• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

CJ-10 aircraft tug conversion

RubberDuck

Legacy Registered User
City
Baltimore
State
MD
I may be coming into a CJ-10 diesel aircraft tug, or at least be able to buy it very cheap. I'd be interested in converting it to a true CJ-10 pickup. My question is, has anyone ever tackled this and know what on the tug is usable versus not? I know they are only 4x2 and have a super low geared transmission. My question is, can that Nissan 33SD diesel be adapted to anything else? Furthermore, is the engine even worth using since it's non-turbo?

I'm assuming both the front and rear ends would need to go as well, which wouldn't be a huge deal. Is it built essentially on a CJ-7 frame or is it its own beast?

Grantshire

Legacy Registered User
City
Richmond
State
VA
Have one in the project stage and have done quite a bit of research on these. Decent engine for what it is and they run forever. Chopped Wagoneer frame so it has much more beef than CJ. Tug engines are later N/A engines than thd Scout N/A and have the proper internals to upgrade to turbo. Several build threads on Pirate from mild to extreme. Transmission choices are limited to Big Block 727 that is in it (my choice), Scout T19 (would need adapter too), Phoenix adapter to GM auto like 700R4.

I am in Richmond so send me a PM will cell number if you want to discuss.

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
City
south central
State
AK
Lots of people have done this. I agree that you should check out Pirate for some of the threads there. In short, you're sitting on an FSJ frame with a transfercase locked into low range. The rear is a nice beefy full-floating Dana 60. Most people seem to ditch the Nissan engine, but I've got a friend who is still running it. An FSJ front axle will bolt up, and I believe you can unlock the transfercase.

RubberDuck

Legacy Registered User
City
Baltimore
State
MD
Thanks guys. Is the frame the same width as an fsj frame? Would be great if I could use a j truck bed with a stretched frame.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Lots of people have done this. I agree that you should check out Pirate for some of the threads there. In short, you're sitting on an FSJ frame with a transfercase locked into low range. The rear is a nice beefy full-floating Dana 60. Most people seem to ditch the Nissan engine, but I've got a friend who is still running it. An FSJ front axle will bolt up, and I believe you can unlock the transfercase.

The rear is actually a very wide Dana 70.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
Thanks guys. Is the frame the same width as an fsj frame? Would be great if I could use a j truck bed with a stretched frame.

J truck bed would be WAY to wide. CJ10a tub is same spec's as a CJ basically, width wise anyway. Check out dinoot.com, maybe use one of their trailer kits for a bed. Or modify the back half of a YJ/TJ/LJ tub to use as a bed. Find an old army trailer, a m416 or a cut down m101, both have been done. I bought a 10a 16 years ago and just sold it 2 years ago, it just sat as I bought it and then found out my township wouldn't really let me work on it in my driveway. It gave it's life to restore a true CJ10 "pickup"

RubberDuck

Legacy Registered User
City
Baltimore
State
MD
Wonder if a Willys pickup bed would fit? They seem a good bit narrower.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
1x1SpeedCraig has a build thread on here for one with the diesel. There's a ton of these builds out there if you search.

When I get back to my computer I'll move this to the other CJ forum.

Sent from my iPad HD

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
The wheelbase as is is VERY short for a bed, they look odd IMHO unless you stretch between the wheels.

Sent from my iPad HD

gaducker

Legacy Registered User
City
Newnan
State
ga
You cant get parts for the nissian at all, pull it and put a cummins in it.

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
If the frame is a cut down Waggy frame, couldn't you just swap the cab onto a Waggy frame and then build a bed? Would the front of the frame need to be modified much to fit the tug front end?

gazzo

AMC Jeep nutjob
Lifetime Member
City
Fremantle
State
WA
Waggie frame but stretched six inches behind where it bends and you have a CJ10 chassis. Oh by the way, in MM measure bra the Waggie frame is 3.2mm (1/8") and the CJ10 frame is closer to 5mm (3/16"?) big difference.
Old thread but what the hey

Sent from my iPhone

gazzo

AMC Jeep nutjob
Lifetime Member
City
Fremantle
State
WA
Very common motor over here :wave: What do you need?

Sent from my iPhone

gazzo

AMC Jeep nutjob
Lifetime Member
City
Fremantle
State
WA
Hey question for you guys, I noticed on another cj10 thread that the big seat was on the left, your drivers side and the single seal on the right. Is that how all your 10a jeeps are? Makes for a comfy "me n the missus" drive but seems a bit odd. Our 60/40 splits seat in any vehicle, land cruisers, old Nissan Patrols, jeeps etc have the small seat for the driver (right). Just interested zall

Sent from my iPhone

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Believe so. But it's not a very common seat option so not a lot of experience to go on ;) Doesn't that follow the fact that they simply made one seat for all uses, RHD/LHD? We are generally perry fat folks here I'm the US, maybe they figured it was necessary for that reason? :rotfl: