• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Camper Special

Panther

Scrambler Nut
City
Methuen
State
MA
Well, if any of you noticed the "New World Cabs" thread that jscherb posted in scramblings you'll see pictures of my M725 project. If moderators want to move this elsewhere that's fine but I figured I'd start a thread on this project if anyone is interested in following.

The goal is to build an Expedition Camper 4x4.
In doing the research I choose the M725 Military Ambulance for a few reasons:
1) It's cool and cheap
2) it's 1 1/4 ton 4x4 platform is a good base to work from
3) it would make a good tow rig for the scrambler
4) they are heavy duty
5) they usually have low miles and aren't complete rust buckets like CJ's
6) the box in the back is 8ft long, 6ft wide and 5ft high

The drawbacks are:
1) it has the aerodynamics of a brick
2) the stock engine is 150hp
3) the 5.89 gears and no overdrive mean top spead is 55mph
4) axles have military spec rims with limited availability
5) the electrical is 24V
6) manual steering and brakes
7) height of the box only 5ft

The idea is to have towing ability and good gas mileage so the entire drivetrain needs to be replaced. I should also add this the project is essentially 2 phases, build the base vehicle with upgraded drivetrain and then build the camper.

In phase 1 I'm looking at a donor 93 dodge w250 with 6bt, 727, np205, dana 60 front and 70rear.
This would all be swapped over to the M725. For the vehicles thus far, I'm looking at getting both for under 2k which I think is good economical start.
Here are some pics:
img180.jpg

img174.jpg

img178.jpg

img170.jpg

Panther

Scrambler Nut
City
Methuen
State
MA
That is true but it looks like the box has more height than the M725 and I like the winch.

Speaking of the box, the camper phase will have bathroom, kitchen, small table & chairs, closet and storage. Also hot water, heater and AC.

A trailer in tough shape would probably make the best donor for the shower, toilet, sink, stove, plumbing, electrical etc.

And for the bed I figure a pop up like this or something similar would work:
BdJInwBWkKGrHqIHEEqudkqnnkBK3nD0j7_12JPG-1.jpg

Also, I'd be adding vented windows.

I have some ideas for layouts that I've grabbed from custom campers online.

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
City
Piney woods
State
tx
M725 bambulance

I thought about doing exact build....but wimped out for now and doing slide in camper.

M trucks are ... Basically same as my 67 Gladiator.

Those huge wheelwells are begging for 37" army takeoff tires.

I'm sure U've heard of M715 Zone.

Rich Brandi @ Brandi's 4x4 in PA has the white 725 that makes All breeds jeep show every year.
He's doing diesel swap right now.
Got a roof party rack with trick pull down ladder.

Would be plenty strong for a hanibal roof top tent.

I'm bored with CJ's and really enjoying learning about all the other models.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
This thread isn't going ANYWHERE, it's right where it belongs! I think everyone would agree that this idea/build/vehicle MUST be watched.

I'll be looking forward to all the great details... :thumbsup:

jeffs396

mini Scrambler
City
NE
State
OH
Love that truck! :thumbsup:

I'll be following your build closely...I'm kinda partial to FSJs :D

Subscribed :smokin:

charliev

Basic User
City
Cape Cod
State
ma
Panther,

Looks very cool. From last weekends expo I can say without a doubt that rooftop tents are the way to go. A 6BT is definitely the way to go regarding power. Just remember, here in NE if you make it any taller you won't be able to take it on the trails. Once you add a RTT you're going to be that much taller. Try and incorporate the RTT into the body of the truck so when it's up you can stand (with the bed being able to flip to one side). I'm linking a company that i'm familiar with so you can get some ideas and/or use for fab work.

http://davidmarchand.com/

What are you going to do with the axles currentlty under the M725? Does it have the typical Dana 44 front FSJ WT like in a J-truck?

MarknessMonster

Amiable Jeeper
City
Western
State
CO
What are you going to do with the axles currentlty under the M725? Does it have the typical Dana 44 front FSJ WT like in a J-truck?

Late 60's M-series Jeep trucks are very different from the civilian FSJ trucks. They basically only share the front grill area, and the lower section of the body tub on all except the M725. Even the front end is different, but the one pictured has been modified with FSJ components. The fenders are different, the windshields are different, the hoods are even slightly different and the rear cargo or boxes are nothing like FSJ trucks. The axles are D60 and D70 with 5.89 ratios. The wide wheel wells will accept a 38" tire without a lift. The electric system is 24V, with twin batteries in the cab. The engine is a military version of the "hemi" 230 Tornado, with excellent low-end torque. There is a PTO outlet to run a winch off the T-98 transmission, and many MXX were set up with such a winch. It's got a basic cab design with a big flat metal dash and unique 24V gauges. The suspension is rated at 5/4 tons...among other items.

Late 60's MXXX Jeep trucks are very unique vehicles. As such, I'd be hesitant on cutting the body for modifications of any kind, as someday it might be regretted. These Jeeps were about as limited in production as were the CJ8 Scramblers.

Panther

Scrambler Nut
City
Methuen
State
MA
why do it?

Well said. The only thing I'd add about the axles in that the front is the less desireable closed knuckle, the bolt pattern is a strange military specific 6 lug and the spline count is different than the new dana's. I will be selling them but the market is pretty much just these M series.

I like the FSJ as well, especially compared to the CJ. Cost is less, parts are easy to come by (not as much aftermarket), with the M series there's less rust, you fit 38's with no lift and IMO equally as cool. You gotta love the rhino grill.

I saw the pictures of your trip Charlie, looks like a good time and that's probably considered more difficult for this rig but doable. It's afterall a camper so there's water, food, dishes, stuff bouncing around on the box so I can't go too crazy.

The question has been asked of me, "that's a lot of work, expense and time, why bother?"

That leads to the motization behind this whole project, why do it?
The goal is to build a vehicle to live in for extended periods, maybe years.

If you could do anything and money wasn't an issue, what would you do?

Most would travel and I'm no different, I'd go to every national park, staying there for weeks camping. I'd love to leave behind the problems of everyday life, bills, business, stress and live in an RV. The dream of enjoying life through the accumilation of things isn't working for me. If I plan properly for the next year or so, I think I can do it. It may be that financially it's not possible to do for a year plus, fine, I'm do 2-3 long trips a year. Reading about folks that do this by living frugally, being creative and daring to do something different makes me think I want to try that. If you want to see what I mean (and want a good laugh) go to http://www.cheaprvliving.com/ You can then learn about boondocking, stealth :rotfl:

I would like to also trailer the scrambler around the country running all the best trails.

So there you have it, you're my witnesses if I chicken out on this thing.
That's the goal

JeepScrambler

CJ-oholic
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Claflin
State
KS
I can't wait to see this build get started! I think your drivetrain specs you have picked out are almost exactly how I would build one if I had a M725! Have you considered using an NV4500 instead of the 727? I realize you said the truck you are looking at that already has the 727 transmission in it, but the overdrive would be nice if you are going to be running down the highway. Or, better yet, run an NV5600 6 spd! They are huge trannys but I think the M725 would have plenty of room to fit it. A 12 valve CTD with the NV5600 would be the ultimate in simplicity with the 12 valve and great drivability with the NV5600, IMO. Sorry, I'm doing a lot of thinking out loud on this one! Looking forward to the build!:thumbsup:

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Most would travel and I'm no different, I'd go to every national park, staying there for weeks camping. I'd love to leave behind the problems of everyday life, bills, business, stress and live in an RV. The dream of enjoying life through the accumilation of things isn't working for me. If I plan properly for the next year or so, I think I can do it. It may be that financially it's not possible to do for a year plus, fine, I'm do 2-3 long trips a year. Reading about folks that do this by living frugally, being creative and daring to do something different makes me think I want to try that. If you want to see what I mean (and want a good laugh) go to http://www.cheaprvliving.com/ You can then learn about boondocking, stealth :rotfl:

I would like to also trailer the scrambler around the country running all the best trails.

So there you have it, you're my witnesses if I chicken out on this thing.
That's the goal

Fascinating!! This brings up so many questions. I could talk to you for hours on this...

All of the parking stuff would seem to be so much harder because your vehicle will fit in exactly nowhere (which is why it's cool :thumbsup:) and with the Scrambler, it would be impossible in anywhere other than the wilderness, that's not a bad thing until you need to work.

The budget they have leaves off any kind of health insurance.

What if you're doing this alone out in the woods (no Scrambler with you) and the vehicle breaks down? You could carry a certain number of spare parts, but if it's something you don't have?

How do you get/pay bills? Not everything can be done online yet.

Oh the questions! Don't take any of that as anything other than curiosity on my part. I think it's so incredibly awesome though, I can't wait to see this come together! You just have to promise to keep internet access and post up here!!!:wave::wave::wave:

Panther

Scrambler Nut
City
Methuen
State
MA
I thought you might like this Eric, I just revisited your Alaska trip and it's one a handfull of adventures that inspires me.

The answer to many questions right now is I don't know.

The main host on the cheap rv site is Bob Wells but also there is Jim Jaillet author of Panama or Bust and he talks about needing $1000 a month and has some medical coverage. He also talks more about working on his rv, spare parts, what to bring in much more detail.

As far as bills, there just aren't as many, car insurance and a cell phone. For personal finances, I woud turn my house over to a property manager and break even on rent verses expenses. I have investments to cover consumer debt (credit cards etc). I'd probably have to sell my car because I really don't want debt incurred on this project. For additional income, I'm not sure, a couple thoughts are seasonal postal/fedex jobs or even better campsite jobs. There's a whole network called Workamper that post jobs at campgrounds around the country.

Unless you are independantly wealthy, you don't do something like this with everything in order, there's sure to be problems as you step into the unknown. There's sure to be risks, I figure take em before the woulda_shoulda_coulda's

Panther

Scrambler Nut
City
Methuen
State
MA
auto vs stick

JeepScrambler, I'd agree, it's probably better to have a NV4500, at this time I'm working with what I have. Auto's are a bit of an unknown for me, had a 727 in a grand wag but never worked on it, I've always had sticks. First thought favored an auto but the overdrive is a drawback.

I suppose it depends on the gearing on the axles. I'd like to run a goodyear 37" MT/R and if it has 4.10's that's probably a decent rpm for the 6bt (w/o doing the math). The gas mileage makes a HUGE difference here especially covering long distances but I may go that route, the extra expense have to pay for itself in MPG.

I agree, I think this would make for one sick rig even if it never makes the phase 2 camper.

But to go back to what you were saying MarknessMonster about not cutting the body, I don't think it's possible. There's no ventilation or windows, it'd turn into an oven back there. Also, I'd probably drop the floor are for the shower a foot for extra room. I don't want this to be a hack job but it does have to be practical. Remember, it's scrap if I didn't buy it.

Thanks for the interest and input, appreciate it.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Right on... too cool!

I'm all for making it into whatever you need. It's being used, it's happy. The scrap issue aside, if everyone left "rare" vehicles alone and didn't enjoy them and do what they wanted, there'd be a boatload of rusted out hulks sitting around waiting for someone that didn't want to modify it in any way.

People have asked me about doing what I have done to my postal, since it's "rare" and I always say it would likely be rotting in the lot where I got it or someone else who just wanted a cheap Jeep would have bought it and trashed the hard top (a very common occurrence with these after they were sold to the public) to beat on in the woods until it died and went for scrap.

Get 'er done! :thumbsup:

jscherb

CJ-8 Member
City
Elmira
State
NY
Right on... too cool!

I'm all for making it into whatever you need. It's being used, it's happy. The scrap issue aside, if everyone left "rare" vehicles alone and didn't enjoy them and do what they wanted, there'd be a boatload of rusted out hulks sitting around waiting for someone that didn't want to modify it in any way.

People have asked me about doing what I have done to my postal, since it's "rare" and I always say it would likely be rotting in the lot where I got it or someone else who just wanted a cheap Jeep would have bought it and trashed the hard top (a very common occurrence with these after they were sold to the public) to beat on in the woods until it died and went for scrap.

Get 'er done! :thumbsup:

X2 - on with the build!

red mistress

Red Jeep Collector
City
Piney woods
State
tx
Brandi's

http://www.jeeptruck.com/brandis/brandis.html

I talked to Rich at length at PA Jeep show year before last.
He's awesome mechanic, machinist & builder and... way ahead of his time.

Build it however you want, not many Jeeps are collectible.

My cousin sold all his personal belongings and took off homelss for 18 months....had a incredible time, met incredible wife on journey, and has very strong work ethic nowadays.
Only go around once.

Panther

Scrambler Nut
City
Methuen
State
MA
Re: Brandi's

Isn't that interesting!? Of all the M725's I've searched that is the look I'm after!
brandism725-1.jpg

charliev

Basic User
City
Cape Cod
State
ma
that's probably considered more difficult for this rig but doable. It's afterall a camper so there's water, food, dishes, stuff bouncing around on the box so I can't go too crazy.

Panther,

The M725 could have done all the trails we did on TVTX, take some more time to look at the Tacoma with the campod, it literally had the kitchen sink. I think the height and width will be your only limiting factors here in the northeast.

Good luck with this build.