• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

1983 Restore in Ga 4bt cummins goin in now

gaducker

Legacy Registered User
City
Newnan
State
ga
Hi guys and gals, I am Chris from Newnan Ga. I had a scrambler in nintey eight that was in great shape but I sold it off. I got this one from a bird farm in alabama. I have been looking around diffrent sites and have seen the dog box set up that was on the back of these at the farm. Was this some kind of offering from a dealer? They have another one down there and I am seriously thinking about going back and getting that one also. This jeep has sixty eight k original miles and they were all on dirt roads. There is no rust in this jeep anywhere except for the four panels under where the roll bar mounted. It had the doh box on it and I guess dog pee got to the unprotected metal.

Anybody else on here from west ga?????

I will have to replace the ps rear quarter panel, and the ds has a small dent that will require some repair other than that its all prep for paint. I have washed the frame rails out and run a camera from front to back and they are perfect. I guess the alabama sand dried out quick and the fact that it was never driven on the street and not subjeted to any kind of chemicals other than dog piss kept rust to a bare minumum.

I will post a pic of both of them so yall can see what the dog box looks like.
cant get pics to go

Last edited:

gaducker

Legacy Registered User
City
Newnan
State
ga
The jeep was parked 7 years ago because the rear end broke, Thats what the mechanic for the farm told me. He said he drove it where it was sitting in 4 wd and it was never touched again. Thats why I got this one instead of the other one. Turns out the ps 2 piece axel had broke the key way and stripped the splines. I put one piece axels in last week.

When I got it home I put gas in it put a batt in it and poured a shot of gas down the carb and it fired right up. I drove it around the block with the front wd pulling. It didnt want to idel very well so I had a MC2150 sitting on a 289 that came out of a 65 mustang. That did the trick it idels like a quiet sewing macine now.

By the way this jeep came with a 4 cyl and sometime during its life a 79 model 258 was swaped in. At least the intake has 79 stamped on it. But this thing runs like new now that I have tuned it up.

I had to pull the intake and exhaust off to clean it up and put a new gasket back on.

Then I ran new exhaust from the manifold back to a 40 series flowmaster.

It purrs like a kitten now.

Cant wait to make some serious progress on this jeep. It did not have a factory roll bar with it but luckily I found one within an hours driove and me and my son went and picked it up yesterday, Also got a great lookin tailgate because the one on the jeep had a nice dent rite in the JEEP lettering. and he gave me to front parking light buckets cause this one did not have either the left or the right????

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
Great score! I would go get that second one for parts if nothing else! What are your plans for the Scrambler?

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
That other one looks like a great start too and it's sitting under roof??? Someone go save it!!

Nice find! :thumbsup:

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
Seriously, what's the story on the 2nd one.... I am in the market.

gaducker

Legacy Registered User
City
Newnan
State
ga
Got some used springs. Do military wraps go to the stationary mount end instead of the shakel end?

How come pics dont come up full screen???

Last edited:

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I think they go on the spring hanger (stationary) end, but I could be wrong there.

gaducker

Legacy Registered User
City
Newnan
State
ga
So I will get fewer pms the other scrambler is no longer for sale.

gaducker

Legacy Registered User
City
Newnan
State
ga
Got the sr and the springs on the front but didn't get the shakels mounted yet.

Last edited:

gaducker

Legacy Registered User
City
Newnan
State
ga
I bought those springs used as 4 inch but the factory ones had so much sag in them i dont know if it sits like a 3 4 or 5 inch lift. The tires are 33 inch????????? any thoughts on it.

gaducker

Legacy Registered User
City
Newnan
State
ga
Well I cut the rear corner and the quarter panel off today. I got the corner back on and I will put the side on tommorow. pics on the way

Will_Texas

Legacy Registered User
City
Longview
State
TX
Wow, you are moving really fast.
You look like you know what you're doing.
It's looking great, keep the pics coming! :thumbsup:

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
I wish I could just sit and watch you work on this to learn :bow: