• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Wood Rails

Rotag4891

Basic User
City
Northern KY
State
KY
rotag4891
[/URL][/IMG]Wanted to thank walkerhoundvm for the nice job on my rails. They look great and were packaged well. Couldn't be happier ! Thanks!

Last edited:

MarknessMonster

Amiable Jeeper
City
Western
State
CO
I don't have a source for the torx screws, but I think the rear bolts would be easy to acquire.

The ring is brown, and not black. I painted my wood rails a long time ago, so I had forgotten. Thanks for the reminder, JJ!

How about information on my other query; were the stocker boards Red or White oak? FWIW, White oak is more resistant to rot than Red oak, so that's what I'd use for replacement boards. Oh, and If I were building a "Red Mistress" customized Scrambler, I'd use a deep, rich Mahogany wood with a black ring. :)

Last edited:

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
I am not sure about the wood as I am not a woodworking guy but here is a close up of a set of NOS boards I have dated 1982, type 1. They look very blonde to me so I assume they are white oak ??

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347557363.740640.jpg

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
It can be very hard to distinguish red oak from white oak - it's not the color so much as it is differences in density and grain. I've had lumber supply companies try to pass off red oak for white; it's possible they don't know the difference or they have high school kids doing the sorting. The easiest way to tell is to see the tree it was cut from, I grew up in the northeast deer hunting and we all knew the deer preferred white oak over red oak acorns, so learned real quick the difference in the leaves:

white:

White-oak-leaf.jpg

red:

red%20oak%20leaf.JPG

The stock boards were white oak - you're right MM, it's more resistant and that's why it was used. Red oak is used more for interior work. With proper sealing and maintenance, you can have good results with both. White is typically harder to work with because of its density, but good results last a long time.

I thought about using a mahogany or teak when I had my first pair built, but the cost was outrageous and, once stained, I don't think there's that much of an advantage other than bragging rights.