• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

84 CJ8 4 link coil over project underway

ttrdiablo

Yeah I said it!
City
Hutto
State
Tx
Hey guys,

Sorry I've been MIA since Texas Twister. Well thanks to FoolInjected (TJO forum) I'm in the process of converting the Scrambler from spring over leaf spring suspension to a 3-link front + 4-link rear coil over suspension.

List:
Have - Front Dana 60 (locked 4:56 gears Disk brakes) & BTF arms.
Have - Rear 14 Bolt (locked 4:56 gears Disk brakes)
Stak II-speed transfer case
To be ordered - Staun Bead locks
Have - 39" Pitbulls
Have - 17" American racing wheels
To Do - Full Cage
Extend wheel base (approx 119)
Have - Custom dash + new gauges + paint
Have - Corbeau Seats
Have - 5 point harness
Missing - Front 3-links (Still need to design + locate)
Have - Rear 4-links (Still need to design + locate)
Have - Front Shocks
On order - Front Coils
Have - Rear Shocks
Have - Rear Coils
Have - AMC 360 V8 (Installed)
Have - PSC Hydrolic assist steering kit
Have - JY half doors (ready for paint - need to trade black canvas half top windows for black vinyl to match full vinyl soft top)
Have - TJ coil over brackets
Have - Ballastic Forged Heim Joints + link brackets

I've been collecting parts to get this project started and as time permits will post my progress. I really enjoy reading up on ya'lls projects myself so it's time I return the favor.

Despite the much needed rain, my buddy Mark and I made some good progress this weekend;

Mark got the frame cut off
DSC01506-1.jpg

I cut out the existing fender wells and new fender location
DSC01510-1.jpg

DSC01508-1.jpg

Mark welded in the new frame - Welding and bracing coming soon
(narrowed, angled in and as high as possible)
DSC01520-1.jpg

DSC01515-1.jpg

I notched the frame and Mark welded the TJ coil over upper brackets
(Angled by 10 degrees foward leaving just enough room for the rear bench seat)
DSC01526-1.jpg

DSC01516-1.jpg

I cut off several inches of the rear body
(Notched to allow frame to meet with bumper)
DSC01524-1.jpg

Mark and I started working on the bumper to close out the frame. Following are the cross members. Pending on winch and fuel cell.
(Recessed receiver - pin through backside, cut out for reverse tail lights, and notched corners)
DSC01529-1.jpg

DSC01527-1.jpg

Next on the to do list:
Weld on bumper
Frame cross members
brace frame joints
complete welding on frame

There is still obvioulsy lots to do. I'm so thankful to Mark for allowing me to take his garage hostage for this project.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Cool looking build, :thumbsup: somehow I missed it til now. Any more progress?

ttrdiablo

Yeah I said it!
City
Hutto
State
Tx
Update

Our buddy Richard from San Angelo dropped by this weekend to lend Mark and I a hand. Here are the progress pics;

DSC01539-1.jpg

DSC01546-1.jpg

DSC01549-1.jpg

NOTE: the added metal to prevent the receiver from hitting the gas tank is shoved to far by accident.
DSC01551-1.jpg

DSC01553-1.jpg

We accomplished to protect and mount the gas tank. Mark ran went around and completed the welding on the frame. The rear bumper was welded on and the cross member/winch mount was also welded into place. The lower link brackets were weled on to the axle. We almost completed the lower link brackets on the frame (no pics yet but these are going to be haus) We also started on the frame braces. Next step is to complete the brackets and links mock up. As well as the frame bracing followed by the fab of a gas tank skid plate (just in case).

Thanks to Richard for the hand and loaning us his Plasma cutter. Also a cont. thnx to Mark for doing all the welding for me.:wave:

ttrdiablo

Yeah I said it!
City
Hutto
State
Tx
X-mas came early

Stauns just arrived!
IMG_2311-1.jpg

Staun is running a buy 3 get one free. I was not going to buy them until towards the end of the project, but the price was right. Coild springs arrived as well (no pics yet) Links are currently at machine shop getting drilled and tapped and should be ava. next week and will be able to wrap up the rear suspension soon. Then it's off to the front suspension.

Mando

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I've always thought that the Stauns would be the way I'd go if I was stepping up to beadlocks...4 for 3 is a nice deal :thumbsup: Can't wait to see the rest come together!

bigjeepnfool

Legacy Registered User
City
Milford
State
MA
Cool build thread......I will eventually link my jeep, so I would like to see what you come up with and how you like it. I can't tell from the pics but are there only 4 tabs holding the fuel cell in??? You may want to consider a couple of straps that run under the tank for support....I know my brother kept breaking tabs and tearing the fuel cell up on his before he strapped it. Keep up the progress and posting the pics....it helps keep you honest on a long project.

The only problem I've seen with stauns is they push on the sidewall when you are aired down and can cause the sidewalls to get punctured when you are up against a sharp rock as the tire is unable to flex with the staun pushing on the sidewall.

-Will

ttrdiablo

Yeah I said it!
City
Hutto
State
Tx
Progress Update

Guys,

Sorry for the delay. With a few family events and the holidays things started to slow down a bit for me. (Sorry Mark for hogging up your garage). So the links are complete and installed. Check out the brackets. These links are brackets are pretty darn stout.

Rear view of links (sorry for the bad pic)
DSC01728-1.jpg

Driver side upper links
DSC01729-1.jpg

DSC01725-1.jpg

Passenger side Upper Links
DSC01727-1.jpg

DSC01720-1.jpg

Driver Side lower link
DSC01724-1.jpg

Passenger side lower link
DSC01721-1.jpg

Rear Upper links (perfect clearance)
DSC01722-1.jpg

DSC01723-1.jpg

Got all grade 8 bolts, nuts, washers, and lock washers. Ready to test the springs/articulation next.

One more thing: Look what Santa brought early: (coil over front shock hoop kit with limiting straps)
DSC01730-1.jpg

Will: Thanks for the feedback. As for the tank - I have a 1/4 aluminum skid plate that is going right underneath the gas tank (Sandwich the tabs) but I will look into strapping it as well as it sounds like a good idea for preventative future repairs (that is the goal on this build to minimize having to worry so much). The tank still has some plumming and re-engineering to go through so we'll address it then. Thnx again.

Happy Thanks Giving!

bigjeepnfool

Legacy Registered User
City
Milford
State
MA
Looks great!!!!! I Like the frame link brackets. Now, when do we get to see some video of it in action????:cheers:

ttrdiablo

Yeah I said it!
City
Hutto
State
Tx
Back on the saddle again

Hey guys,

I was finally able to get back to the project so here are a few details of what I've done so far as progress goes.

I worked on the Fuel cell guts. I got these fuel pick ups from Auto Performance Engineering. (MP-12 & MP-13) Some fittings, high pressure fuel line, hard line, and stainless steel hose clamps.

http://www.autoperformanceengineering.com/html/pickups.html
Here is a layout of the guts.
IMG_0626-1.jpg

Here is an inside view of the guts inside (Passenger side)
IMG_0620-1.jpg

Here is an inside view of the guts inside (Driver side). Note the return line (elbow not in pic yet) dropping right back on the fuel pick up.
IMG_0624.jpg

Now that the guts are all mocked up, I was able to drop off the tank with Wayne (the aluminum welding pro) from Cactus Metals to weld the fuel pick up fitting, the return line fitting, Fuel and vent hose inlets, cut out and plate the existing Fuel pick up and return stock fittings. Should be ready in a few days.

I also picked up a 1/4" aluminum plate to function as the fuel cell skid plate. To conform to the frame we designed I took the skid plate to Taylor Machine to have it bent. Here is a pic of the tank and skid plate mocked up.
IMG_0627-1.jpg

Here is a view from the drivers side. Hard to believe there is 17 gallons in there.:thumbsup:
IMG_0629-1.jpg

I also got around to working on the Rear Winch (3k lbs) above the rear axle, between the frame on a cross member with a pulley system. Still not finished but click here to view the Winch in action Video1 and Video2 This will allow me to squeeze the Scrambler into the garage as well as allow me to suck down the rear in a steep downhill situation.

I miscalculated the lower links by an inch so I was forced to make new links. They are finally in place and painted. Curently pending waiting on the Rear Scrambler crush corners and tube fenders. So more updates coming soon.:winke:

ttrdiablo

Yeah I said it!
City
Hutto
State
Tx
build continued

Things are starting to pick up. Here are a few more pics of some recent progress.

Here is the tank back from Cactus Metals.

The pick up Fuel fitting and Fuel Return fitting.
DSC02197-1.jpg

Wayne from Cactus Metals cut off the original fittings on top of the tank and added a plate. Those welds are sweet!
DSC02198-1.jpg

Check out the inside view of the corner I had Wayne cut out in order to add a Fuel fill neck and vent neck to the tank.
DSC02200-1.jpg

Here is a pic of the outside
DSC02202-1.jpg

Here is another view of the guts finally in place. Note the 90 degree elbow return line to drop back into a fuel pick up. Had to go around the fuel gage.
DSC02248-1.jpg

View of the frame cut out to sneak the fuel hoses
DSC02242-1.jpg

Here is a view with the hoses
DSC02236-1.jpg

Next Mark welded the BTF brackets in place for the limiting straps (18") and I drilled out the upper holes. (note: the jeep is raised to make room for my fat arse but will not sit this tall)
DSC02282-1.jpg

Here is the view from the rear. I finally completed the routing of the brake lines. Mark built some pretty kewl 1/4" thick brackets to hold the fitting in place and brake line are protected.
DSC02280-1.jpg

Removed the Dana 300 T-case (Up for sale!) and skid plate. Waiting on the Crush corners, fender, and tube fenders from T&T (Shipping this week!) More updates as they come up.

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
You might want to support that fuel pick-up. That'll vibrate and break eventually-

ttrdiablo

Yeah I said it!
City
Hutto
State
Tx
Feedback

Thnx for the feedback. The internal fuel line is fixed and has worked in Mark's Jeep for 4 years with the same setup with no problems. Don't think it will be a problem.:shrug:
DSC02244-1.jpg

IMG_0620-1.jpg

ttrdiablo

Yeah I said it!
City
Hutto
State
Tx
Today's update

So the blank 3/16" Rear crush corners finally arrived and the rear of the Jeep is starting to take shape. I was not content with the flimsy 18 gauge steel fender flares. So, I cut the plate out and Mark welded a 3/16 plate. We managed to get the gas cover/neck mocked up. The gas hoses are perfect and will be hidden by an inner fender to the inner fender. We also mocked up the inner fender with card board before bending/breaking the actual inner fender of 16g steel. Moving the inner fender out ward due to the full width axle and tires being so far out I have managed to increase my interior space. Looking to also add a 42" bench seat vs the 34" CJ seat (BTW going to sell soon). Building a custom "Break box" device this weekend so we can build the rear inner fender out of one piece and reduce the amount of welding and for added strength. I also got the front replacement fenders but those will be installed later. I'll post pics of more progress soon.

DSC02387-1.jpg

DSC02398-1.jpg

DSC02409-1.jpg

DSC02394-1.jpg

DSC02412-1.jpg

DSC02410-1.jpg

DSC02404-1.jpg

DSC02405-1.jpg

DSC02406-1.jpg

ttrdiablo

Yeah I said it!
City
Hutto
State
Tx
Box Break in action

Purchased all the metal for the box break we are building. Mark and I got 80% of it completed and we tested it out on the box for the coil overs. Tomorrow we'll wrap up the box break and I'll share photos of it completed. We'll also get started on the rest of the inner wheel well and I''ll share pics of it next.

Using carboard template traced onto 16g steel and cut out
DSC02416-1.jpg

Inside view
DSC02418-1.jpg

Outside view
DSC02419-1.jpg

ttrdiablo

Yeah I said it!
City
Hutto
State
Tx
progress continues

Well Mark and I busted butt all day today getting the box break completed so we can get going on the body work. We got all our bends done for the driver side and Mark tack welded it in place for now.

DSC02422-1.jpg

DSC02420-1.jpg

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
That is just awesome! :bow: I'm jealous because I need to really do something about the rear wheelwells on mine.

Fantastic work!

ttrdiablo

Yeah I said it!
City
Hutto
State
Tx
Rear Fenders

Well due to moving my axle towards the rear, the stock "rounded" CJ8 inner wheel wells would not work. My thought was to use the CJ7/5 style inner wheel wells would work and they would. However, I noticed that with my wheels being so far out (due to full width) I was able to gain more interior room by moving the inner wheel well out. So the decision was made not to cut up my new CJ7/5 style inner fenders and build new one's from scratch. I went to our local metal shop and purchased all the metal we needed to build our own box break as well as the 16g steel sheets to make the inner wheel wells. The total cost to build the press break was approx $130 and took approx 4 hrs to build. It is about 6' wide and can bend 16g with ease (have not tried anything thicker but suspect it can go thicker with no problems). A 36" wide box break at Harbor Freight is approx $250 and it's cheesy!. I'll share pics of ours soon.

You can see in this pic the new CJ7/5 Style inner wheels wells in the background laying in the front cab floor
DSC02405-1.jpg

Last edited: