• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

BigRed's Scrambler build

B

bigred1969

I have been working on the 83 for off and on for about 1 1/2 years now. Finally going to put it in a thread. Started with and 83, 6 cyl., auto, the tranny was slipping and engine was missing when I brought it home. It came from central Indiana and has the normal body rust damage, the frame is solid, bed floor is solid. It will need side panels and rear 1/4s, and of course windshield frame. Missing a top and bulkhead.
IMG_2156-1.jpg

015-1.jpg

B

bigred1969

First project was to replace missing drivers' side window and replaced the door handles. While I had them laid out, I sanded the doors down and primed them. Also bought a 1/2 top and bulkhead.
043-1.jpg

The 6 cyl/999 both needed to be rebuilt, I found a deal on a 40,000 mile 360/727 from an 82 waggy. So I started to tear it down. I have built several Jeeps through the years but never did a drivetrain swap, so this is going to be learn as you go.
0192-1.jpg

0341-1.jpg

B

bigred1969

While I have to motor out of the way, going to start on the front section of the frame. It had been undercoated and 26 years of grease and oil all over it. I cleaned it all, sanded it down to bare metal. Then used Eastwood rust converter, rust encapsulator and undercarriage top coat. I brushed on the converter and encapsulator, then sprayed the top coat. I am very happy with the results, it turned out very good, the paint is so smooth it looks like a powder coat. Which says alot since I have never been a very good painter, but working on getting better. Just waiting to see how it will hold up once it gets in the weather.
009-1.jpg

results on front of frame
0522-1.jpg

0012-1.jpg

B

bigred1969

Since front suspension was off, I decided to put the new YJ Superlift 4" suspension. I decided to go with the YJ to help get as smooth a ride as possible, and the superlift was also a very good price. In the front I went with the Rubicon Express shackles to adapt the wider front springs to the CJ frame. After getting the susupension done, I couldn't wait to try on the wheels and tires. Tires are Cooper STT, 285/75x16. I had them on my last wrangler for a just couple thousand miles before I sold it. I really liked them for an all around off road tire so I held on to them for the CJ. The 285 (33x11.5) on and 8" wheel is the same width as the factory flares, just what I was wanting.
0013-1.jpg

0102-1.jpg

0022-1.jpg

My 3 year old Keegan posing
0172-1.jpg

016-1.jpg

Last edited:

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Great progress! Keep it coming!

BOBCAT

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Louisville
State
Ky
LOOKIN GOOD KENT. :cheers:

Are you going to have it up and running for the Nationals at Golden Mountain?

Don

B

bigred1969

Thanks. I have more done than I have in the pics, still more to post.
I am still trying to have it running and reliable by then. But I am going if it is ready or not. I may have to hitch a ride on the trails down there.

BOBCAT

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Louisville
State
Ky
Kent,

You can ride with me if yours isn't ready.

Don

CHIEFWAHO

SOA VP
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
SOA Board Member
City
Thayer
State
KS
I am still trying to have it running and reliable by then. But I am going if it is ready or not. I may have to hitch a ride on the trails down there.

Kent, Looking forward to meeting with or without your Scrambler at the National!

Did you ever get your rear cross member on?

B

bigred1969

Unfortunately its still in the bed with the new body mounts. It does look great though, very pleased with it.
As you can see by the progress I have made, I skip around alot. I will have a bolt get stuck or be missing a piece I need and I will move on to running a gas line or cleaning a part. Maybe not go back to the other job for a week or two. It's not organized at all, JSCHERB always amazes me with his planning and sticking to the plan. I build on the chaos method.:D

B

bigred1969

A couple of pics of the D300 before and after cleaning and painting. I did snap the knob off on the shifter. May go twin stick.
007-1.jpg

0052-1.jpg

Last edited:
B

bigred1969

A little hang up, bought new power steering hoses at autozone. All went together well, then noticed leak at steering unit, leaking out the top of the compression nut. Retightened it, still leaking, loosened it and retightened, still leaking. Went back to AZone and they said it was the right hose. Finally I dug out the old one from the storage building, I need the O ring style, had the wrong hose. I ordered it from 4wd hardware, holding me up for a few more days.
Another bad purchase I made when I first bought the 8 almost 2 years ago, coming back to bite me now. A passenger side floor pan from Ebay. I had never test fitted it until now, getting ready to cut the old one out. It is not even close, maybe if I cut it in half and use the halves separately, I may be able to use some of it. Very bad piece. I ordered a new floor pan this week also. There is enough work and money involved in building a rig without buying everything twice and doing twice the work trying to get subpar parts to work.:banghead:

Tip of the Day: Spend a little time researching the right parts and spend a little extra money to get quality parts from reputable sellers, it will make you much happier in the long run:thumbsup:

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Sorry to hear about the issues with the parts :banghead:

Any chance you'll have this for the National Scramble in TN in June? Even if you don't have it up and running, you ought to come check out the event, I have a spare seat if you need it! :thumbsup:

Keep up the good work :popcorn:

Maz.

Legacy Registered User
City
Australia
State
AU
how do the rubicon express 2.5" conversion shackles work with the superlift springs?

B

bigred1969

They work great, bolt right up. You have to change the spring plates and widen the rear hangers a little for the wider springs. I haven't been able to drive it yet, so I can't tell you how the new spring ride and handle, but I will post up after first trip out.

B

bigred1969

Thanks BigWalton, I am still planning on making Nationals. If the Jeep is ready or not. I can't think of a better motivator than being out with all the 8's.
I am really looking forward to getting down there, one of my favorite areas. Only 3 hours from me, I gotta take advantage of it being so close this year.

BOBCAT

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Louisville
State
Ky
Thanks BigWalton, I am still planning on making Nationals. If the Jeep is ready or not. I can't think of a better motivator than being out with all the 8's.
I am really looking forward to getting down there, one of my favorite areas. Only 3 hours from me, I gotta take advantage of it being so close this year.

Kent, if you don't have yours ready for the Nationals you can ride with me I have an open seat.

Don

B

bigred1969

Thanks Don, I will take you up on that. I will be in contact with you as Nats get closer.