• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Pinky's Scrambler project - pic heavy

OrangeSpear

Legacy Registered User
City
Owings Mills
State
md
another build thread...

So this project started with my wife becoming interested in jeeps too. However if she was going to drive one she only wants a CJ8. I myself have 2 CJ7s but she doesnt care for them. So now we are adding a CJ8 to the mix.

The build really started before i even purchased the CJ8. I had already started acquiring parts as I came across them. A year before I even purchased the CJ8 I had already purchased a Ford T18a, Dana 300, the advanced adapter to marry those 2, RE extreme 4.5 lift springs, 5 rims, and 5 37inch tires.

It took me some time to locate a CJ8 that I was willing to purchase. I was after 2 things: tub in good/ok condition and a frame that was in great/good condition. This was harder to do that I thought, but after several months a friend of mine found one for me and off to PA we went to look at it.

It was a CJ8 and Cj5 combo. what I mean is that the seller would not sell me his CJ8 unless I also took his junked out CJ5. First i tried to talk him out of that but the seller stood his ground and i eventually agreed. It wasn’t that I didn’t want this rusted out thing that used to be a CJ5. I just meant 2 trips or 2trucks and trailers to get everything. Luckily I had a good friend come through and he drove up with me and with his truck and trail too.

so here are some pictures of that day...

DSC_0144JPG-1.jpg

DSC_0147JPG-1.jpg

DSC_0166JPG-1.jpg

DSC_0183JPG-1.jpg

The CJ5 combo
DSC_0205JPG-1.jpg

DSC_0314JPG-1.jpg

after we gutted the entire drive train out.
IMG_1058JPG-1.jpg

IMG_1063JPG-1.jpg

IMG_1067JPG-1.jpg

so there is a 10 IMG limit, so on to the next post......

Last edited:

OrangeSpear

Legacy Registered User
City
Owings Mills
State
md
Next thing was to decide what motor to use. For me this was an easy decision. I already have a CJ7 with a 302 V8 5.0, so this helps when troubleshooting cause I already have something to go look at.
So now the hunt is on to find a good running 5.0. Welcome my next find, 1990 Ford Bronco. With a great running 5.0. That is the only thing great about this poor abused truck. Underneath the pass side door there was 6-8 inches of the frame MISSING!!
bronco2028229JPG-1.jpg

bronco2028129JPG-1.jpg

Once these major parts where obtained it was time to start.

First we spirited the CJ8 tub from frame
Youtube video of this pull

Then started the stripping process.
IMG_1023JPG-1.jpg

IMG_1028JPG-1.jpg

IMG_1034JPG-1.jpg

IMG_1036JPG-1.jpg

IMG_1039JPG-1.jpg

rust spots that need attention:
IMG_1043JPG-1.jpg

IMG_1044JPG-1.jpg

IMG_1045JPG-1.jpg

Last edited:

OrangeSpear

Legacy Registered User
City
Owings Mills
State
md
IMG_1046JPG-1.jpg

IMG_1047JPG-1.jpg

IMG_1050JPG-1.jpg

IMG_1051JPG-1.jpg
X2

The frame is the main reason i bought this scrambler.
IMG_1053JPG-1.jpg

IMG_1054JPG-1.jpg

IMG_1055JPG-1.jpg

old tires with the new tires
IMG_1038JPG-1.jpg

Last edited:

OrangeSpear

Legacy Registered User
City
Owings Mills
State
md
Next came pulling the engine out of the bronco. This proved to be harder than we thought due to the overall decay of the frame and body. A lot of cutting was done.

IMG_1085JPG-1.jpg

IMG_1093JPG-1.jpg

IMG_1099JPG-1.jpg

IMG_1102JPG-1.jpg

IMG_1103JPG-1.jpg

IMG_1105JPG-1.jpg

IMG_1112JPG-1.jpg

So this is as far as i have gotten in 2 weeks of working on it.

to make things easier i ordered the motor mounts from Novak for this motor to a CJ frame.

currently im hunting done a Ford 9 rear axle out of an early bronco 1966-1977 and I have found a front dana 44 out of a 77ish Cherokee chef.

all pictures - including these in this post and more are in this picasa album

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Looks good! :thumbsup:on the pictures! We are real pic lovers here. Keep us posted!

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
If you were looking for a tub in "Good/OK" condition and that was what you settled on (I realize later you posted about the frame being the selling point, of course) HAVE I GOT A DEAL FOR YOU!

Seriously, it's good to hear I'm not the only one who considers his tub in "OK" condition. Can't wait to see how your build goes, I'll be hitting BW up for popcorn because it's too dang expensive these days and all my money goes into my CJ.

OrangeSpear

Legacy Registered User
City
Owings Mills
State
md
are we able to embed youtube videos here? I posted a link to one but i wasnt sure if there was a better way on here. I know how each forum has its own rules about certain things like that.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
are we able to embed youtube videos here? I posted a link to one but i wasnt sure if there was a better way on here. I know how each forum has its own rules about certain things like that.
We don't have it integrated into the forum for you, but I believe it can be done using the forum embedding link from the YouTube page. Copy it off YouTube and paste it in your post. We don't have anything against getting it on here however you can.

OrangeSpear

Legacy Registered User
City
Owings Mills
State
md
<object width="1280" height="750"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K2TrlNHFbzo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0&amp;hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K2TrlNHFbzo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0&amp;hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="1280" height="750"></embed></object>

Craner8

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Orlando
State
FL
Nice. Great pics, and video. Keep it up. We will all be watching....pass the popcorn BW! Is this a daily driver for the wife or did I miss it?

OrangeSpear

Legacy Registered User
City
Owings Mills
State
md
the weekend update.

I was finally able to aqcuire the rear axle i was wanting to use. Its a Ford 9 out of and early Bronco. I think this is out of a '72 but not 100% sure. It did however already have the gears in it that i was going with. But I needed to double check that it really was 4.10 so out with the 3rd member. I counted the teeth, 37 on the big ring and 9 on the little one. This means its 4.10. really its 4.11 but not sure why we call it 4.10.

1000001123JPG-1.jpg

1000001122JPG-1.jpg

1000001121JPG-1.jpg

I forgot to take any pictures of the axle before I took it all apart.

The next day was spent grinding, cutting, and priming. My wife wanted to participate so she came out this day and did all of the grinding with the angle grinder and a twisted wire knot brush. Those pictures will come shortly. She wants to post them. We also cut off the old perches and where the shocks once were.

zr10054

Car and Gun Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Gonzales
State
La
Ok OS I've been observing, I seem to see a fairly new shop with new engine hoist, engine stand and floor jacks too, jeep and a bronco. Whats the secret here? lol, Seriously, this type projects will take a big bite out of the wallet. Good Luck with the build. Looks like we'll have to order another truck load of popcorm BW.

OrangeSpear

Legacy Registered User
City
Owings Mills
State
md
good eyes there... well i wish i could say that i won the lottery but I didnt.
the garage is brand new but not mine. Its my friends that he just finished. Its a 40x60 poll barn. but with no electricity. So we have to get creative. We have a generator and one extension cord running from the house. Most small things we use the cord (battery powered tools) but for the air compressor or the welder we have to fire up the generator. There just wasnt $$ in his budget for electricity at the start of his poll barn project. Hopefully I can help him get electricity in the next month or 2.
So what your seeing in most pictures are a combination of 2 people's tools. But this isnt our first jeep experience. Between the 2 of us we have a couple of jeeps sitting around. But this is the first CJ8.

PINKY

Basic User
City
owings mills
State
md
Hey All
Pinky here, don't think I ever introduced myself so hi. That's my Scrambler. It'll be a quasi DD. I haven't helped out much (I mainly send food) but I did Sunday so I figured I would post up pix bc if there's no pix then it didn't happen.
1000001124JPG-1.jpg

1000001134JPG-1.jpg

1000001137JPG-1.jpg

1000001139JPG-1.jpg

Hope you guys enjoy the thread and I love some :popcorn: