Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    City/State
    Owings Mills, md

Paint?

Paint help.
    its been a while since I shot a car with paint but im trying to remember everything.

So im going to list what im doing and you tell me if its wrong or give suggestions.

The entire exterior of the jeep will be painted with this Rat Rod Flat Black Paint Kit.
    http://www.eastwood.com/rat-rod-flat-black-paint-kit.html <-- this is the only thing that has already been bought.

The inside will be truck bed lined but then painted over.
    Im thinking about going with this prodcut, {please remember this is for my wife and she has picked out the colors}
    Hot Pink Urethane Acrylic Paint Kit
    http://www.paintforcars.com/kitu_hotpink.html anyone ever use Starfire?

Then to get the paint even flatter or duller looking i was thinking about this for the top coat inside and out,
    http://www.eastwood.com/ew-rat-rod-satin-clear-ouart-kit.html

Primer questions:
    I have heard that since the fiberglass tub is gel-coated, All i need to do is scuff the paint and start painting. No need to prime. Can anyone confirm this or suggest differently?

City/State
    Owings Mills, md
    Somebody wanted to see what her jeep looked like with the tub on and how high it was going to be.

--------------------------------------------

Dash is in and steering column. (fiberglass -> very itchy)

measure 15 times, cut once. then use a drimel to get it to the actual right size.

Windshield hangers on and Front half of cage is now in. Still need to tie it into the frame.

Stripping the dash.

now the clutch master cylinder is in, the wiring harness square hole is cut and the windshield is about to go on.

all the duct working is in and cut. Heater core is in. Cut the transmission/Tcase hole open larger to get the TwinShifters in from the Tcase. (the Dana300 shift rails have been modded to allow high and low range, in either front, rear or 4 wheel drive.)

City/State
    Pickens, SC
    Scrambler Year
    Year Purchased
    Stripping the dash.

I HAVE THAT SAME EXACT SHIRT SIGNED BY DABO HIMSELF!!

I live about 6 miles from Clemson University and Bleed Orange!

You mentioned about Starfire from Paint for Cars. Man I used it on mine and could not have been happier with it. I had never painted a car before and in my own true fashion I picked the hardest thing to paint.....a dark metallic (Blue Sapphire Metallic Kit) This stuff was so easy to work with and the directions were spot on. I laid 3-4 coats on mine and I think that it looks insanely good especially for my first time. I only had one....that is right....one run on the entire project. The Metallic in the paint is crazy too. Here are a couple of pictures of how mine turned out.

City/State
    Owings Mills, md
    Quote Originally Posted by SCJeeper View Post
    Stripping the dash.

WOW your jeep looks awesome. the paint looks really good. I feel better about buying this unknown paint now.
    I know i have room for error cause im using that pink paint only to paint the inside and the inside will already have truck bed-liner down.

City/State
    Pickens, SC
    Scrambler Year
    Year Purchased
    I hope you have as good results as I did. I will be using it to paint myCJ7 as well after a bunch of body work is dont to it. Good Luck!

City/State
    Owings Mills, md
    several things got started and several things are very close to being completed.

The cage is mostly complete. Its just tack welded together. We still have to pull it out for paint and that is when we will do the finish welds.

Jump seat installed

I did a very short video of how the jump seat operates. I really like how it works.http://youtu.be/L4cap27JQ1I
    Becasue the seat does fold out to almost the middle of the body, I decided to only install one jump seat.

Seat mount bars. Not pictured is the back bar that just ran straight across without needing to be modified to clear the hump.

I learned in my CJ7 that even with a seat slider i couldn't get the seat far enough forward for my wife to reach the pedals comfortably and far enough back for me to be comfortable. So i fixed that issue in this jeep. I took 2 sets of seat sliders and welded them together. Now her knees can be in the dash if she prefers while I can still slide back far enough to fit too.

City/State
    Owings Mills, md
    Front Bumper:

Used what we had laying around. Used CJ rear bumper, Universial wench plate and DOM.

first thing that need to be addressed was reinforcement. Because we had to cut into the front cross-member to make a 'door' for the power-steering box, I added a piece of DOM to the front cross-member.

Next cut off old mounts on the bumper. Since it was a rear.
    Bent the DOM for the front stinger.

new mounts on top, bottom and side.

Painted and drying. waiting for install.

Rear bumper/Tire swing carrier:

City/State
    Owings Mills, md
    this weekend was getting the front clip on, all seats in, center console, finish up rear bumper build and start on rocker panel guards. ( and a lot of little loose ends that really arent picture worthy but must be done.)

Setting the grill into place. Also not pictured is the electric fan system that i pulled from a ford Taurus.

The rear bumper turned out nice.

City/State
    Owings Mills, md
    The interior is in. (seat belts not in yet)

Rocker guards / Cage tie in (started)

2 frame mounts are in with 2 more to go in. The 2 that are yet in will have the cage tie in on them.

City/State
    Pickens, SC
    Scrambler Year
    Year Purchased
    Man I love those rockers....they look so familiar!! You'll love them and they look great.

City/State
    Owings Mills, md
    Not a ton of photos to share this weekend.
    Lot of little things are getting done that arent really picture worthy i guess. Like relocating the oil filter, installing the steering shaft through the HEIM, putting hoses and filters on and running some wires, putting the dash back together getting ready to be wired.

This Fiberglass body was a definite time saver but it has also presented us with many obstacles.

Here is one of many obstacles:

I am still using my old cj8 steel tub for a template. So it was time to install the brake lights and fuel fill.
    well we now have an issue. cuts were already made before we could turn back and rethink this.

to the exact left of the fuel fill hole was a metal support piece for the tailgate. it was only the very end of it so we cut it off. but the bottom lined up with the body support. this is like a C channel and the mount is right behind it. This could not be cut off and discarded. (this was late and we were tired. we probably should have stopped and came back the next day with fresh minds) So we thought we could just trip the bottom out of the plastic peice and make it fit. well it does but then the fuel fill lines didnt fit. So we made those fit. Now the gas cap doesnt fit. FML. so for now we dont have a gas cap and are kinda lost for ideas.

next obstacles:
    Doors
    Door latch brackets... Well it doesnt have a surface to mount to nor have a way of letting the door even get to the latch?!?!

any ideas?

good news is the rear bumper/tire carrier is done.

City/State
    Owings Mills, md
    The next day i was able to get the 8 on my trailer thanks to a little 3000lb wench on my trailer and a friend that showed up that day. Now we are off to my friends shop we go.

First night was spent wiring up the CJ8 dash and labeling where every wire goes.
    I will be taking everything back apart for paint.

Next we spent time eliminating wires that were not needed in the CJ8 harness anymore and labeling the ones we were keeping.

once that was completed, it took me over 1.5 hours just unwrapping the factory black tape off of the entire Ford Bronco harness.

I was left with this. Time to do the same, eliminate what is not needed in the ford harness.

Time to run the harness back around the motor and plug everything in, like the fuel injectors, alternator, AC pump[not used]...

City/State
    Owings Mills, md
    It took us a day or two to discover everything that needed grounding. Because i went with a glass body and fenders, many things assume they are being screwed into metal. Those things needed a special invitation to be grounded.

{im never in any pics cause im taking them, but finally i get to be in a video}

I forgot to wire the fuel pump back up, thats what you see me do in the beginning of this video.

Cranking the CJ8 on its own - YouTube

------------
    This is the very first time we tried to crank it.
    First time cranking the CJ8 - YouTube

Time to pack everything back up and head back to the garage.

Once back at the garage it is now time to take it all apart. Cage comes out, hood, grill, and fenders off.

fenders off

Hood off and Grill broken down.

The lovely wife helping to take every small part off of everything and bag/label them.

The cage presented itself as a huge issue. 2 guys and it weighs a lot. Fiberglass is not as forgiving as metal, so every time we hit the cage on the body it will create another thing that needs to be fixed/patched.
    Luckily we had another friend that came over and we decided to use the wench on the front of my other jeep to do the heavy controlled lifting.

Welded in the seatbelt bar and now she is getting fitted for her harness.

City/State
    Owings Mills, md
    Time to install the pc before we spray in the bed liner.

used the dremel to cut the rectangular hole.

on to prepping and painting..

Taping off the bolt holes and masking the area off.
    cleaned and cleaned and cleaned some more. taped it off and cleaned again.

Sparing it in. (there is 2 of use spraying)

City/State
    Owings Mills, md
    Multitasking at its finest.

Done!

as of last night.

we are hoping to have it done by may 31 so we can have it up at RC for the KOH qualifier that weekend and later at the PA jeep show.