• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

What are you guys cooking!?

SCJeeper

Legacy Registered User
City
Pickens
State
SC
Like the title says....What are you boys feeding yourselves and your families with. As most guys that cook, I personally think that I am one of the greatest chefs in the world :rotfl:. I really do love to cook and it helps the wife out and I like my cooking better than hers anyway so it works out great that I do most of the meal preperation in our household. Some of the more recent delecacies have been grilled deer tenderloin with garlic smashed taters, baked asparugus and mac n cheese for the boy. Many of you saw the pictures of the prime rib that i did at work for Christmas and the half hog before that. Monday night we had teriaky grilled chicken with fettucini alfredo and brocolli. So lets see what you guys are putting on the menu. I'm always looking for new things to cook. Pictures if you have them cause everyone loves pictures and yes it is almost lunch time while I am typing this and I am starving!

Half Hog.JPG
Red Wine Vinegar Chicken Wings  Smoked.JPG
Grilled Deer Tenderloin.JPG
Grilled Teriak Chicken and Fettucini with Brocolli.JPG

Robert Slone

Legacy Registered User
City
Spring Hope
State
NC
Makes me want to come see you. My grill is under a large pecan tree. Most of the time we cook pork or chicken we toss a couple of pecan twigs on the coals - excellent smoke flavor. Put a few cuts (pockets) in the meat and stuff it with onions and garlic, or stuff it with apple slices and raisens.
:cheers:

SCJeeper

Legacy Registered User
City
Pickens
State
SC
Come on I know we are bunch of rough and tough Jeep Men but you gotta eat. What are you boys cooking.......anything?! Last night we had some nice thick cut pork chops, baked zucinni sticks, parmesian smashed cauliflower and spinach salad with a rasberry vinagrette. I know that it sounds a little froo froo but we are trying to eat better as I am in pretty bad need of dropping some L B's.....like 53 to be exact. Sometimes I get in a rut of what to cook that is why I am asking what you guys are doing.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
53 is a pretty exact number, although i would be happy with that I suppose.

Froo froo unfortunately is the way to go if you want to drop the lbs.

Last night I made from scratch Mexican for the family... but used ground turkey instead of the more fatty ground meat... added in some rice/beans to off set the tacos (kids) and made burritos for the adults. Lots of veggies as well.

The night before I made soup... tomato base, tortellini, cut up chicken, veggies... it actually wasn't too bad.
Wife has taken it for lunch at work 2 days in a row so I must have done something right?

As for other ideas, tonight is pizza... well trying to make it anyway, we will see how that turns out.
I am sure I will get pushback on this as it will try to be healthy in a place that the kids will definitely not want it to be.

cb

trust

PITA
City
White Rock
State
NM
I do the vast majority of it at my house and I hate it, couple that with the fact that I am lucky to be home by 5 and 530 and she wants to be slopped by 530 so she can be in bed asleep by 8-830 my cooking is driven by what is simple, what's cheap and what wont she ***** about.

one hit i stumbled on was to take a small pork roast (~1-1.5 #) and drop it in the crock pot with a jar of Picante Sauce as I leave the house about 0530, it's done when I get home and i can nuc a bag of rice and she's good for usually 2 meals (one being her lunch a day or two later)

Yours looks much better though....

Last edited:

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
I do the vast majority of it at my house and I hate it, couple that with the fact that I am lucky to be home by 5 and 530 and she wants to be slopped by 530 so she can be in bed asleep by 8-830 my cooking is driven by what is simple, what's cheap and what wont she ***** about.

one hit i stumbled on was to take a small pork roast (~1-1.5 #) and drop it in the crock pot with a jar of Picante Sauce as I leave the house about 0530, it's done when I get home and i can nuc a bag of rice and she's good for usually 2 meals (one being her lunch a day or two later)

Yours looks much better though....

The crockpot is great for starting chili, stew, sauce, etc. first thing in the morning and when you get home you have very little to do.
The only issue is I get up at 5am and I really don't trust myself with sharp knives when I can't see what is going on.
That then pushes back prep to the night before and usually washing dishes (baby bottles) takes up a lot of the time... so the crockpot does tend to sit idle.

cb

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
bap-1.jpg

Need I say more? :cheers:

trust

PITA
City
White Rock
State
NM
The crockpot is great for starting chili, stew, sauce, etc. first thing in the morning and when you get home you have very little to do.
The only issue is I get up at 5am and I really don't trust myself with sharp knives when I can't see what is going on.
That then pushes back prep to the night before and usually washing dishes (baby bottles) takes up a lot of the time... so the crockpot does tend to sit idle.

cb

yeah, i dont do any prep at 5 when I get up or 530 when I leave, thats the recipe for disaster! I just unwrap the roast and drop it in the pot with the picante sauce and head out. Thats why I dont do a lot of multiple ingredient things. Simpler the better for me. Weekends or off days I might make chile or potato soup or whatever and in the summer I grill up a bunch of chicken or steak on Sunday for salads and whatever during the week. Since i really dont like any aspects of cooking except the eating I dont put much into it and since years of no longer legal organic solvents have taken most of my sense of smell and taste it doesnt even have to be all that good!

Tomorrow she gets fish stick sandwiches since it's lent

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Pizza turned more into a calzone at the end... eh, it was good, the little ones loved it... but they tried to put grapes into it :shrug:

cb

SCJeeper

Legacy Registered User
City
Pickens
State
SC
I have a friend that does all of his smoked sausages and stuff on a pellet BBQ but i know nothing about it other than he makes the best venison summer sausage on the face of the earth!

tiber

Basic User
City
Lake St. Louis
State
MO
201302031348222.jpg

Some ribs I smoked a couple of weeks ago... prepped the night before and started them up around 8am that morning.
I was opening up the smoker to give them a basting with some apple vinegar and oil w/ some more rub and decided to take a vanity pic.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
My son-in-law and I are thinking about building a wood fired outdoor pizza oven this summer....

SCJeeper

Legacy Registered User
City
Pickens
State
SC
Well nothing too fancy this weekend. Went to our best friends house Friday night and after not being able to decide where to go eat I just said that I would cook for everyone. So with me being more health concious I was made them suffer too. Just kidding it really was good it was different than the out of can out of box way that are used to eating. The menu was Marinated Grilled Chicken, Grilled potatos, grilled sweet onion in worchester sauce, steam broccoli and cheese and spaghetti squash. I thought that it was a very good and healthy meal but come to find out my buddy hates brocolli and didn't really like the the spaghetti squash. His wife wasn't greatly fond of the Spaghetti squash and his three year old daughter literally spit it out and said that those noodles were gross! Not kidding! Luckily everyone in my clan thought it was a good meal including my 2 year old so all is well.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
I remember about 35 years ago, my sister did the same thing... my Mom said to try it, she did, spit it out, said it was gross and my Mom yanked her out of the seat, took her to the next room and smacked her... after a lot of crying and yelling, she came in apologized and just sat there.

I don't think you would see that in today's parenting, which is probably why the kid did it. No consequence for actions.

cb

scrambled eggs

Basic User
City
chapin
State
sc
From an earlier post: washing baby bottles and parts alongside a breastpump in the background will test the patience of any soul...still have nightmares and the bride wants another yapper.

in regards to post below: A) parents should have made the kid either eat or go hungry...B) parent should have given the youngins a little belt soup...and 3) that meal sounds delicious...

I remember about 35 years ago, my sister did the same thing... my Mom said to try it, she did, spit it out, said it was gross and my Mom yanked her out of the seat, took her to the next room and smacked her... after a lot of crying and yelling, she came in apologized and just sat there.

I don't think you would see that in today's parenting, which is probably why the kid did it. No consequence for actions.

cb

SCJeeper

Legacy Registered User
City
Pickens
State
SC
Yea she got the "no no Spoon" pretty good after that little outburst. Needless to say, she is one of those strong willed children that you hear of. My interpretation of strong willed means that she has stayed with her grandparents too much without any real discipline so she does whatever she wants like you say without consiquences. Knock on wood my little one has his moments but knows that I will bust his tail if he does something that he is not supposed to. Last night we ate at the inlaws like every Monday night. It is always a potluck of food but last nights menu was grilled bone in pork chops, smashed turnips, chili beans and macaroni noodles. Nothing ever goes together buy hey at least it is all good. Landon is in his chair and eats everything on his plate so he wants to get down to play. We set him down and he wants his papa to get up and play with him well he was still eating so he told him no and Landon proceeds to pitch a fit. I got up took him in the other room and put him in time out the whole time he is crying for his mommy. My wife says that I expect too much from a 2 year old but I say that is never too early to start teaching them the right things to do and not to do and not have the excuse that they are too young to know better. Well they have to start learning sometime. If there is one thing that my children will learn is that there are consiquences to every decision that make in life.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Consequence example and food update... last night we had pretty simple spaghetti and homemade meatballs/sauce.

The kids love it, even though they get pretty messy, but that is what baths are for... however, last night was not bath night so it was a mess.
Anyway, after dinner that we surpriginsly well, no crazy outbursts or fits, we were watching kid cartoons for a bit and my oldest was twirling her hair.

Me... don't twirl your hair... it will cause knots
Her... no it won't (strong willed)
Me... sweetie, it is all about choices... remember, Daddy has long hair and knows about this stuff.
Her... no, your hair is shorter than mine (true, but not what I wanted to hear)
Me... don't twirl your hair... it will hurt in the morning when I comb it out.
Her... some story that doesn't pertain to anything that is going on trying to divert attention away from her being on the hot seat.
Me... don't twirl your hair...
Her... no longer listening (attention span ~7 seconds)

fast forward to the morning.

Me... time to get ready, start brushing hair
Her... screaming bloody murder as the knots were pretty bad and she wakes up her sister.
Me... time to get the scissors, we are cutting it off, they won't come out.
Her... sobbing noooooooooo, I won't do it again.

I made her clean the brush afterwards and she saw all the hair and saw all the knots.

For the next 20 minutes at home and the next 20 minutes in the truck going to class she was saying how she was NOT twirling her hair, just to let me know.
We went into daycare, she told everyone what had happened and what she wasn't going to do anymore cause her head hurt.

So, yes, it is never to early... when she said goodbye to me, she whispered to me that she wouldn't twirl her hair.

I am pretty sure she won't do that again... I told her it was all about choices and that Daddy is pretty smart about some things.

The best part was, when she got up this morning she asked if she could have some meatballs for breakfast, so apparently I did something right... but she had to settle for cheerios.

cb