening
    burp coolant
    bleed power steering
    top off tranny

Needed to finish things out:
    fuel pressure regulator
    tach hookup
    water temp sensor
    loose wire from CJ alternator plug
    twin stick
    MIL light
    data port

City/State
    Dexter, MI
    Scrambler Year
    84 Alaskan Postal
    Year Purchased
    Need to play with the shifter, P on the shifter is R on the tranny.

Other than the exhaust/O2 sensors and the driveshafts, it's ready to drive. Fired it up today to run for a while since it's got all the needed fluids and parts. Idles rough, but just off-idle it sounds GREAT! No leaks, no visible/audible problems! I was pretty stoked.

Burped the coolant, still need to top off the tranny fluid.

Found a couple driveshaft places ~30-40 minutes from here, of course none were open on Sat. I'll probably have to talk to them on the phone and then drop the driveshafts off in the evening to pick up the next night or something, because I can't make it to any of them during the day without taking time off work I'd guess they're all 8-5 type shops.

Pressure regulator should be here Tues. I'll slap it in ASAP, plumbing is there for it already.

SOOO close...