• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

New Wagoneer?

Kiko

Base Coat 1H
Lifetime Member
City
Cincinnati
State
Oh
Wow. I don't often say this, but that is plain ugly. Not ugly cute like a wrinkly dog, but just plain ugly. It doesn't work for my eyes.

Sent from my iPad HD

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Agreed. That front end does not look right on that body at all.

JeepScrambler

CJ-oholic
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Claflin
State
KS
Just to clarify, that is NOT an image of the new Grand Wagoneer. Luckily it is only an artist's rendering; no spy photos have been released yet (believe me, I check almost daily for updates on this thing!). As a serious potential buyer who will be in the market looking for a larger SUV (with seating greater than 5) in the next few months cannot wait for the release of the new Grand Wagoneer. The other two vehicles on my short list are the new Infinity QX56 and the Cadillac Escalade; my wife really likes the QX56 but we are waiting until the release of the Grand Wagoneer before we make our purchase so I am really hoping the new GW lives up to all the hype! Ideally I would like to see the designers pull just enough styling ideas from the older models (much like Dodge did with the Challenger's, which I feel they did a perfect job on) to somewhat keep the recognizable classic look while still make them unique from other cookie-cutter SUV's on the road. A luxury SUV with classic Jeep styling, Jeep capability and seating for 7 would be perfect!

Last edited:

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Ideally I would like to see the designers pull just enough styling ideas from the older models (much like Dodge did with the Challenger's, which I feel they did a perfect job on) to somewhat keep the recognizable classic look while still make them unique from other cookie-cutter SUV's on the road. A luxury SUV with classic Jeep styling, Jeep capability and seating for 7 would be perfect!

You just NAILED every thought I have on this thing. Jeep CAN and SHOULD hit this out of the freaking park if they use the same thinking/designers that put together the Magnum, Charger and (most especially) the Challenger :drool:

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Maybe the Nukizer front clip on an oversized Commander, with different flares...that might be cool...

Manhattan

Legacy Registered User
City
Atlanta
State
GA
By the way, just found this site (some of you already have seen)

http://www.grandwagoneer.com/

This guys work appears amazing......

If he spent less time talking/typing and more time building, he might crank out more than 2 per year. Damn. That guy needs to hire a copywriter. He spends soooo much time explaining and re-explaining the same points - and detailing the mundane "Multiple High Performance Brake System Upgrades, including full hydraulic brake systems that massively increase stopping power" Really? Hydraulic brakes? Awesome. I'm so tired of pulling the lever by the seat that the rubs the tires.

But I guess his market will buy what he's sellin. They are damn sweet.

Back to the new Grand Wagoneer... I had an 88. Want a new one. But have no idea what to expect. On one hand, Jeep did the 2011 Grand Cherokee - a #*$&ing HOMERUN! But then, there's the Commander. I fear they'll just stretch a GC, add a stripe and proclaim it a Grand Wagoneer.

MarknessMonster

Amiable Jeeper
City
Western
State
CO
Ideally I would like to see the designers pull just enough styling ideas from the older models (much like Dodge did with the Challenger's, which I feel they did a perfect job on) to somewhat keep the recognizable classic look while still make them unique from other cookie-cutter SUV's on the road. A luxury SUV with classic Jeep styling, Jeep capability and seating for 7 would be perfect!

I'm tempted to say, even as ugly as that rendition above is, I'd still buy it if it had a small torquey turbo-diesel engine with a manual tranny and achieved 30+ mpg.

Yeah, I'm just about done with gasoline engines.

Last edited:

jeepdreamer

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Colorado Springs
State
CO
Some parts of the rendering I like... some I don't. I think if it wasn't drawn as a 2wd street jeep and instead was shown with an actual solid front axle and some trail tires at least...there would be hope. As it is I don't give it a go. And how about an old school looking roofrack? Loose the hood ornament, and have the tail lights wrap around the back. Also, make the front turn signals mount below the headlights where they should be. :)

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
if it had a small torquey turbo-diesel engine with a manual tranny and achieved 30+ mpg.

From your fingers to Jeep's ears :fingerscrossed:

We'd HAVE to look really hard at trading Kate's JK in if that comes to pass. The JK isn't bad enough on gas for us to want to look at another car payment just to have something newer/better/higher MPG unless it's a BIG leap forward. A well-done new GW with the engine setup you describe would definitely fit that bill. :drool:

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
I am currently shopping 11-12 Hemi GCs (how I came across this). I'm pessimistic that the diesel they're promising will be the mileage bullet we've all been waiting for (jeep is 0 for 2 so far on oil burners). I like the size of the Durango better but can stand the looks and option packs.

tower210

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Olathe
State
KS
New GW

I'm SOOOOO glad they put the brakes on to get it right...I just hope they actually do!

Obviously I am a fan of the '12 GC. But to get the GW right, I think it needs to be bigger (wider mostly). I can't imagine they can get that pronouced, wide stance swagger that the GW should have on the current platform. :twocents:

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
The first picture posted in this thread is horrendous, and just my opinion, not a fan of any of Jeep's newer style vehicles. And with the shift to IFS, this is a no go for me:banghead:

Whenever this monstrosity is finally released, I can just imagine it is going to be priced as a "top of the line vehicle", easily over $50,000:shrug:

For that kind of coin, I would rather just by a restored original from Wagonmaster, and use the extra 10K left over for gas money:twocents::thumbsup:

Why buy an "imposter" when you can get the real thing for less:twocents::wave:

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
I really like the new Grand Cherokees, they are very capable and great looking SUV. I love the old stuff too but when it comes to getting something for the wife to drive daily and tote the kid in I'd take a new CG any day. I think Jeep/Fiat has a real opportunity for a dominating full-size lux-SUV with a history and name plate like the Grand Wagoneer. This will either be a home run or a trip back to the minor leagues. To really be what it should be it needs to compete with the true full-size top-end SUV's like the Escalade and Yukon Denali's. A Grand Wagoneer should be a big American vehicle and to try to squish it down and try to make it fit into a European size box will not be a formula for success. If it is a rebadged "twin" of the Durango it is doomed to fail already. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a truly GRAND Wagoneer!