Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    City/State
    Hammonton, NJ
    Scrambler Year
    Year Purchased

CJ-7 Hardtop on a Scrambler?

Sorry if this in the wrong place, but I didn't see a catagory that really fit the question. Move it if you must.

I know I've seen 7 tops on 8s, but I have some questions. I know I'd have to fab up some type of bulkhead to seal up the bed below the top, but is the top long enough to clear the rollbar in the back? I know the CJ-7 and the early Wranglers had very similar tubs - would a hardtop from a YJ work on a Scrambler as easily as the 7 top?
    If you've seen my Daily Driver thread, you know my Scrambler has been pressed back into regular service. I'm looking for a quick fix to keep my kids out of the cold, while spending as little as possible, and I can find short hardtops of Craigslist for $300.00 all day, every day. I may go for the Supertop, but I'm trying to weigh my options.
    1981 Scrambler
    2005 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

City/State
    Spring Hope, NC
    Scrambler Year
    Year Purchased
    I think that's what they did on Extreme 4X4 when they built their Scrambler. I don't remember if they used a CJ top or a later top.
    '84 CJ8
    '85 CJ7
    '98 XJ

City/State
    Goose Creek, SC
    Scrambler Year
    1982 Auto 258
    Year Purchased
    I've looked at the option before though never test fitted a top. The 7 top will clear the roll bar by a couple of inches. You will need to notch the rear of the top so it will sit down properly.

Instead of fabbing a bulkhead, make a deck. It would be a lot easier since you don't have to work around the roll bar. This will not only seal in the back, but make the area dry and secure. It would be easy to do by taking a flat piece of metal. angling the sides, turn the front up for a lip and working the back down too. If you want to make it more like a trunk lid, it could also be done but is a lot more work.
    Scrambless
    02 Grand Cherokee

City/State
    Warner Robins, GA
    Scrambler Year
    1984 Custom Rollcage
    I have an interest in this thread, I too use my CJ-8 for a daily driver and my sweetie complains about the soft top popping and being cold. (wah wah) Still I want her to be comfortable and I am not getting rid of the Scrambler.

City/State
    Reston, VA
    Scrambler Year
    2x82
    Have you thought about cutting off the top and back of your old van and asking jscherb to make you a Vanbler!

City/State
    Hammonton, NJ
    Scrambler Year
    Year Purchased
    Quote Originally Posted by rustycrawler View Post
    Have you thought about cutting off the top and back of your old van and asking jscherb to make you a Vanbler!
    No..no, I can't say that idea crossed my mind. However, if it did...I think I'd have to call it a ScramStar. See, my way, the Scrambler part comes first. That's very important.
    1981 Scrambler

City/State
    Warner Robins, GA
    Scrambler Year
    1984 Custom Rollcage

Thumbs up Vanbler!!

Quote Originally Posted by rustycrawler View Post
    A sense of humor, the life blood of any group! I love this! Anyone a photoshop guy, that pic would be priceless!
    Last edited by Apostle; 02-17-2010 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Added title

City/State
    Yorktown, Va
    Scrambler Year
    81' 4cyl, 85' 6cyl
    Year Purchased
    02-05'
    They fit fine. I have one sitting in the back yard ready to go it you want it.

All you have to do is cut 2 notches to clear the side rail where it will pass through the back part of the hard top.

Then get a small piece of Sheet Steel or Aluminum to caver the area between the rear hatch and the tailgate of the scrambler.

I bet that a YJ top will work too. But you will need to fabricate a small tab or hook and latch to keep the rear hatch shut as it is a little shorter with no built in latch like the CJ. It uses the rear gate to keep it closed.

Carl
    Projects:
    81' CJ-8, 85' Rust bucket, 84' CJ-7 frame off, 81' Project
    Driveable: 01'-TJ Sport

City/State
    East Norriton, PA
    Scrambler Year
    '81 & '82
    Year Purchased
    '93
    I would go for the "deck" option as opposed to the bulkhead. Much easier. And when you can, get a real "8" top. IMHO the "7/YJ" tops look like but on an "8" but you gotta do what you gotta do. You gotta keep the kids warm. Some YJ tops have the t-handle to keep the hatch closed, I think it is the older top that are like that. My friend has a YJ top and full doors for sale for $500 in Palm, PA- near Quakertown.
    Last edited by barrys; 02-17-2010 at 02:38 PM.

City/State
    elizabethville, pa
    Scrambler Year
    1981 cj8
    Year Purchased
    pm sent

City/State
    Provo, UT
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Slone View Post
    I think that's what they did on Extreme 4X4 when they built their Scrambler. I don't remember if they used a CJ top or a later top.
    Yeah, pretty sure they used a CJ top for that, but I see no reason why a YJ top would not work just as well. The biggest thing, of course, about the YJ is that it requires the tailgate to open prior to the lift gate, ergo you would have to rig that somehow. A CJ top would certainly be a lot simpler to do.

By the way, that Extreme 4x4 scram was the butt ugliest thing I have seen in a VERY long time! That thing made me SO sad to see.

Personally I would rather see the thing go to the crusher than be humiliated with a CJ/YJ top, wow that looks so gay. I guess if you have no choice and you need it for your family you can give it a go, but I sure hope you intend to get rid of it at your first opportunity.

And since people are talking about odd top configurations... Why doesn't anyone make a Scram top like the JK, with two or three parts so you can actually pick the darn thing up!?
    Last edited by Ford Prefect; 02-19-2010 at 04:49 PM.

City/State
    Reston, VA
    Scrambler Year
    2x82
    Three full Scrambler hardtops for sale on eBay....two reasonably priced at the moment.

City/State
    Hammonton, NJ
    Scrambler Year
    Year Purchased
    Well, I'm still kicking around ideas, and I've received some very helpful PMs from folks here.
    I just removed my bulkhead for the first time in my 24 years of Scrambler ownership. I think I developed a twitch while screwing up the courage to back out those bolts. That was one place on my Jeep that never leaked, and I didn't find any rust under there. I started playing with positioning for my backseat, and when I lined it up with the factory mounting points......Well, let's just say my 9 year old would have to stop growing this weekend. It looks like I should be able to slide it back a few inches and still clear the tank and the floor supports. I'll go back out in the morning and do some more precise fitting, then drill a couple of pilot holes. I gotta admit, with all those nice, new black seats in there, it looks kinda snazzy.
    1981 Scrambler

City/State
    right near the lake, OH
    Scrambler Year
    Year Purchased
    Quote Originally Posted by Ford Prefect View Post

By the way, that Extreme 4x4 scram was the butt ugliest thing I have seen in a VERY long time! That thing made me SO sad to see.

Personally I would rather see the thing go to the crusher than be humiliated with a CJ/YJ top, wow that looks so gay. I guess if you have no choice and you need it for your family you can give it a go, but I sure hope you intend to get rid of it at your first opportunity.

And since people are talking about odd top configurations... Why doesn't anyone make a Scram top like the JK, with two or three parts so you can actually pick the darn thing up!?
    I agree!
    1985 Cj8 Project!

City/State
    Reston, VA
    Scrambler Year
    2x82
    Quote Originally Posted by scrambler81 View Post
    I started playing with positioning for my backseat, and when I lined it up with the factory mounting points......Well, let's just say my 9 year old would have to stop growing this weekend.
    I think the factory mounting points assumed the back seat was rear facing. You were basically sitting in the bed of the truck.
    Attached Images Attached Images