• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Scrambler on a budget

ExhaustDemon

Legacy Registered User
City
newton
State
nj
Well finally got my CJ and i have been fixin it up over the last month or so. mostly gettin it to go,stop, turn and repair the gremlins.

this is just when i got it
P6240123-1.jpg

P6240124-1.jpg

P6240125-1.jpg

P6250134-1.jpg

P6250131-1.jpg

P6250132-1.jpg

srappy 2 piece axles
82cj8001-1.jpg

solid frame
82cj8003-1.jpg

82cj8004-1.jpg

solid bed
82cj8006-1.jpg

its a long time finding this one, not to much rot and from colorado

Last edited:

Sheepdog

Legacy Registered User
City
Parachute
State
CO
You will never rid yourself of the evil little gremlins, they come standard with a jeep. Just accept the fact that they are along for the ride. Befriend them and they might be so mean to you. :rotfl:

Good luck with your build.

ExhaustDemon

Legacy Registered User
City
newton
State
nj
the jeep had been sitting outside for 2-3 years in Pennsylvania but it was the bed liner and good drainage that saved it. i scraped off very old window tint (NOT FUN) and started on the bed liner with the help of my daughter.
82cj8009-1.jpg

82cj8010-1.jpg

front brakes and rotors needed replacement and there was a sheared bolt in the hub. the rears were fine.
pass side was no problem new rotor and pads, and also drilled a drain hole for the upper shock mount.
cj82a004-1.jpg

put the hub and rotor on bench drilled out the bolt, best this ever went. put in the E-Z out
and holy crap it came out PERFECT
cleaned all threads with thread chaser, put on the rotor, pads.
threw out all the crap bolts and kept the grade 8 ones and added my own.

cj82a002-1.jpg

cj82a003-1.jpg

MURPHY and i were putting the hub on and spinning on the bolts with a 3/8 hand socket and a grade 8 bolt snaps off in the hub the whole enchilada (not the 1 i replaced)
now im thinking this hub is cursed. next day i got lucky again sent Murf home.

next was put in a yj power brake setup. now it stops 10 times better, no cj should be without this mod
cj82b003-1.jpg

these links were helpful
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/power-steering-power-brake-upgrade-1018298/

http://www.desertcj7.com/yj_brake_booster_upgrade.htm

NOTE: if you have a line flaring tool like i do all you need is the weatherhead fittings, not the adapters. that way you gain more room for the carb linkage.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Great stuff, looks like an awesome starting point. :thumbsup:

ExhaustDemon

Legacy Registered User
City
newton
State
nj
thanks: yea im excited. the mech work is no problem, i just want to preserve the body till i have more funding and im not sure how to approach it.

well here are the 1" lift boomerangs. i had to run all over town to get the hardware for them.
cj82c002-1.jpg

since this is on a budget i'll be fixin what i can for cheap LOL
while the paint was drying i fixed my headlight surround.
cj82c003-1.jpg

cj82c005-1.jpg

boomers are on with new bushings
cj82c008-1.jpg

cj82c007-1.jpg

cj82c006-1.jpg

ExhaustDemon

Legacy Registered User
City
newton
State
nj
my LR was sagging pretty bad so i tried a swap from left to right. i also wanted to install the rest of my bushings (spring eye). i knew i was in for it because i tried a long time on removing the LR bolt last week to no avail.

after an hour or so i figured the only way was to get the saws-all out, i had to cut both sides, it was a blast went through 2 bits.
cj82c0121-1.jpg

next was swap springs all went ok with a little heat and my tap and die set for the u-bolts.
then i welded the tubes just like 4 Wheeler mag suggested, 4 small welds instead of a complete weld so it can flex some
the good news is the RR came out very easy and IT DOES'NT SAG :drool: \

cj82c013-1.jpg

the wheels were all rusty from sitting so my son pitched in and painted them hammered black. i think they look great!
cj82c011-1.jpg

cj82c015-1.jpg

ExhaustDemon

Legacy Registered User
City
newton
State
nj
finally got some parts in yesterday and today. 1 piece axles from superior and daystar 1 inch body lift

axles were piece of cake as was the body lift. 2 hours for both.

cj82e007-1.jpg

cj82e008-1.jpg

cj82e009-1.jpg

now the air cleaner hits the brake master cylinder and the fan hits the fan shroud
i removed the clutch fan; it was locked up anyway never spun freely. and used a rubber plumbing fitting to temporary raise the air filter 1.5 inches. i found an old carb fitting to raise up the threads.

cj82e014-1.jpg

cj82e013-1.jpg

i found electric fans from a mercury cougar i'll put on this week and the sway bar needs a longer links.
cj82e015-1.jpg

this is after and it rides great and NO more sag

ExhaustDemon

Legacy Registered User
City
newton
State
nj
thanks
500 - 600 so far. im getting the cooling fans for 50 and i'll need wiper motor another 50 and the last 2 other things are autolight carb and metal/alum valve cover. i sure ill need a few more things :D its a jeep

just got the links on tonight got em for free (thanks chuck) :bow:

then the body work this winter :eek::eek:

ExhaustDemon

Legacy Registered User
City
newton
State
nj
well i got some free yj links for a 4" lift today. painted then installed. i had these brand new 20+ year old KYB upper shock mounts that perfectly replaced the CJ hat pins. just goes to show that you never throw anything with potential; even if it takes 20 years to use it :rofl:
cj82f004-1.jpg

next was the electric contour fan set. i read a lot of posts about it and i cant believe how easy it was. the fit was perfect.
before mod

cj82e0141-1.jpg

i used bungees to hold in place to make sure i didnt screw it up. would have been nice to have extra set of hands on this mod.

cj82f003-1.jpg

now i have to figure how to control them. i wonder how much power i freed up by removing both air pump & locked up clutch fan?

cj82f005-1.jpg

my e-brake mount was flopping around so i welded it back on. i put old license plates all around it blocking sparks so as not to flame test my jeep.
it was a little nerve racking for a few minutes

cj82f006-1.jpg

ExhaustDemon

Legacy Registered User
City
newton
State
nj
its getting cold in nj; so time to fix the top. its in ok shape, i should have it finished in time for charlies event. the PO loved to silicone everywhere. so i was scraping a lot. i enlisted some help as well. i forgot nitrostan smells awesome :drool:

cj82g005-1.jpg

cj82g004-1.jpg

cj82g006-1.jpg

cj82g007-1.jpg

cj82g012-1.jpg

the brains of the operation :D
cj82g009-1.jpg

she's a good sander :popcorn:
cj82g011-1.jpg

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Excellent :thumbsup:

Do you know what happened in that spot you filled? Odd damage.

Bushmaster6

Legacy Registered User
City
the Springs
State
CO
I find your pace and success disturbing.. you should slow down and turn this project into a 5 year hangar queen like mine.

Seriously.. very cool to see your progress already, and to see your kiddo working with you.. my little man is too young to participate, even though he wants to (19 months), but I'm looking forward to a day when he can... cool 8!!

ExhaustDemon

Legacy Registered User
City
newton
State
nj
:D:D its going fast due to child labor. she works and i get to drink Guinness :cheers:
but tks
i love driving it, and i want to drive it off road ASAP, so it has to be right. i dont want to break down in the boonies.

lugnut

Basic User
City
snow camp
State
nc
Looking good I always like to see the budget builds because thats what mine always are.

ExhaustDemon

Legacy Registered User
City
newton
State
nj
primed top then wet sanded with 220. reprimed after this photo and looks ok for a old top

cj82g013-1.jpg

cj82g014-1.jpg

i went to lowes and picked up some gasket material. both cost less than 8 bucks. i'll comment later how well they seal.

cj82g015-1.jpg

cj82g018-1.jpg

cj82g017-1.jpg

ordered some stainless pop rivets to fix the mount

cj82g016-1.jpg

Craner8

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Orlando
State
FL
Looks great--keep at it. If you are using a yj brake booster do the lines enter on the passenger side?

ExhaustDemon

Legacy Registered User
City
newton
State
nj
yes that was my first mod and i highly recommend it.

yes they are on pass side, but there is plenty of extra line.

the air cleaner was the problem. it was very close and when i did the body lift i had to raise it.