• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

IAFFCJ 81 Scrambler

IAFFCJ

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Manassas
State
VA
So it begins. You all have pulled me over to the dark side and I picked up an 81 scrambler in pieces. As I started working on it yesterday I thought I would start a thread and hopefully keep progress going. Nothing too exiting yesterday just some parts clean up and a lot of move this chassis here take this one over there put this tub over there, how do I fit all these parts in the garage and still let my wife park in there stuff. But I did take some pictures. :D

Washed some parts

Took Truck's tires and rims off this chassis

And put them on this chassis so we could take it over to his place (Wife says only 2 allowed at the house at one time)

Also took the 8's tub over to Truck's Truck Shop so we can get started on the tub revival assembly line. Hoping to get 2 scrambler tubs and one 7 tub fixed up all together. Should have our work cut out for us.

Jake.

ORIONCRW

Legacy Registered User
City
Oxnard
State
CA
congratulations! Once the parts are on the -8 there will be more room for parking! Or like mine it ends up in the back yard being built in a costco 10x20 tent. All fun though. Good luck!

IAFFCJ

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Manassas
State
VA
Ha just bought the 10x20 tent it is sitting in the garage. Hope to put it together tomorrow. Plan is to store the mowers and other junk in the tent so I can actually get to the jeeps.

IAFFCJ

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Manassas
State
VA
Well got the tent up just need to figure out how to keep "Stuff" off the dirt and get the garage opened back up so I can get back at these things. Getting the Scrambler sure has revived my motivation to get both of these projects going. Then a friend sends me a Craigslist ad for a 6.0 which got me trying to find money that i don't have again. Guess that much power will have to wait. Heading out to Big Dogs this weekend to help keep the itch going.

IAFFCJ

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Manassas
State
VA
Reporposed a pile of patio pavers in to tent shed floor today. Now I have a place to store all the parts and can still get to the jeeps. Let the fun begin.

Moved the CJ7 out in the driveway so I could go thru the boxes of goodies I got when I picked up the scrambler. Looks like I have an issue with getting past the rolling chassis stage. Hope to change that soon.

Then it was on to the boxes. It's like Christmas can't wait to see whats in them.

IAFFCJ

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Manassas
State
VA
Found a couple of Goodies in the boxes. First was a set of braided brake lines for a 4 in lift. As I am going a different route on the Scrambler it works out great as this was the last piece i needed for the brake system on the 7.

Also a full Stainless bolt kit. That should make reassembly a little easier.

So far it looks like the only thing I will need to find is an automatic to mate up the 4.0 and I should have the drive train ready to go in short order.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Jake, pallets will work well in the tent to store parts on. They're easy and free (behind most shopping centers).

IAFFCJ

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Manassas
State
VA
Started working on the stack of Tubs that are cluttering up Trucks shop. Not an 8 tub but figured it would be better to mess up the 7 while i was learning body work. Once this one comes off the rotisserie two CJ8s right behind it. Just hope I can keep the motivation up through hunting season.

IAFFCJ

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Manassas
State
VA
Thanks. And there is always an extra grinder handy if you want to make the drive to NOVA.

John N

Addicted....Ex-SOA VP
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Rockville
State
VA
Stick to it Jake.....

You coming to the Va Trail Ride next month?

IAFFCJ

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Manassas
State
VA
Yes sir I will be there with Truck as i still don't have any of these darn things put together.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Started working on the stack of Tubs that are cluttering up Trucks shop. Not an 8 tub but figured it would be better to mess up the 7 while i was learning body work. Once this one comes off the rotisserie two CJ8s right behind it. Just hope I can keep the motivation up through hunting season.

I need to see people doing this to motivate me to finally attack the body in my Postal this winter (assuming I'm not dealing with a toasted engine after the sand dunes trip :eek:)

Looks like great work to me!

IAFFCJ

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Manassas
State
VA
Second patch done. Came out a lot better than yesterday's.

0252903b5be783bb7eeac85752a6ccb9-1.jpg

c4cb1abed738955c96193f9e6610a664-1.jpg

IAFFCJ

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Manassas
State
VA
Well more cancer cut out. The more I cut the more I have to cut. Should be really good at this if i can figure out this tub feel like I could have built one from scratch easier. Well the "Grind" goes on. Each patch is one step closer to getting to the scramblers.

Did get one patch in yesterday

IAFFCJ

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Manassas
State
VA
One more patch down. Getting better with each one. For anyone who is wondering what "weld slow when welding sheet metal" means it = painstakingly slow. Waited until I could put my bare hand on the patch between each welding session and it looks as though there is very little to no distortion this time. Each one comes out better hope to have it figured out by the time I get to the 2 scrambler tubs that are next.

IAFFCJ

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Manassas
State
VA
Even though I will need to get this CJ7 done before i can officially start the 8 build I have started to source parts. It is my hope to have as many of the desired parts ready to go when the time comes, as to speed that build along. I have found most of the frame parts i want just need to place the order. And have been diligently searching for just the right donor vehicle for the power train. If all goes close to plan and the finances can keep up I hope to have the Scrambler ready for Alabama in June. Fingers Crossed.

mike_bfdr

Basic User
City
riverside
State
ca
good patch work, I'm glad mine didn't have that much work to do, keep up the good work