City/State
    Baltimore, MD
    Scrambler Year
    1982 w/AMC 401

CJ-10 aircraft tug conversion

I may be coming into a CJ-10 diesel aircraft tug, or at least be able to buy it very cheap. I'd be interested in converting it to a true CJ-10 pickup. My question is, has anyone ever tackled this and know what on the tug is usable versus not? I know they are only 4x2 and have a super low geared transmission. My question is, can that Nissan 33SD diesel be adapted to anything else? Furthermore, is the engine even worth using since it's non-turbo?

I'm assuming both the front and rear ends would need to go as well, which wouldn't be a huge deal. Is it built essentially on a CJ-7 frame or is it its own beast?
    '82 CJ-8 - 401 V8
    '79 CJ-7 - LaRenegade Edition project :)
    '85 CJ-10a

City/State
    Richmond, VA
    Scrambler Year
    Year Purchased
    Have one in the project stage and have done quite a bit of research on these. Decent engine for what it is and they run forever. Chopped Wagoneer frame so it has much more beef than CJ. Tug engines are later N/A engines than thd Scout N/A and have the proper internals to upgrade to turbo. Several build threads on Pirate from mild to extreme. Transmission choices are limited to Big Block 727 that is in it (my choice), Scout T19 (would need adapter too), Phoenix adapter to GM auto like 700R4.

I am in Richmond so send me a PM will cell number if you want to discuss.
    Richard

62 Willys SW
    63 CJ6
    67 M715
    69 Commando
    74 Wagoneer Custom
    79 Cherokee Chief
    81 Scrambler
    86 CJ10A

City/State
    south central, AK
    Lots of people have done this. I agree that you should check out Pirate for some of the threads there. In short, you're sitting on an FSJ frame with a transfercase locked into low range. The rear is a nice beefy full-floating Dana 60. Most people seem to ditch the Nissan engine, but I've got a friend who is still running it. An FSJ front axle will bolt up, and I believe you can unlock the transfercase.
    My Aqualu/TDK/401 CJ-8 build thread
    My wife's postal pseudo-restoration thread
    ". . . [A]bout the show trucks[:] Kinda like being married to a supermodel with a chastity belt. . . great to look at but cant do a damn thing with em." - CJ ATE
    "Slap an AMC badge on it and you're good to go." - walkerhoundvm

City/State
    Baltimore, MD
    Scrambler Year
    1982 w/AMC 401
    Thanks guys. Is the frame the same width as an fsj frame? Would be great if I could use a j truck bed with a stretched frame.
    '82 CJ-8 - 401 V8
    '85 CJ-10a

City/State
    Rockville, VA
    Scrambler Year
    1981-CJ-8 SL
    Year Purchased
    Quote Originally Posted by AK-RWC View Post
    Lots of people have done this. I agree that you should check out Pirate for some of the threads there. In short, you're sitting on an FSJ frame with a transfercase locked into low range. The rear is a nice beefy full-floating Dana 60. Most people seem to ditch the Nissan engine, but I've got a friend who is still running it. An FSJ front axle will bolt up, and I believe you can unlock the transfercase.
    The rear is actually a very wide Dana 70.
    John N
    1981 Scrambler Dana 44's w/ARBs F & R, AMC 360 w/TBI, TF999, Dana 300 clocked & twin sticked w/4:1, RE 4.5" XD lift, etc........
    Plus.... 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland (DD), CJ-7 (in pieces) and 3 off brand 4x4s...

City/State
    East Norriton, PA
    Scrambler Year
    '81 & '82
    Year Purchased
    '93
    Quote Originally Posted by RubberDuck View Post
    Thanks guys. Is the frame the same width as an fsj frame? Would be great if I could use a j truck bed with a stretched frame.
    J truck bed would be WAY to wide. CJ10a tub is same spec's as a CJ basically, width wise anyway. Check out dinoot.com, maybe use one of their trailer kits for a bed. Or modify the back half of a YJ/TJ/LJ tub to use as a bed. Find an old army trailer, a m416 or a cut down m101, both have been done. I bought a 10a 16 years ago and just sold it 2 years ago, it just sat as I bought it and then found out my township wouldn't really let me work on it in my driveway. It gave it's life to restore a true CJ10 "pickup"

City/State
    Baltimore, MD
    Scrambler Year
    1982 w/AMC 401
    Wonder if a Willys pickup bed would fit? They seem a good bit narrower.
    '82 CJ-8 - 401 V8
    '85 CJ-10a

City/State
    Dexter, MI
    Scrambler Year
    84 Alaskan Postal
    Year Purchased
    1x1SpeedCraig has a build thread on here for one with the diesel. There's a ton of these builds out there if you search.

When I get back to my computer I'll move this to the other CJ forum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

'84 Alaskan Postal CJ-8: Right-hand drive, World Cab, 35s, outboarded RE 4.5" lift, XD9000i, PSC armor, Waggy 44/HD20, 4.0/AW4
    '05 Rubicon LJ: ORFAB bumpers, Ramsey 9000e, 3" Black Diamond lift, 315/75 Duratracs, GR8TOPS Exogate and prototype Safari hard top, 6-speed, CB, GR8TOPS Safari Cab
    '77 Cherokee S 4-door "Mater": Aero Tank aux gas tank, part time kit in tcase, Warn lockouts, 360 with goodies, saggy springs, loads of patina
    '08 JK Unlimited: Stock, auto, heated seat
    '99 Ford E350 "the bus": Redneck camper/tow rig conversion

My AK Postal page | All of the pics from the trip | Rockcrawler.com story of bringing the postal home from AK to NC

City/State
    Dexter, MI
    Scrambler Year
    84 Alaskan Postal
    Year Purchased
    The wheelbase as is is VERY short for a bed, they look odd IMHO unless you stretch between the wheels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

'84 Alaskan Postal CJ-8: Right-hand drive, World Cab, 35s, outboarded RE 4.5" lift, XD9000i, PSC armor, Waggy 44/HD20, 4.0/AW4
    '05 Rubicon LJ: ORFAB bumpers, Ramsey 9000e, 3" Black Diamond lift, 315/75 Duratracs, GR8TOPS Exogate and prototype Safari hard top, 6-speed, CB, GR8TOPS Safari Cab
    '77 Cherokee S 4-door "Mater": Aero Tank aux gas tank, part time kit in tcase, Warn lockouts, 360 with goodies, saggy springs, loads of patina

My AK Postal page | All of the pics from the trip | Rockcrawler.com story of bringing the postal home from AK to NC

City/State
    Newnan, ga
    Scrambler Year
    Year Purchased
    You cant get parts for the nissian at all, pull it and put a cummins in it.
    4 btaa cummins nv 4500 clocked dana 300

City/State
    Millersburg, MO
    Scrambler Year
    1982 SR
    Year Purchased
    If the frame is a cut down Waggy frame, couldn't you just swap the cab onto a Waggy frame and then build a bed? Would the front of the frame need to be modified much to fit the tug front end?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1982 Jeep Scrambler SR
    Build Thread Here:http://www.cj-8.com/forum/showthread.php?33026-FINALLY!!!-A-Build-Thread-of-My-82-Scrambler!
    1984 Jeep J10 "Plain Jane"
    2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ

City/State
    Dexter, MI
    Scrambler Year
    84 Alaskan Postal
    Year Purchased
    Here's Craig's detailed thread on the Great Lakes 4x4 forum:

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=27185

Here's where he listed it for sale on here:
    http://www.cj-8.com/forum/showthread.php?18413-O-T-Built-Jeep-CJ-10a-Tug-%28Diesel-D44s-34-quot-tires-etc-

Last edited by bigwalton; 02-27-2013 at 10:34 PM.