• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

New guy with and interesting find (Overlander Build)

Buffy

Legacy Registered User
City
Burlington
State
NC
I've always loved the Scrambler with its classic lines and looks and have always wanted one but priorities always seem to get in the way. Well, this past weekend I stumbled across a project that had been sitting in a mechanics shop for over 10 years. At first I didn't pay much attention to it as it was in the back of the shop covered with dust and thought it to be a Land Rover and was busy turning wrenches. At the end of the day the gentleman asked if I wanted a new project and began telling me about it. I do not remember the year model but it is a CJ-8 with the World Cab top and left had drive. He says it is all original and as stated earlier been sitting there for over 10 years.

The actual owner passed away 6 months ago and the widow just wants to sell. The couple used to travel to South Africa for photography and he was outfitting this CJ-8 to take it there. He had planned on converting it to right-hand drive but never got around to it. There is even a trailer there that was built that is basically a rolling gas tank, very cool!

I've done some searching and read about the 230 postal units built for Alaska. I then read an article about the World Cab and how it was used overseas but never really here in the lower 48. So, the more I read to more I wondered what I had found and secondly is it worth the asking price.

The truck is flesh colored, got that description here. It has zero rust and the original paint still has a glossy finish. The frame looks factory fresh. The interior has been removed but is stored there and is in perfect shape. It has the rear seats jumper that run the length of the back compartment and are in perfect shape. It still has the Jeep hubcaps on it and what looks like the original spare tire which is also in good shape. The original motor and tranny have been removed, but a replacement motor and tranny comes with the purchase. There is a brand new Cummins 4BLT turbo diesel calibrated for street use, Richmond 5 speed and NV300 transfer case already assembled and ready to install. There are tons of other parts for the asking price of 7500.00. It seems like a good deal so I committed to purchase it.

So what do the experts think?? What have I found?? Is it worth the asking price?? I am working on getting pictures and will post them here when I get them.

Thanks in advance for your expertise!

Last edited by a moderator:

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
I'm confused - is it left hand drive or right hand drive currently? Sounds like a either a postal with left hand drive or a standard CJ8 with a world cab top.

I think you probably got a good deal, but I think what we typically see these go for in Alaska is closer to $2-3K.

Pics or it didn't happen, though.

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
Sounds VERY interesting! Sounds like a South American spec Overlander. Pics would do a lot to help identify. Did you get the trailer in the deal too?

Buffy

Legacy Registered User
City
Burlington
State
NC
My apologies... It is left-hand drive. The plan was to ship it to South Africa. I did not get the trailer but I haven't asked for it either. :rotfl: It is all just sitting there collecting dust. There is also a Suzuki Sameri there that was decked out for safari pictures and had camera mounts all over it. The zuk had been to SA.

onesourcemike

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Wilmington
State
NC
Pics would be helpful, looks like you are located in NC. Sounds like a nice find but who knows what you really found without seeing pics.

Robert Slone

Legacy Registered User
City
Spring Hope
State
NC
Flesh colored, left hand drive, no rust... maybe from Austrailia, Venezula, pretty sure it's from overseas.

Buffy

Legacy Registered User
City
Burlington
State
NC
It is not available for parting out. I hope to get some pictures over the next few days. I wished I had paid closer attention to it when I was there. I even had my camera handy but didn't think to snap any pictures. :banghead:

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Tell me you bought this already and are just playing with us until you can post pictures.

Go back now, do not pass go, do not collect $200, do not stop at the grocery store, do not hit the drive through and BUY THAT THING!!!!!

I want pictures so badly I can't stand it... with the troop seats it sounds like an Overlander van body. Did it have windows in the side of the hard top?

Definitely an import or he got an import and scavenged off a lot of stuff from it.

Ask for everything connected to it, the trailer, the engine, anything.... WOW :drool:

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I'm confused - is it left hand drive or right hand drive currently? Sounds like a either a postal with left hand drive or a standard CJ8 with a world cab top.

I think you probably got a good deal, but I think what we typically see these go for in Alaska is closer to $2-3K.

Pics or it didn't happen, though.
With a brand new 4BT, glossy paint, no rust and a "factory fresh frame"?

This could be the steal of the century...

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
Yeah, that was a little tongue-in-cheek. I was still trying to figure out what it was, but if it was just a postal - you have to admit they don't go for very much up there!

Definitely barn find of the century, if this all shakes out. Sadly all we'll get to do is :drool: over it like you pointed out, though.

ilovetrains

slightly backward
City
Lee's Summit
State
MO
that is what I was thinking. The drivetrain would be worth the cost all by themselves.

I always dream of finds like that, but never seem to actually find them.

Buffy

Legacy Registered User
City
Burlington
State
NC
Here is the response from some questions I posted to the current owner:

HEY GREG,

MY FRIEND WAS THE SECOND OWNER AND PURCHASED IT , THE TOP WAS ON IT AND HAS NEVER BEEN REMOVED , THAT INFO IS PROB CORRECT BECAUSE WHEN DOUG FOUND IT ,IT WAS GOING TO BE SHIPPED OUT OF THE COUNTRY , BECUASE OF THE EMMISSIONS CONTROLS AT THE TIME IT COULDNT BE REGESTIRED IN FLA , BUT THEN THEY DROPPED THE INSP, AND HE BOUGHT IT , IT HAS I BELIEVE NOW ABOTU 60.000 SHOWING ON THE ODOMETER , IT IS AN 86 MODEL,IT ACTUALLY HAD NEVER BEEN REGESTERED AND WAS /IS SHOWN ON DOUGS TITLE AS NEW ,, I WILL START THE PROCEDEINING TO GET THE TITLE CHANGED INTO MY NAME FOR A GA TTITLE SO THAT IT WILL BE EASIER TO CHANGE INTO YOUR NAME.

Orionn

Vehicular Packrat
City
Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti
State
Mi
One word: DEAL!

Your VERY lucky, and its worth the money you committed to.

Buy the trailer as well, and get every piece that was on it/for it.

Cant wait for you to get some pictures posted.

revho

$9.00 vanilla malt
Lifetime Member
City
beaverdam
State
MI
Here is the response from some questions I posted to the current owner:

HEY GREG,

MY FRIEND WAS THE SECOND OWNER AND PURCHASED IT , THE TOP WAS ON IT AND HAS NEVER BEEN REMOVED , THAT INFO IS PROB CORRECT BECAUSE WHEN DOUG FOUND IT ,IT WAS GOING TO BE SHIPPED OUT OF THE COUNTRY , BECUASE OF THE EMMISSIONS CONTROLS AT THE TIME IT COULDNT BE REGESTIRED IN FLA , BUT THEN THEY DROPPED THE INSP, AND HE BOUGHT IT , IT HAS I BELIEVE NOW ABOTU 60.000 SHOWING ON THE ODOMETER , IT IS AN 86 MODEL,IT ACTUALLY HAD NEVER BEEN REGESTERED AND WAS /IS SHOWN ON DOUGS TITLE AS NEW ,, I WILL START THE PROCEDEINING TO GET THE TITLE CHANGED INTO MY NAME FOR A GA TTITLE SO THAT IT WILL BE EASIER TO CHANGE INTO YOUR NAME.

very interesting.....

hefavitzen

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Rock Hill
State
SC
If for some unthinkable reason you decide to NOT buy this, please let me know. I am pretty close by in Rock Hill, SC and am having to change shirts as I just drooled all over the front of it.

I think I could talk my wife into somethng that sweet.

Please post some pictures and Congrats!

Buffy

Legacy Registered User
City
Burlington
State
NC
I meant to answer an earlier question. It has the windows in the back. They were going to modify the top to make the back windows fold down so they could shoot out the side windows and then close them back. Fortunately it was never done. I keep hoping I will get pictures soon. :shrug: