• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

82 4bt build

AllxHeart

Legacy Registered User
City
Sherrard
State
IL
Well Jason and his Family from Kansas stopped by to buy some CJ8 parts off me and talked me in to doing a build thread for my jeep. So I've already started and there will be a lot of first for me on this build, but here we go. I got a 4bt mated to a GM NV4500 and Dana 300. I'm doing a spring over axle lift with wrangler leaf springs, hydro boost brakes, 35" tires, and probably a never ending amount of other stuff as things progress. Priority one is to get it on the road and hopefully make the missouri get together.

Be patient bc I'm new to posting something like this, but I'll do my best to keep up on everything.

gaducker

Legacy Registered User
City
Newnan
State
ga
It took me a while to figure out the pics but once it was explained to me i got it

save the pic in my pictures on your computer, go to photobucket, upload your pic to photobucket, once uploaded go view your album and when you are on the pic with your cursor you will see four links show up, copy the img code then go back to this forum and paste it in this along with your write up. Like this

photo2012-1.jpg

TxOutlaw82

Legacy Registered User
City
Montgomery
State
Tx
Please be detailed with any unforeseen problems etc. that you run into. This is an option I have been pondering on for a while now, but just can seem to decide. Fuel efficiency and the torque of a diesel is very attractive at this point. Thanks and good luck!

AllxHeart

Legacy Registered User
City
Sherrard
State
IL
Please be detailed with any unforeseen problems etc. that you run into. This is an option I have been pondering on for a while now, but just can seem to decide. Fuel efficiency and the torque of a diesel is very attractive at this point. Thanks and good luck!

I'll try to be as thorough as possible. Here's what is going on so far.

I have the 4bt in the garage awaiting a gasket kit. During transit I broke the Fuel lift pump, but there is a cummins dealer close by so I'll pick a new one up there. I also damaged the power steering pump as well so I'll be searching for another one as well. You can't get one from the cummins dealer so I'll have to figure out if a saginaw or burgeson will fit it. Other than that the engine is complete. I paid 2800 for the 4bt mated to the GM NV4500. So far I had to buy a NV4500 4x4 housing and the Dana 300 adapter plate and shaft. The Dodge version of the NV4500 does NOT need an adapter for the Dana 300.

Things already done:
Gas tank removed
Engine/tranny/transfer case removed

Things that need to be done still:
Hydro Boost brakes
SOA lift with wrangler leaf springs
New drive shafts
Fabricate Motor and transmission mounts
Hook up the engine/tranny wires and linkage
This list is longer, but I'll keep it generalized for now.

There will always be problems with any build and I'll note them as things progress. I shouldn't have any stoppage because of money and I'm besides work this is the only thing on my plate really. I'm an Aerospace Propulsion Mechanic at Tinker AFB OKC(SSGT in the Air Force).

My deadline is June at the latest, but I'm staying optimistic that I will be done sooner.

AllxHeart

Legacy Registered User
City
Sherrard
State
IL
I guess I'll explain why I chose a 4bt to put in my CJ8.

I bought my CJ8 from a guy in Daytona, but I was stationed in England. When I visited home the motor had a piston wrist pin go bad. I didn't want to spend the money to fix it then so I parked it and flew back to England. During that time I did a lot of research on what I wanted to do bc the AMC 304 isn't the greatest engine. My buddy builds jeeps at www.overbuiltcustoms.com in Jacksonville FL. They do some really cool rigs there and the owner tried talking me in to getting a chevy 350, LS1, LT1, etc. Well after my TJ rubicons ignition system and computer getting fried by an exposed wire I wanted to go as simple as possible when it comes to engines. You can't get much simpler than a cummins 4bt. The reliability is, in my opinion, next to none. I love the sound of diesels and I plan on keeping my jeep until I die. So it was an easy decision for me.

photo22-2.jpg

Took a pic when I was driving from Daytona Beach Fl to Tinker AFB OK. I bought this 87 2500 for $1500 just to tow my jeep. It ended up being a great truck after I gave it a much needed tune up. It only had 65k miles on it. Guy didn't seem like it was worth much since it ran like crap. So I lucked out on this one. After the jeep is done I'll be fixing up the truck.

AllxHeart

Legacy Registered User
City
Sherrard
State
IL
Jeep after I made it to OKC
photo3-1.jpg

Pulled the gas tank
photo21-2.jpg

Disconnecting the engine
photo4-1.jpg

Engine out
photo5-1.jpg

Interior removed
photo11-2.jpg

And heres the engine
photo41-2.jpg

photo31-2.jpg

I'll take more pics as I get stuff in. Should be getting a lot of stuff this week(fingers crossed)

AllxHeart

Legacy Registered User
City
Sherrard
State
IL
Found 2 pics of the jeep when I visited florida. Not a fan of the roll cage that was put on the jeep. It looked dumb and you couldn't put any soft top on it properly. Oh and there was no parking so I made one.
IMG_1336-1.jpg

IMG_1335-1.jpg

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Welcome and :popcorn:

I was around one of the best Scramblers I've ever seen this weekend and it was a 4bt conversion. Everyone at the event was :drool:

Can't wait to watch this come together!! :cheers:

Finally, and most importantly, thank you for your service :usflag:

PAPPYWAHO

Enjoying Retirement
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Thayer
State
KS
Well Jason and his Family from Kansas stopped by to buy some CJ8 parts off me and talked me in to doing a build thread for my jeep. So I've already started and there will be a lot of first for me on this build, but here we go. I got a 4bt mated to a GM NV4500 and Dana 300. I'm doing a spring over axle lift with wrangler leaf springs, hydro boost brakes, 35" tires, and probably a never ending amount of other stuff as things progress. Priority one is to get it on the road and hopefully make the missouri get together.

Be patient bc I'm new to posting something like this, but I'll do my best to keep up on everything.

Jason and I enjoyed our visit with you. And thanks for posting up. We think you will do great on your Scrambler build. Looking forward to watching your progress. Couple of pics below.

HPIM7247-1.jpg

Alex-------- Clif --------------------------------- Cory------Jason

HPIM7248-1.jpg

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Looking good...gonna be watching this, considering a 4BT for a Waggy project.

AllxHeart

Legacy Registered User
City
Sherrard
State
IL
Thanks Guys! I'll be doing my best.

Did a little bit today, mostly spent money.

Bought a dual voltage Miller welder and should pick it up tomorrow. Also ordered a power steering pump for the 4bt and hydroboost off ebay. I looked at Vanco, but the price is pretty darn high. I got one for 300 and the guy custom makes the linkage from your measurements so no worries there. Just have to buy the reservoir and the lines now. I also bought AMC V8 motor mounts that I'll be using for the custom mounts. The only thing I managed with the jeep was taking off the brake master cylinder. I spent most my time trying to get the gear off the broken power steering pump. There is a spot in the middle of the gear for an allen wrench and two threaded spots on either side of the spot for the allen wrench. I threaded in two bolts and anchored the gear with a bar between the two bolts while I tried to turn the allen wrench, but I couldn't get it to move. I also bent the two bolts I was using and they are the bolts for my headers. :/ I'll try again later when my buddy is around. I'm lucky to have my buddy because I am using his garage and driveway to work on my jeep. I think he enjoys it as much as I do though.

Ordering more parts tomorrow and hoping for parts to start flooding in. It's getting warm in oklahoma and my old pickup doesn't have A/C. I'm ready to ride with the top off on the jeep. In time....

Also, does anyone know where I can get stock body mount bolts? I managed to break nearly all of mine when I tried replacing my mounts. Otherwise I'll just go match them at Ace Hardware if possible.

Last edited:

rreed

Legacy Registered User
City
Anytown
State
TX
That Chevy is incredible, makes me want one again soooo bad. But the wife would make me get rid of my J-20 and that is simply not an option. Excellent examples from the 1980s!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

AllxHeart

Legacy Registered User
City
Sherrard
State
IL
That Chevy is incredible, makes me want one again soooo bad. But the wife would make me get rid of my J-20 and that is simply not an option. Excellent examples from the 1980s!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Agreed! Love my grandpa truck. They all have a certain smell and mine doesn't run perfect, but it always gets me where I need to go. I'm actually going to fix it up and paint it when the jeep is finished... well when the jeep is running. ha.

AllxHeart

Legacy Registered User
City
Sherrard
State
IL
Came home to some packages!

Got my SOA perches and u bolts from Ruff Stuff and I also got my 4bt full engine gasket kit. That means I will be working on tearing down the engine this weekend and making sure internals are in good condition. Hoping for no serious damage that will delay this project. Should be picking up my welder tomorrow. If my leaf spring bushing come in this week then maybe I will have the lift kit done as well. Gotta put the lift in before the whole engine mock up phase starts.

Finally got to turn a wrench at my new base. I work on C-17 engines now. I do engine tear down and it's a big motor. The way it works is simple... well compared to turbo prop engines. I worked AC-130H and C-130 shadows and talons for the last 7 years. Those engines will make a liar out of you every day. I love them though. It's like having an old car. When it runs you are really proud bc you got it there, but when it's broke (often) you are cursing it to hell. haha. Wish I was still working turbo prop. If you've ever seen the first transformers movie the AC-130 Gunship that blows up the sand Decepticon was my plane. I launched it that day and when she got back we put a Decepticon kill stencil on it. If I find my Hard drive I'll dig up some photos of some of my airplanes.

rreed

Legacy Registered User
City
Anytown
State
TX
Grampa truck was exactly what I was thinking when I saw the hub caps ("wheel covers" for the 21st century crowd). You just don't find those any more, let alone in that good of shape. I don't know why but lately I've been jonesing for a, I dunno, 1972 Buick or Pontiac or something. All completely bone stock. This morning I saw an old guy driving an early 80s Chevy impala that was bone stock, for sale. But we digress. :)

Yes please on the air plane pics, that would be awesome. And more of the Chevy too. Very clever on the Decepticon kill stencil. :cheers:

AllxHeart

Legacy Registered User
City
Sherrard
State
IL
With the site down and the me getting used to the new updates I'm finally making an update. Last weekend I spent, what seemed like, every waking minute in the garage tearing down the engine and inspecting everything. The cylinder walls looked great most of the engine components came off without too much trouble. I did run in a to a couple problems but managed to overcome them.
Couple pics of the engine being torn down.
photo53-1.jpg

photo32-1.jpg

photo21-1.jpg

Here things are nice and tidy when we took them off.
photo11-1.jpg

Not so much now.
photo1-1.jpg

We used a common steering wheel puller to take off the fuel pump drive gear.
photo12-1.jpg

Used this gear puller to take off the fan. I already had an electric fan hooked up in my jeep so I'm ditching the belt driven fan. I'm just now thinking how the serpentine belt will be set up without the fan. hmmmm. oh well another bridge.
photo42-1.jpg

Got that pesky gear from the power steering pump off with the same steering wheel puller, a socket, and a little bit of heat
photo22-1.jpg

Got my used power steering pump with reservoir in and of course it has an attachment that needs to come off.
photo51-1.jpg

Now the engine is coming back together. Need to head to the cummins dealer and get a few things that I managed to break. :/
photo31-1.jpg

So things are going alright. Hoping to make a run to the cummins dealer thursday and pick up/order my fuel lift pump, some seals, and bolts.

AllxHeart

Legacy Registered User
City
Sherrard
State
IL
I'm glad that I am always on craigslist. Scored a dana 30/44 high steer knuckle setup brand new never installed. paid half the amount you would online.
photo41-1.jpg

AllxHeart

Legacy Registered User
City
Sherrard
State
IL
So I'm researching driveshafts and since I'm doing a spring over axle lift I'm curious if it will be necessary to buy a cv rear shaft? I'll check the geometry after the lift is installed of course, but just wanted to hear anyones thoughts on them.

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
Hey....
Loving the build so far! I also wonder if you'd cross post this on the militaryjeepers site?