• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

CJ8 Rebuild in SE North Carolina

sggpenderco

Legacy Registered User
City
Rocky Point
State
NC
Hi All,

I am new to the forum and a Scrambler owner for a few months now. It's an 81 that overall is in descent shape. I had posted a few general questions in the Restoration section and after giving it some thought have decided to do a frame off restore. I hope to do a lot of the work myself but we'll see how that goes. I've got a few pics to share (once I can figure out why they won't upload) of how she sat the day I got her and a few since starting disassembly which will high-light some of the damage. I know I will need to replace the main floor panel in the back. The corners where the rollbar ties in seem to be in pretty good shape. The side panels, floor pans, and upper A pillars all need work as well as the doors - typical cracks on inside and out. The motor and transmission seem strong - straight 6 with a 4 speed. What I'd like to know.....what are some good resources out there which show really good details on how to remove/replace floor pans, side panels, where welds are, how they're attached, etc. I have never done any body work but I definitely want to give it a try......if it gets too bad and I can always take it to the pros. The plan is to start stripping it down even more this weekend so I can't take it for media blasting to determine exactly what I'm starting with. Any input would be greatly appreciated and I'm looking forward to sharing my experience with all of you.

thanks,
Steve

DSCN0477-1.jpg

Last edited:

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Sounds great! We'll be watching for the progress reports.

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
Awesome! There are quite a few really good build threads on here that are a great resource for "how-to" stuff. My advise is to get your patch panels before you begin cutting out the bad areas that way you can be sure not to cut too big of a hole. Once you get the tub media blasted it is pretty easy to see where all the seems fit together. Good luck!! :cheers:

sggpenderco

Legacy Registered User
City
Rocky Point
State
NC
Finally got some pics up....this isn't all the damage but it's very representative of what I'm dealing with.

DSCN0482-1.jpg

DSCN0483-1.jpg

DSCN0484-1.jpg

DSCN0485-1.jpg

DSCN0486-1.jpg

Last edited:

sggpenderco

Legacy Registered User
City
Rocky Point
State
NC
Disassembly has begun

Well I've finally gotten started on tear down. Attached are a few pics with progress to date. I hope to get the tub off the frame this weekend. More progress to follow.

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
Love those wheels! Usually I'm not too keen on aftermarket wheels but those just look good! What brand are they?

sggpenderco

Legacy Registered User
City
Rocky Point
State
NC
Tub finally of the frame

Finally got the tub off the frame this morning and it's headed for sand blasting on Monday. The frame was in better shape than expected. Only one body mount on the passenger side needs replacing and both body mounts on the rear cross member need some work. All the rest were in extremely good shape. This week I plan to get the gas tank off, all the break and fuel lines, drive shafts, and anything else that I can take off other than the engine, tranny, and transfer case. I'm still torn on what to do with the stock engine and tranny. There's a guy somewhat close to me that has a completely machined 360 with all new parts ready for re-assembly along with a T18 for what I think is a good price. I'm just not sure that I want to make the switch.....oh well, still time to think on that one. Also ordered my welder today......a Hobart Handler 140. With any luck, I'll start my body work next weekend. Attached are a few pics of the tub and frame. I'll post some close ups of the frame and body mounts later this weekend.

sggpenderco

Legacy Registered User
City
Rocky Point
State
NC
A few close ups of the bad body mounts - first one is the passenger and remaining are the rear cross member. Is there anywhere that sells single body mounts and the rear cross member? I'm thinking it would be best just to replace them or should I try to repair them?

MN-Paul

Legacy Registered User
City
Medina
State
MN
Very nice. I think 4wd.com has what you need.

I would go with the AMC 360. You will love it.

4miles

CJ-8 Member
City
Virginia Beach
State
VA
I vote for repair

I just cut the top out with a 4 1/2 grinder with a cutting wheel and welded new 3/16 plate in place and then drilled with a hole saw. It turned out to be a real easy repair and did not have to worry about getting the position right. If are you going with a bumper with a tire carrier and oversized tire I would consider one of the heavier gauge pieces for the rear.

BodyMountReplaceJPG-1.jpg

BodyMountWeld2JPG-1.jpg

BodyMountReplace4JPG-1.jpg

BodyMountFinish4JPG-1.jpg

Last edited:

sggpenderco

Legacy Registered User
City
Rocky Point
State
NC
Tolerance on holes for body mounts?

Thanks for the feedback....I'm going to attempt the repair on my own. My question, how much tolerance is there on drilling out the holes for the body mounts? Some of the mounts are pretty rusted up so it's hard to tell where the factory hole was. Just want to know how much wiggle room I have (if any) when I drill out the new holes.

4miles

CJ-8 Member
City
Virginia Beach
State
VA
Here is a drawing of the body mount measurements of the frame that may help you out. I just noticed the two sets on the rear crossmembers are not shown, but maybe someone with a body off the frame can give you some measurements. You could always measure them on you tub and tranfer them to the frame. There is a little bit of play in the plate mounted within the mount on the tub and a little in the bushings if using poly body bushings.

attachment.php

Last edited:

sggpenderco

Legacy Registered User
City
Rocky Point
State
NC
Motor off the frame!

In between dodging rain showers this weekend, I was able to get some work done. I pulled the tranny and engine. I also did some work on the body mounts by cutting out the ones that need replacement - both on the rear cross member and the first up from the rear on the passenger side. I also ordered my welder and it should be here this week - a Hobart Handler 140. I need to pick up some steel this week so I cut out my patches.....if all goes well the body mounts will be fixed next weekend and then the frame is off for sand blasting - still unsure on the finish, it will be either powdercoat or POR15. I still have a few odds and ends to pull off the frame - steering box, a few brake lines, back half of e-brake cables, and a few other things. Another update next weekend.

sggpenderco

Legacy Registered User
City
Rocky Point
State
NC
Hey guys.....it's been a long time since my last update. A lot of things going on back during the Spring and Summer including starting a new job and trying to relocate but......progress is being made again (now that I've employed the help of some folks that actually do this sort of work for a living). It's costing me a little bit more than expected but at the end of the day, I didn't want to be the guy that tears their jeep aparat and then it never gets put back together. Here's a few pics I snapped over the weekend along with some updates of what all I've done.

-welded new body mounts and a HD rear cross member
-sand blasted frame and went with master series rust prevention - painting actually done by me :-)
-MORE greasable shackles front and back
-upgraded gears to 4:10 (went all new with Yukon)
-Removed all the old emissions stuff and going with a Hedmann header
-DUI distributor
-Weber 32/36 carb
-new poly gas tank
-new stainless brake and fuel lines along with extended braided brake lines
-power brake upgrade (still to come)

Tub is with a body man being worked on and hopefully will have it back sometime in early January. I'm leaning towards Sherwood Green as my paint choice. Also plan to line-x (or similar) the whole tub from firewall to tailgate. I've ordered a kicker panel from Double D Fab and should have it this week. I'll post some more pics when I have time but here's a few to hold you over. Happy to be making progress again!

CJ81.jpegCJ82.jpegCJ83.jpeg

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Missed this til now! :popcorn:

Good stuff! And on the help you enlisted, you have to balance your time and enjoyment in there, nothing wrong with realizing you want to enjoy your Jeep and making it happen :thumbsup: