• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

33X12.5x15 on 7" rims

Brent

Legacy Registered User
City
Canyon Lake
State
TX
Hey guys,
Got a technical question that i need some help with. I currently have the stock wagon wheels 7x15" on my scrambler with 30x9.5 tires. I've recently added a 4" lift and would now like to change to a bigger tire. I found a new set of tires that are33x12.5x15.

My question is: will these tires fit on my 7" rims and will it affect the drive/horsepower/gas mileage etc:fingerscrossed:?

thanks in advance!

Rock-N-Roll

Legacy Registered User
City
Colorado Rockies
State
CO
I checked Bridgestone, B.F. Goodrich and Goodyear in the 33x12.50x15 size. All 3 manufacturers recommend wheel width of 8.5 - 11". Find out what tire you want and check the manufacturer's specifications.

Going from a 30" to 33" tire will affect mileage and horsepower. The bigger tire will have more rolling resistance and wind resistance. Your lift will affect these as well. Going to a different size tire is like changing gears - you will notice a difference. Just how much depends on your current axle ratio. Google "tire size calculator" to find out just how much of a difference there will be.

This is just all of the fun involved in the modification process.

CBRogers

Perpetual Parts Collector
Lifetime Member
City
Yorktown
State
Va
If you really want to keep those 7" wide rims then go with a 33x10.50x15 BFG makes a pretty good set either in MT or AT.

If you are going wider than 10.50 really look into a 8 or 10" wheel. You can get a set of Black Steel Rock-Crawler style wheels pretty cheep.

And yes it will affect MPG usually making it worse.

Carl

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
I'm running 33x12.50 BFG AT's on Factory 15x7 rims. I haven't had any issues but I did need to air down a bit more so the tires wear evenly across the tread. with a 12.50 tire an 8" rim is great especially for offroad. The narrower rim holds the tire on the wheel better and you have less of a chance of breaking a bead off. On road an 8 - 10" rim is ideal.

Brent

Legacy Registered User
City
Canyon Lake
State
TX
thanks

Thanks all for the advice. I went ahead and went with the 33"X12.5"X15" AT and for now...on the 7" rims. I may try and find some 8.5" inch rims soon if the 7" don't measure up..

CBRogers

Perpetual Parts Collector
Lifetime Member
City
Yorktown
State
Va
It can be done. Is it right?

No. It adds a lot of crown to the tread.

Officially the 8" wide rim is a little small. But IMHO is it the right combo.

The 10" seems too wide and exposes more of the wheel lip to rocks.

Perfect would be 15x9. But no one make these.

There are a lot of 17x9's out there to handle the rock racing guys as the 12.5" tread width is really popular in that sport.

Carl