• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Scrambler in a box.

ORIONCRW

Legacy Registered User
City
Oxnard
State
CA
here is the start of our Scrambler "In a box". Started with out first CJ-8. Body and frame Blasted and primed, reassembled to make a roller then sold to us. Was a 4cyl and a 5-speed. We got it with a rough runing 258 and a T176/D300. Cool to have a ACME full hard top and full fiberglass doors (on since new). Dont think we will keep them though. Will go with a 4.0/AX15 with a D300.

Attachments

• P1030286.JPG
    P1030286.JPG
    568.5 KB · Views: 908

ORIONCRW

Legacy Registered User
City
Oxnard
State
CA
Here is a pic of the 4.0/Ax-15 we bought for the project. its out of a 92 Cherokee. We did get a HESCO harness to make it easy.

Attachments

• P1030287.JPG
    P1030287.JPG
    602 KB · Views: 884

ORIONCRW

Legacy Registered User
City
Oxnard
State
CA
P1030294.JPGSorry for the time line. Just got the motor and Trans mated and installed for mock-up.

ORIONCRW

Legacy Registered User
City
Oxnard
State
CA
We had motor mount issue's. Stock CJ mounts had to motor/trans off a few degrees. fixed with some aftermarket bushing style. Now everything lines up great. Started to install the new Hesco 4.0 harness. Found out I dont have any engine harness to splice into!. Did get the new body mounts installed. P1030295.JPGP1030296.JPGP1030297.JPG

DaveZilla

Racing Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Brandon
State
MS
Nice Scrambler, looks like you got a good start going.

Last edited:

ORIONCRW

Legacy Registered User
City
Oxnard
State
CA
Thanks. just got the D300 adaptor ring installed. Time for it to go behind the AX15. Then need to start on the drive shafts.P1030303.JPG

ORIONCRW

Legacy Registered User
City
Oxnard
State
CA
Scored a craigs list find. D44's at 58" with CJ perches already done. Thanks Walt!P1030305.JPGP1030306.JPG

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Progress looks great! Still interested in the top...my summer trip didn't happen, looks like I might end up flying down and renting a truck to bring stuff back.

ORIONCRW

Legacy Registered User
City
Oxnard
State
CA
Finally had the rear D44 rebuilt. It had too much rust in to use. Now have both 58" D44's mounted under the -8. The wider axle's do make a much better look. We descided to replace the hard top and doors with a soft top and half doors. The top is for sale if anybody needs one. Its a ACME full length with the full fiberglass ACME doors with two windows.P1030320.JPG

jims chop shop

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
stafford
State
va
Nice !!
What is the front 44 out of originally !!

I have purchased a set of scout 44's (4.09 ratio ) for my commando
But I need to grind to axle yokes off to rotate them back and get 6-8 degrees of negative caster

ORIONCRW

Legacy Registered User
City
Oxnard
State
CA
The axle's are from a 78 Scout. They were already modified to fit a CJ7. So luck was on my side this time. We just have to cut off the aftermarket shock mounts on the front axle or buy new shorter shocks.
The top is physicaly in good shape but the latches and seals are hard and worn. Plus the rear lifting mechinism is missing. Not looking to make large money. Just want a new full soft top.
Had a wonderful time benchpressing the D300 into place many times to find the right clocking position and where it would clear the shifter mount. The joys of a lifted CJ8! Ended up making a wood adapter to mount it on the jack and lift it high enough. GREAT fun.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Had a wonderful time benchpressing the D300 into place many times to find the right clocking position and where it would clear the shifter mount. The joys of a lifted CJ8! ... GREAT fun.

That's a Scrambler/CJ rite of passage :D

Looking great!

ORIONCRW

Legacy Registered User
City
Oxnard
State
CA
When we found these on craigslist they were already set up for a CJ7. So they did bolt right up in our -8. I would have to look at a stock set from a scout to measure the spring perch width. Changing the perch width is difficult with a welder. We just got real lucky to find a set already done. I can send the dimensions and angles if you need them.

Roman

Legacy Registered User
City
Kennewick
State
wa
Is the Scout front D44 narrowed? It doesn't look like it from the pic. How wide are your front springs (center to center)

Can you snap a pic of your spring perches?

Thanks, and sorry for all the questions . . . :cheers:

ORIONCRW

Legacy Registered User
City
Oxnard
State
CA
The center to center of the perch's measurement is 27.75". Niether axle has been shortened to my knowledge. They both measure out at 58" WMS to WMS. I can get some pics if you need them. Or send a PM with your number if you need some detailed stuff.
Tim.

ORIONCRW

Legacy Registered User
City
Oxnard
State
CA
Not very pic worthy but was a mile stone in the project.... IT'S ALIVE! Fired the new 4.0 Didnt start at first. Had some troubleshooting to do. Found a open sensor ground loop not grounded in the new Hesco harness. Go figure? Now one step closer to driving!