• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Jeeps...why is it hard to own just one?

Flatie46

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
City
Russllville
State
TN
2 Years ago I traded for a CJ-5, now I have 2 5's and an 8 plus have a growing pile of Jeep Jewels ( some would call it junk... those people suck). I've noticed that many own more than one. I guess once you get the sickness, it's hard to pass 'em up if you've got the room and $$$. It's a great hobby for sure.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I heard a quote, forgot who, but here goes-

"I want two- one to play with and one to break!"

Of course, owning a Jeep means working on a Jeep. And getting Jeep parts means getting "partsters". Eventually you end up getting enough spare parts that your "partsters" turn into projects, which in turn require more parts, which leads to more "partsters", which........you see where I'm going with this. PLUS- while working on the Jeep you need something to drive, which is obviously another Jeep. See? Makes perfect sense!

You could be really sick like me, and have Jeeps and VW's...so there's two sets of the above scenario. We drove to a VW Drag/Swap/Show today....found a shortbed J10 hiding in the weeds for sale- but no body around and no number. Then at the show I told my wife that I never should have sold my Baja Bug- she said "Why don't you build another one- only this time it needs to be a little more capable so we can take it to the dunes and really have some fun." I love her....

Last edited:

Kane

CJ-8 Member
City
Berlin
State
ct
Its a tough hobby on the wallet for sure. I have a CJ5 and a CJ8 that is under the knife right now. I bought the 8 so I can have more room now that I have a kid (that was my excuse anyway) and my 5 I have owned for 22 years so I can't get rid of it know. And like Randy my other sickness is sport bikes and doing track days. I had four bikes at one point and each served a different purpose. Know I worked my way down to just three of them. One for the dirt, one for track and one for street.

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
Its a cross between the sickness and good therapy. When you have it bad you would rather buy parts than eat (been there). And when times get hard and you can't eat...you still dream of building a Jeep, therapy! :)
And there should come a mantra every time someone gets "sick". Never throw anything away/sell a jeep. It will be needed or regretted.

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
Jeeps are cheap to obtain but expensive to own. Once you have one it is a never ending process of building, repairing, upgrading and rebuilding.

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
It used to be simple (age 14): 1947 Willys truck to pull the 1947 2A back to the barn when it quit running.....Add 1967 Scout 800 (age 18) to drive on the street and go on trail rides with Jeep club.....Add NEW 1973 CJ-5 V-8 to do Everything (age 21) daily driver with H-78 Goodyear's, 31X14.50 Terra Tires for trail, 16.50 Paddle Tires for sand drags & dunes.....add tube chassis Jeepster Commando Sand drag/Hill climb racer (age 26) .....Build altered wheelbase (110 inch) dedicated trail & enduro Jeep (age 28).... then it started to get complicated.....Jeeps to collect....Scramblers....43 CJ-8s to date have pasted through here looking for appreciative owners to love them (we have 14 currently in various states of Needs and purpose).....and a total of 367 CJ, YJ , LJ , and TJs have been part of our family. With a hobby like this, who has time to retire?

:wave:

gazzo

AMC Jeep nutjob
Lifetime Member
City
Fremantle
State
WA
Copy that. I bought my CJ7 in about 96. A mate picked up his 8 a couple of weeks later. That one has just moved into my workshop out the back pending its frameoff.
I picked up my 8 a few months back to take to our little holiday house up the beach from here. Some decent rust here and there in the usual spots but mechanically pretty good (after a tranny rebuild that is, and front springs out of my 7, and carpet out of the 7, and tin top and doors off and fitted plywood drop tailgate, and painted the rims and installed two missing centre chrom hub covers off my original 7 rims, and, and, and, and....
And now that my frame off on the 7 is pretty much done I am eyeing off the 8, sure would be nice to rebuild that! I have a 360 from a 79 Cherokee under the house looking for a home. Might help to wake up the 999 and get up some dunes.
We have had two FSJ Cherokees, long JK (just sold). But I won't feel satisfied until I have the Wagoneer. One day.
http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t443/garyspecialsauce/721b617f.jpg
http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t443/garyspecialsauce/8bd49070.jpg
http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t443/garyspecialsauce/635f65fb.jpg

Attachments

• 721b617f.jpg
    721b617f.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 175
  • 8bd49070.jpg
    8bd49070.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 180

PetesCj-8

CJ-8 Member
City
slatington
State
pa
True. And you have single handedly forced more Jeeps and Jeep parts upon us from your exstensive Craigslist searches.
You Rock! :bacon:

Thanks
Pete
Jeeps are cheap to obtain but expensive to own. Once you have one it is a never ending process of building, repairing, upgrading and rebuilding.

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
True. And you have single handedly forced more Jeeps and Jeep parts upon us from your exstensive Craigslist searches.
You Rock! :bacon:

Thanks
Pete

:evil:

Gazzo: That is a cool Overlander you have! Pretty rare over here in the States!

gazzo

AMC Jeep nutjob
Lifetime Member
City
Fremantle
State
WA
Thanks. Wow this is weird replying to a post that's nearly 2 years old.
More jeeps more jeeps
pu6ynuba-1.jpg
y4eqesa9-1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

84scramblertex

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Richardson
State
TX
Still an important topic, right Gazzo?

We only have 1 Jeep right now. I am having a blast fixing this thing up. I have been on Craigslist already looking for another CJ. Not to mention finishing my Chevelle and starting the body and paint on the El Camino.......

Bugman

The Rubicon, my backyard
City
Pollock Pines
State
CA
I had to laugh at this. A couple of years ago my wife dropped me off at a friends warehouse and we passed close to 10 Jeeps in the fenced parking lot. She asks if friends wife knows about all the Jeeps he has and I tell her I don't know but just in case she doesn't, it would be best not to say anything. They were all MY Jeeps he was storing for me.

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
I had to laugh at this. A couple of years ago my wife dropped me off at a friends warehouse and we passed close to 10 Jeeps in the fenced parking lot. She asks if friends wife knows about all the Jeeps he has and I tell her I don't know but just in case she doesn't, it would be best not to say anything. They were all MY Jeeps he was storing for me.

Hahahaha! That is awesome.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR

Too cool!

I just picked up my second Scrambler this week, so I guess my sickness is official...

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
Well the way i see it is that they need friends to talk to when we aren't around. .

Sent from my SPH-L900

Bad Karma

Captain Sarcasm
BENEFACTOR
Lifetime Member
City
Cobourg, Ontario, Cana
State
da
Yup, I have the same problem.

Really its a simple math equation.

N + 1 = :D
N = The number of Jeeps you currently own.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
I only have 3 scramblers. I think I am ok. Some of you guys are nuts !!!

Bad Karma

Captain Sarcasm
BENEFACTOR
Lifetime Member
City
Cobourg, Ontario, Cana
State
da
I only have 3 scramblers. I think I am ok. Some of you guys are nuts !!!

The thread is called "Jeeps...why is it hard to own just one?", not "Scramblers...why is it hard to own just one?"

Whats your official count up to now, Jersey? I think you're nuts!!! :crazy: (more like jealous)