• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

4.0 Head on my 4.2 Block

GreatCJ8

Charter Member
Gold Member
City
Lynchburg
State
VA
I'll soon need to do engine work of big proportions.
My plans are to go with a 4.0 head on my block or on a short block & eventually put F/I on it.
I think my mill has to much wear all around to go the rebuild route, plus I've never done one & don't have the time or patience (now) to try. Hence the short block (4.2) & 4.0 head combo I'm thinking about..
What do you think, or for now should I try to find a 304 for now or another 258...?
Oh the combo dilemmas??!!

Down the road I am looking towards a 4.0 HO FI but don't want to walk down that road, I want to drive my 8, that's why I'm asking these questions.

jefe

Basic User
City
Nevada City
State
CA
Mike,
I still think putting a '91-02, 4.0L complete engine from a wreck is your best bet. It is costly to try to get your old 4.2L rebuilt and upgraded. I've seen 4.0L's lately in the Recycler from $500 to about 1200, complete, very low mileage, bolt in, all sensors and electronics, some of them even included an AW-4, 4 speed automatic, which you could bolt your D300 to (with a $150 AA adapter). Go to my website for a long discussion on this delema and what I wound up doing, costly as it was.
http://homepage.mac.com/jefe/
regards, as always, jefe

VinnyM

Rolling work in progress
City
Martinsville
State
NJ
Mike...

Here are some real costs, I'm in NJ, for getting your motor rebuilt. I've just got mine back this week.

Head....
To have the head redone, Which includes, Hot tank and wash Head, and all its parts. Resize all valve guides, Grind all valve specs, cut seats, Lap valves and seats, Mill head true, Vacume test cooling and chambers. Asemble head and seat on block.
Cost $191.00

Block....
Hot tank and wash block and its parts. Bore and hone cylenders, (I had to go 30 over). New Bearings, freze out plugs, pistons, rings, tapits, rods, cam and cam bearing. Asemble motor, leaving me the oil pan, timming chain cover, valve cover to seat.
I purchased all the parts, as I was orgianaly going to rebuild the motor myself, but at the last second, decited to have it done.
Cost $803.00

The deal I made with the guy rebuilding my motor was that since it was the begining of summer, and I did not have all my $$$ together, that he could use it as filler. It took a little longer but it cost me less by about 10%

So all total with all the parts the total bill was $1,500.00.

I now have a motor that should last me 150K++

Good luck with your rebuild!

Vinny

mulescj8

INSANE SCRAMBLER HACK
Lifetime Member
City
Middle of No Where and Too Far From Any Where
State
Tn
sorry guys for busting your bubble

for that kind of money you can get a complete long block from Jasper engines and get a 3year/75000 mile warranty-JC

when i did mine 2 years ago the complete long block was around $1000.00

GreatCJ8

Charter Member
Gold Member
City
Lynchburg
State
VA
Re: sorry guys for busting your bubble

mulescj8 said:
for that kind of money you can get a complete long block from Jasper engines and get a 3year/75000 mile warranty-JC

I did think about going with a short block,
I take it that a 4.0 L long block doesn't come with FI already, right? I wish-

Firetruck41

Scramblerless
City
Camas
State
WA
According to the Jasper website a rebuilt 1994 4.0 and 1984 4.2 are both $2060 each, WITH exchange, ouch!:( Is there somewhere else where they are cheaper or are the prices just going through the roof? A local machine shop with a good reputation quoted me about $900 for a complete rebuild.

Ben

VinnyM

Rolling work in progress
City
Martinsville
State
NJ
Hey all....

My rebuild was a bit more pricey, and I knew it would be, because I had a desire to replace ALL or most of the components. The only old parts I uesd over were the pistion push rods and the crank. I could have used the tapits and rods over, but did not want to. Looking back at the recipt I also picked up a new water pump, and fuel pump and some other small items. I went with a Crane Cam instead of stock, just cause I could, so that added some $$ to it.

As for Jaspers, Recently I have heard so discouraging comments about them. Nothing concrete, but, When I replacesd my Chevy V6 in my work Van I went with a ProFormance Rebuilt motor instead of Jaspers. The Proformance Motor was $1,150.00, which was a lot less then what I was being quoted for the Jaspers by some of the shops and the Jaspers web site.