• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Expedition Scrambler..?

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
Ok,
First confession is I have no idea where this thread should go...Mods? Anyone?? Bueler???
I was wondering if anyone had ever built a CJ8 into sort of an expedition style vehicle? The big question would be something along the lines of a roof top tent?? While I can see the less-endowed jeeps (5s and 7s) needing a tag behind...Doesn't it seem possible to develop an 8 into a very exploration friendly rig with the extra room we get??

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
You can have the first post in a new forum, outdoor activities. Seemed sensible to have a forum on here for discussing how we use our -8s to get out into the great outdoors.

RTTs are cool on solid-roofed SUVs, but the ability to go topless and a RTT don't jive for me. Since most of our camping is on wheeling trips, I also wouldn't want to be putting the tent down every morning to go ride.

To me, the only time a RTT is practical is when you're truly on an expedition style trip where there's no basecamp and you're moving every day. That's why I want to be able to drop the trailer, pop the tent and go. :D

Interested to see what folks post up, sure there's some folks here with cool expedition setups.

Panther

Scrambler Nut
City
Methuen
State
MA
Scrambler Camper

jeepdreamer, I've looking into it and discovered a company that makes custom campers and has done several Scramblers!

Unfortunately, they never took any pictures but their site is http://www.phoenixcampers.com/ aka Coyote RV

Here's some info from an email discussion:

We build the Scrambler camper as a finished body - slide in design, utilizing the Jeep "cab top." This way you can lift the camper off easily, any time you want, and use the Scrambler as the great little truck that is made to be.

I am working on your custom build quote, which raises a couple of questions:

1.Would you like it build nice and tight to fit right to the tail lights. Or, would you like it more roomy, by extending the camper length to the end of the tailgate?

2. On your first request list, you clicked on "interior shower and restroom.... The way we do this in a camper this size is to have a waterproof shower pan right in the middle of the main walkway, then a pull around curtain for when you are ready to shower. The pull around curtain also works as a "privacy curtain" so you can use a porta potty for a restroom as well. Will this work for you ok?

Well, I look forward to your answer to these questions, so we can get to work or your SCRAMBLER CAMPER!!

The attached pic is of a 4 dr XJ, very cool

Bugman

The Rubicon, my backyard
City
Pollock Pines
State
CA
I have a Postal top and recently I got a Con Ferr roof rack just for the expedition build up. I won't go RTT(roof top tent) with the Scrambler though as I don't trust being so far up in the air when nature calls, especially after a few adult cocktails. I decided to make the rack and RTT setup for the trailer. It's easy to take off and I can still use it to go wheeling. The Scrambler will absolutely make a great expedition vehicle with all the extra room but don't give up the trailer. Eric, I like the idea of the new forum!

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
jeepdreamer, I've looking into it and discovered a company that makes custom campers and has done several Scramblers!

Unfortunately, they never took any pictures but their site is http://www.phoenixcampers.com/ aka Coyote RV

How the heck did this never come up on here before (to my knowledge)????!?!?!?!?!??!??! :confused: TOO COOL!!!

:popcorn: Can't wait to see this quote! How have they never taken a picture???? :banghead:

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I have a Postal top and recently I got a Con Ferr roof rack just for the expedition build up. I won't go RTT(roof top tent) with the Scrambler though as I don't trust being so far up in the air when nature calls, especially after a few adult cocktails. I decided to make the rack and RTT setup for the trailer. It's easy to take off and I can still use it to go wheeling. The Scrambler will absolutely make a great expedition vehicle with all the extra room but don't give up the trailer. Eric, I like the idea of the new forum!
This sounds great, we need pics :D

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
First things first...

This is an odd feeling...I've never been first anywhere!?! Thank you BW :bow:
Panther, I have seen that as well and IIRC, don't they make them in Denver somewhere? I tried looking it up but had some trouble. And while I truly appreciate a company attempting to make something like this work...I think the design needs a little tweeking? Just MHO. I also don't know how excited I would be to run one in an XJ or Grand Cherk given their Unibody design? Suppose if it got tied in VERY well...like a cage...then maybe.?. I would like to see pics of it in or on a Scrambler as well!
I spend a good deal of time wandering around the Expedition Portal site. Anyone that enjoys exploring should treat themselves to a visit there reguardless of vehicle preferences. There is a wealth of info and cool stuff to find. Here is perhaps what began my wonder of a Scrambler Expo rig...

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20822&highlight=Hard+side+camper

And while not a Jeep..the overall result, attention to detail, and well thought out planning make this one of the coolest Expo-rigs I have ever seen. Now if I can only stumble across a nice, user friendly diesel... ;)
So here I end for the time being. Check beck from time to time and see where my little project is heading...:thumbsup:

RJCJ-8

SOA Member
Lifetime Member
City
Rome
State
GA
The expo site is pretty cool, I hang out there as well. I like RTTs, have an autohome Overland but have it setup on a trailer. I think it is the best option. I like to be able to go out and about with out having to pack up the home every time i move. As for using the scrambler as an expo rig it works pretty good. There are a few scrambler owners over on the expo forum. You should be able to find some pics of them in the photo thread under the jeep section. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11148

trust

PITA
City
White Rock
State
NM
Most of my wheeling is quasi expedition, I tend do go for 4 or 5 days or more, camp in a different place each night. That is one of the reasons I went from my CJ5 to a Comanche and ultimately to my scrambler. The way it is set up now it works very well for the type of wheeling I do. NO RTT or trailer, doesn't seem necessary for me in the areas I visit, plus I like simple, old time tent camping, albeit with a better tent. To no body's surprise, the main things you need in my opinion is 1) safe way to carry gas and to get it into the jeep easily. 2) weatherproof, varmit proof way to secure your food, 3) a good sleeping pad, 4) someone in your group ought to have eithe ra ham radio or a sat phone but the absolute most important thing is to wheel with very good friends that you can absolutely trust and whose company you enjoy completely.

my $0.02,

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
That's a fact Jack!

Sorry, Bill Murry reference...;)
Trust, Good points all. And being "Army" for 13+ years and an Eagle scout too boot I can appreciate the less modern camping as well. Yet the older I get the more I seem to appreciate some of the more comfortable options available...:thumbsup:
I wanted to mention something else about Panthers offering for the "slide in" camper...I think that is a cool idea that is something along these lines...?
*see attachments if I can get them to load*
Yea...I think I did it...Check 'em out and imagine something like this on a scrambler??
Gotta run...buisness is picking up here today..:(
I'll write more when I can...thanks all!

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
I wanna be "shell-fish?"

Panther...
Thats the Same company?? I thought that was an old brochure from some stealership...? Lol! And from the interior I was gonna guess the early 70s! Ha! ShagAdelic baby...
So these are the same folks making this huh..Hmm. Now what I would really like to see would be a Shell. Nothing but the outer camper stuff including the pop up tent thingy...I am a fairly decent carpenter and would prefer to buy the unit as cheap as possible and then do my own take on the inside...I wonder if they would be down with that...?:crazy:

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
nightmares...

And just to add to this...
I came across what I hope this does NOT turn out to look like!?!?!:eek::rotfl:

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
attachment.php

That's AWESOME!!! Where'd you find that? With the brown bits painted UM blue, that thing would be the ultimate Michigan tailgate wagon!

I seriously love this thing. It's just my kind of ugly! I'd kill to see pictures of the inside!!!! :drool:

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
Close the closet door...!

Ok, I have to admit that I am a closet fan of FCs. They are one of the ugliest of all things vehicular. I can only think of a small number of uglier examples. But being by nature a Jeep I think that leaves room for exception. An excuse to be ugly, if you will...? But somewhere within their ugliness a true beauty shines through. And with FCs, beauty truly IS in the eye of the beer holder! Take this example for one...Most would gasp and schriek as they clutched their children as if the zombie hordes were invading. Me? I like it. Kinda like Mad Max's bigger brother.!.

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
The unsung Hero...

And since these have been around but most have never seen them really workin' it...I offer thses too....