• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Your prefered CJ8 tire size poll

Based off the most common five tire choices which do you prefer for your CJ8?

• Total voters

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
I did a search and did not find a poll for this so here you go.

I am allways curious on how people came to their tire size choice for what they prefer on a CJ8. Not neccessarely what they are currently running but what do they prefer. Alot of factors come into play such as, street/trail duty, street only, trail only, restored, gas mileage, drivability, etc. I for one have always run 33x12.50 tires on my CJ5 and since it never sees the dirt anymore I plan on dropping the lift and going back to 31x10.50, but on the CJ8 I get mixed feelings about a tire size choice. I am a long way from needing them with my restoration, but lift, axle strength and other factors all need to be addressed well before I buy them.

CJ5's look great with 31x10.50 tires since they are a smaller Jeep all around but some CJ8's I have seen look terrible and some look good with that size.

So my poll question is: Based off the most common five tire choices which do you prefer for your CJ8? Please leave this choice to the CJ8 only.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Wheres the 32s? :)

I voted 31...but my favorite size is 32x11.50x15 on a modified CJ for all around everyday use..'cause I think the 11.5 width looks best on a stock rim and its a happy medium between the sometimes overstuffed look of 33s (depending on lift) and sometimes too skinny looking 31s.

cjgoode

Legacy Registered User
City
Central
State
FL
I think the longer wheel base of the cj8 makes it look good on 33 - 35's, so my real vote is 34's

Manhattan

Legacy Registered User
City
Atlanta
State
GA
It's a scale thing. I think 7s and 8s look great with 32s and 33s - with minimal lift.
8s on 31s or smaller look a bit off - like they're waiting for UPS to show up.
The wheel arch/opening plays into it too. On a 7, the back wheel arch has to be opened up a bit for 35s. Otherwise, the tire's diameter matches that of the body - and looks wrong. But the 8's body has room for 35s - and the added length makes it all come together.

CBRogers

Perpetual Parts Collector
Lifetime Member
City
Yorktown
State
Va
Personally I am in the 32x11.50x15 crowd too if it is a DD and fairly stock/mild lift.

I have been running the 33x10.50x15's on the TJ and have one scrambler with them and kind of like them. If you can move up the the 16" wheel the 285 is a nice combo. It is kind of a 32/33x11.50 tire and a good choice.

If you are going more off road then the 35/37" tire is a good thing unless you are going full bore then 42's are great for a trailer queen.

31's just seem too small to me on a CJ-7/8.

Carl

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
I keep forgetting about the 32 inch tire. That would be a nice compramise and it would look good on either 8 or 10 inch wide rims.

hefavitzen

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Rock Hill
State
SC
There is a guy here with some lovely Hurricane style wheels that I really like. He is selling the set for $100 and I am awfully tempted.

They are 15X10's. How do you know what tire size will fit on them?

Can I put 33x11.5 on them or 32x10.5 or 11.5's? how do you know?

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
I'm in the 32" - 33" crowd myself. Those sizes just seem to look "right" to me on most any CJ. I do like 31's on a very stock, original rig too. I'm running 33's on mine. I feel it is enough lift/tire to get to 90% of the places I want to be and I don't have to modify the Jeep to an extreme to do it. Just my :twocents:.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
30"-31" look good on a stock rig:thumbsup:

35" is too big for real off road use in the rear wheel wells, unless you cut metal or severely drop the bump stops:( At least that's how it worked out on mine (4.5'RE + 1"BL)

33" is what's going on the red Scrambler now. Hopefully, they wont hit the rear sheet metal, and the slightly lower height (compared to 35's) will help with the confidence on severe side hills:thumbsup: 33" tires seem to be a good compromise size for a dual purpose rig:twocents:

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
There is a guy here with some lovely Hurricane style wheels that I really like. He is selling the set for $100 and I am awfully tempted.

They are 15X10's. How do you know what tire size will fit on them?

Can I put 33x11.5 on them or 32x10.5 or 11.5's? how do you know?

Yes to all your sizes. I have seen 31x10.50 put on a ten inch wide rim bu they look a little odd and are really meant for a 7-8 inch rim. 33x12.50 are reccommended for a 10 inch rim but many people use 8 inch rims with good success. A 32 can go either way.

hefavitzen

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
City
Rock Hill
State
SC
Yes to all your sizes. I have seen 31x10.50 put on a ten inch wide rim bu they look a little odd and are really meant for a 7-8 inch rim. 33x12.50 are reccommended for a 10 inch rim but many people use 8 inch rims with good success. A 32 can go either way.

Awesome! Thanks for the insight!

twmattox

Legacy Registered User
City
Arcadia
State
IN
You are correct that it all depends on your use. I prefer the way 33-35 look... But, for a daily driver it is not practical. I have run 31's for nearly 10-years now. And even those are not overly practical for daily winter use. I can say that I have been passed on the highway (while in 4wd) by Honda Civics when there is snow on the road. I just end up riding on top of the snow and loose all traction. Their narrower tires sink through the snow and they get traction.

I am more in the line to think 30 x 9.5 is the direction I am leaning now.

Gueon

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Thatcher
State
AZ
30"-31" look good on a stock rig:thumbsup:

35" is too big for real off road use in the rear wheel wells, unless you cut metal or severely drop the bump stops:( At least that's how it worked out on mine (4.5'RE + 1"BL)

33" is what's going on the red Scrambler now. Hopefully, they wont hit the rear sheet metal, and the slightly lower height (compared to 35's) will help with the confidence on severe side hills:thumbsup: 33" tires seem to be a good compromise size for a dual purpose rig:twocents:
I assume you'll keep your 4.5 RE-ED lift but lose the 1" body lift?

I'm stuck trying to figure out what to do with my Jeep. The PO's 4" lift is drooping on the rear right to the tune of 3/4" so it's time to replace it. I'm still running 35x12.50s on 10" rims but my gut is telling me I need to go to a 33x12.50 so I have some room for articulation. I plan on installing the RE-ED 4.5" this summer as well as regear the diffs... Not to mention I need to buy 2 matching tires for the trailer... All very confusing, 35's or 33's?? 70% on-road and the balance on moderate ~3 trails.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I currently have 35", but the flares with the lift look like they need 37". However, the rear wheelwell looks like it would be happiest with a 33". So, I'll stick with the 35", heck, it's hard enough to get into at this height!

Yetiboy01

Legacy Registered User
City
Brisbane Australia
State
QL
36's fit just perfect with a soa, but 38's would look the part

Sent from my iPad

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
I assume you'll keep your 4.5 RE-ED lift but lose the 1" body lift?

I'm stuck trying to figure out what to do with my Jeep. The PO's 4" lift is drooping on the rear right to the tune of 3/4" so it's time to replace it. I'm still running 35x12.50s on 10" rims but my gut is telling me I need to go to a 33x12.50 so I have some room for articulation. I plan on installing the RE-ED 4.5" this summer as well as regear the diffs... Not to mention I need to buy 2 matching tires for the trailer... All very confusing, 35's or 33's?? 70% on-road and the balance on moderate ~3 trails.

I am going to keep the RE 4.5 and the 1" body lift, for now. The RE springs flex so much while off road, that even stepping down from 35's to 33's, the 1" BL may still be necessary:shrug: I will try it out, 33's with my current lift, and if I think I don't need the 1" BL, I will take it off:thumbsup: