Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My "new" dream Scrambler

City/State
    south central, AK

My "new" dream Scrambler

I hope this forum doesn't frown too much on TDK/Aqualu builds. I gave up on trying to find a Scrambler that was worth buying, and quite frankly, after having dealt with two other CJ-7s, I promised myself I'd never buy another rusty CJ. So when the frame finally gave up the ghost, this project emerged. My build thread is here:

http://www.alaska4x4network.com/show...194#post506194

City/State
    Dexter, MI
    Scrambler Year
    84 Alaskan Postal
    Year Purchased
    Excellent. No problem with a build like this on here at all... most of us at the thought of being able to build one from the ground up like this.

I miss Anchorage, go have a fish taco at Humpy's for me.

'84 Alaskan Postal CJ-8: Right-hand drive, World Cab, 35s, outboarded BDS 5" CJ-to-YJ lift with add-a-leafs, XD9000i, PSC armor, Waggy 44/HD20, 4.0/AW4, KC HiLites reverse LED kit, Runck bumpers
    '05 Rubicon LJ: Magnum Powers Supercharger, MCE Fenders, JCR sliders, BDS belly-up skidplate, Borla headers & exhaust, , chromoly axleshafts, OR-FAB bumpers, WARN Zeon, JKS JSPEC 3" lift & ACOS Pro front spacers/bumps, 315/75 Duratracs, GR8TOPS Exogate and Safari Cab top, Kleinn OBA, PIAA RF3 cube lights, Inspired Engineering LED headlights, 6-speed, CB, GR8TOPS Safari Cab
    '77 Cherokee S 4-door "Mater": Aero Tank aux gas tank, part time kit in tcase, Warn lockouts, 360 with goodies, saggy springs, loads of patina
    '08 JK Unlimited: Stock, auto, heated seat
    '99 Ford E350 "the bus": Redneck camper/tow rig conversion

All of the pics from the trip | Rockcrawler.com story of bringing the postal home from AK to NC

City/State
    Redmond, OR
    Scrambler Year
    82 base, 81 SR
    Year Purchased
    Nice! I would have happily traded my factory tub for an aluminum tub...

Looks like you started your build a month before mine! I don't feel so bad anymore about how long mine's taking.

Randy S.
    "It's not what you buy, it's what you build"
    82 Scrambler "Copper" 5.3 Vortec/4L60E/241OR/D44&HD20/4.56 locked
    Build Thread-http://www.cj-8.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19032
    87 J20 "Blue"...Current Build
    81 Scrambler "Red"...Waiting Patiently
    73 VW Bus- for sale
    www.oldsoulsretros.com

City/State
    Berlin, ct
    Scrambler Year
    1984 CJ8 / 1980 CJ5
    Year Purchased
    In Alaska that must be the only way to build a good Jeep. The project looks amazing.

City/State
    south central, AK
    Quote Originally Posted by Kane View Post
    In Alaska that must be the only way to build a good Jeep. The project looks amazing.
    We actually don't use salt on the roads. There's a little salt mixed in with the sand just to keep the piles of sand from turning into ice-blocks, but for the most part, we just let a layer of packed ice mixed with sand accumulate on the roads. It does get cold enough for saltwater to freeze, so salt isn't all that effective. That being said, almost everyone switches to studded tires in the winter. Alaska also has lots of coastline, but few communities are exposed to the open ocean. Here in Anchorage there is saltwater just a few yards from my office, but it's not blowing into our parking lot.

This doesn't exactly make us rust-free Arizona, but I'd take an older Alaskan project anyday over something from New England.

City/State
    Dexter, MI
    Scrambler Year
    84 Alaskan Postal
    Year Purchased
    This can be seen in the relatively decent condition of the Alaskan Postals, especially the frame. They added an undercoating to them alogn with the other goodies and the frames tend to be awesome. The only real issues I've seen regularly being the wheelwell/tub connection and the right hand/driver floor. I was psyched beyond words when I saw the frame on mine in person the first time

'84 Alaskan Postal CJ-8: Right-hand drive, World Cab, 35s, outboarded BDS 5" CJ-to-YJ lift with add-a-leafs, XD9000i, PSC armor, Waggy 44/HD20, 4.0/AW4, KC HiLites reverse LED kit, Runck bumpers
    '05 Rubicon LJ: Magnum Powers Supercharger, MCE Fenders, JCR sliders, BDS belly-up skidplate, Borla headers & exhaust, , chromoly axleshafts, OR-FAB bumpers, WARN Zeon, JKS JSPEC 3" lift & ACOS Pro front spacers/bumps, 315/75 Duratracs, GR8TOPS Exogate and Safari Cab top, Kleinn OBA, PIAA RF3 cube lights, Inspired Engineering LED headlights, 6-speed, CB, GR8TOPS Safari Cab
    '77 Cherokee S 4-door "Mater": Aero Tank aux gas tank, part time kit in tcase, Warn lockouts, 360 with goodies, saggy springs, loads of patina
    '08 JK Unlimited: Stock, auto, heated seat
    '99 Ford E350 "the bus": Redneck camper/tow rig conversion

All of the pics from the trip | Rockcrawler.com story of bringing the postal home from AK to NC

City/State
    south central, AK
    LOST just pointed out in another thread that my local board is closed to registrations, and when I log out of it, I can't even see the build thread. SO to save everyone from having to register there, I'll start double-posting the pics. What sucks for now is that I have to get this thread caught up on two years of the project. Thankfully, not much happened in two years. I think I can just cut-and-paste all the text.

It started with the dash, around November of '07:
    Last edited by AK-RWC; 03-29-2011 at 05:14 PM.
    My Aqualu/TDK/401 CJ-8 build thread
    My wife's postal pseudo-restoration thread
    ". . . [A]bout the show trucks[:] Kinda like being married to a supermodel with a chastity belt. . . great to look at but cant do a damn thing with em." - CJ ATE
    "Slap an AMC badge on it and you're good to go." - walkerhoundvm

City/State
    south central, AK

Last edited by AK-RWC; 03-29-2011 at 05:16 PM.
    ". . . [A]bout the show trucks[:] Kinda like being married to a supermodel with a chastity belt. . . great to look at but cant do a damn thing with em." - CJ ATE

City/State
    south central, AK

Last edited by AK-RWC; 03-29-2011 at 05:17 PM.

City/State
    south central, AK
    Originally posted 12/7/07:

Shock-towers

Tailgate

Windshield frame with new seal and cowl seal

Frame should be here early next week.

I don't know what the weight savings is, but this thing is definitely lighter than a YJ tub.
    Last edited by AK-RWC; 03-29-2011 at 05:18 PM.

City/State
    south central, AK
    Originally posted 12/21/07:

I love the look of zinc in the winter.
    Last edited by AK-RWC; 03-29-2011 at 05:20 PM.

City/State
    south central, AK

Last edited by AK-RWC; 03-29-2011 at 05:21 PM.

City/State
    south central, AK
    Originally posted 12/22/07:

It was hot-dip galvanized in Spokane after being assembled in Montana. Little Giant and I will be prepping it at 5-Star tonight, and painting it with POR-15 tomorrow.

In the meantime, pics from unloading earlier today:

Last edited by AK-RWC; 03-29-2011 at 05:21 PM.

City/State
    south central, AK
    I'm literally cutting and pasting from my original thread on the Alaska4x4Network, and I'm only bringing over my posts with photos. Many of the comments won't make sense without the context of the other posts, which I'm not bothering to import.
    Originally posted 12/26/07:

The makings of my dream (and probably LG's nightmare since it's in his garage).
    Last edited by AK-RWC; 03-29-2011 at 05:22 PM.

City/State
    south central, AK
    Kurt is a buddy of mine who at the time owned a 4x4 shop with an aftermarket parts subsidiary.
    Originally posted 4/10/08:

Kurt-a Clause brought presents today!!!

Unfortunately, the presents didn't include spring bushings, and only included bushings for one shackle.

Last edited by AK-RWC; 03-29-2011 at 05:22 PM.