• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

CJ-7 Hardtop on a Scrambler?

scrambler81

Basic User
City
Hammonton
State
NJ
Sorry if this in the wrong place, but I didn't see a catagory that really fit the question. Move it if you must.

I know I've seen 7 tops on 8s, but I have some questions. I know I'd have to fab up some type of bulkhead to seal up the bed below the top, but is the top long enough to clear the rollbar in the back? I know the CJ-7 and the early Wranglers had very similar tubs - would a hardtop from a YJ work on a Scrambler as easily as the 7 top?
If you've seen my Daily Driver thread, you know my Scrambler has been pressed back into regular service. I'm looking for a quick fix to keep my kids out of the cold, while spending as little as possible, and I can find short hardtops of Craigslist for $300.00 all day, every day. I may go for the Supertop, but I'm trying to weigh my options.

Robert Slone

Legacy Registered User
City
Spring Hope
State
NC
I think that's what they did on Extreme 4X4 when they built their Scrambler. I don't remember if they used a CJ top or a later top.

kohldad

SOA Member
City
Goose Creek
State
SC
I've looked at the option before though never test fitted a top. The 7 top will clear the roll bar by a couple of inches. You will need to notch the rear of the top so it will sit down properly.

Instead of fabbing a bulkhead, make a deck. It would be a lot easier since you don't have to work around the roll bar. This will not only seal in the back, but make the area dry and secure. It would be easy to do by taking a flat piece of metal. angling the sides, turn the front up for a lip and working the back down too. If you want to make it more like a trunk lid, it could also be done but is a lot more work.

Apostle

Born a Scramblin' Man
City
Warner Robins
State
GA
I have an interest in this thread, I too use my CJ-8 for a daily driver and my sweetie complains about the soft top popping and being cold. (wah wah) Still I want her to be comfortable and I am not getting rid of the Scrambler.

rustycrawler

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Reston
State
VA
Have you thought about cutting off the top and back of your old van and asking jscherb to make you a Vanbler!:eek:

scrambler81

Basic User
City
Hammonton
State
NJ
Have you thought about cutting off the top and back of your old van and asking jscherb to make you a Vanbler!:eek:

No..no, I can't say that idea crossed my mind. However, if it did...I think I'd have to call it a ScramStar. See, my way, the Scrambler part comes first. That's very important. ;)

Apostle

Born a Scramblin' Man
City
Warner Robins
State
GA
Vanbler!!

A sense of humor, the life blood of any group! I love this! Anyone a photoshop guy, that pic would be priceless! :smokin:

Last edited:

CBRogers

Perpetual Parts Collector
Lifetime Member
City
Yorktown
State
Va
They fit fine. I have one sitting in the back yard ready to go it you want it.

All you have to do is cut 2 notches to clear the side rail where it will pass through the back part of the hard top.

Then get a small piece of Sheet Steel or Aluminum to caver the area between the rear hatch and the tailgate of the scrambler.

I bet that a YJ top will work too. But you will need to fabricate a small tab or hook and latch to keep the rear hatch shut as it is a little shorter with no built in latch like the CJ. It uses the rear gate to keep it closed.

Carl

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
I would go for the "deck" option as opposed to the bulkhead. Much easier. And when you can, get a real "8" top. IMHO the "7/YJ" tops look like but on an "8" but you gotta do what you gotta do. You gotta keep the kids warm. Some YJ tops have the t-handle to keep the hatch closed, I think it is the older top that are like that. My friend has a YJ top and full doors for sale for $500 in Palm, PA- near Quakertown.

Last edited:

Ford Prefect

Basic User
City
Provo
State
UT
I think that's what they did on Extreme 4X4 when they built their Scrambler. I don't remember if they used a CJ top or a later top.

Yeah, pretty sure they used a CJ top for that, but I see no reason why a YJ top would not work just as well. The biggest thing, of course, about the YJ is that it requires the tailgate to open prior to the lift gate, ergo you would have to rig that somehow. A CJ top would certainly be a lot simpler to do.

By the way, that Extreme 4x4 scram was the butt ugliest thing I have seen in a VERY long time! That thing made me SO sad to see. :banghead::banghead:

Personally I would rather see the thing go to the crusher than be humiliated with a CJ/YJ top, wow that looks so gay. I guess if you have no choice and you need it for your family you can give it a go, but I sure hope you intend to get rid of it at your first opportunity.:rolleyes:

And since people are talking about odd top configurations... Why doesn't anyone make a Scram top like the JK, with two or three parts so you can actually pick the darn thing up!?

Last edited:

rustycrawler

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Reston
State
VA
Three full Scrambler hardtops for sale on eBay....two reasonably priced at the moment.

scrambler81

Basic User
City
Hammonton
State
NJ
Well, I'm still kicking around ideas, and I've received some very helpful PMs from folks here.
I just removed my bulkhead for the first time in my 24 years of Scrambler ownership. I think I developed a twitch while screwing up the courage to back out those bolts. :eek: That was one place on my Jeep that never leaked, and I didn't find any rust under there. I started playing with positioning for my backseat, and when I lined it up with the factory mounting points......Well, let's just say my 9 year old would have to stop growing this weekend. :rolleyes: It looks like I should be able to slide it back a few inches and still clear the tank and the floor supports. I'll go back out in the morning and do some more precise fitting, then drill a couple of pilot holes. I gotta admit, with all those nice, new black seats in there, it looks kinda snazzy. :cool:

7jeeps7kings

Legacy Registered User
City
right near the lake
State
OH
By the way, that Extreme 4x4 scram was the butt ugliest thing I have seen in a VERY long time! That thing made me SO sad to see. :banghead::banghead:

Personally I would rather see the thing go to the crusher than be humiliated with a CJ/YJ top, wow that looks so gay. I guess if you have no choice and you need it for your family you can give it a go, but I sure hope you intend to get rid of it at your first opportunity.:rolleyes:

And since people are talking about odd top configurations... Why doesn't anyone make a Scram top like the JK, with two or three parts so you can actually pick the darn thing up!?

I agree!

rustycrawler

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Reston
State
VA
I started playing with positioning for my backseat, and when I lined it up with the factory mounting points......Well, let's just say my 9 year old would have to stop growing this weekend. :rolleyes:

I think the factory mounting points assumed the back seat was rear facing. You were basically sitting in the bed of the truck.

Attachments

• Bed%20wseat.JPG
    Bed%20wseat.JPG
    625.3 KB · Views: 241

trust

PITA
City
White Rock
State
NM
FWIW I used a CJ rear seat as shown as a third seat in a FS Cherokee and found that elevating the mount helped a lot for leg room, I used some 4" (I think) or maybe 6" aluminum I beam to rasie the seat mounts, hinged the mounts off the I beam and latched the back side, gave a decent little storage area beneath the seat.

Truck

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Manassas
State
Va
I agree. If you raise the seat up it makes a big difference.

Truck

scrambler81

Basic User
City
Hammonton
State
NJ
Well, the back seat and seatbelts are mounted, and it seems to have worked pretty well. I set it back a few inches from the factory spots, and since I used an aftermarket seat, I was still able to use the rear mounting holes: one for the seat latch, and the other two for the seatbelt anchors.
Somehow, I messed up my drilling. One of my forward holes is almost a half an inch back from the others. I measured it three times, so my best guess is that I nudged the seat when I climbed in to drill. Since it is actually two separate seats, it didn't have any impact on the final set up, so I dodged a bullet there.
It looks real good, but I still have a hard time believing that after all these years, I've just turned my CJ into a family car. Responsibility hurts. :p

scrambler81

Basic User
City
Hammonton
State
NJ
This thread is usel....:D

Yeah, yeah, yeah.....whatever.
0101-1.jpg

011-1.jpg

0092-1.jpg

012-1.jpg