• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Jeep cj7 83 right hand drive 4x4 5 sp british export - part II

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Not sure if this is where this belongs, but I guess it is a limited production CJ7 and it is a RHD, so it is an oddball for sure.

I have been tinkering when I have time and finally got to drive it a bit yesterday. I need to get the body work done so it will pass inspection, but all in all, for the most part, it is coming along.

IMG_5044.jpg

It has new sneakers, some 15x7 Chromes I had and mostly tuned up everything... carb is being tricky with me, but all in all, nothing that can't be fixed. New oil, oil filter, air filter, fuel regulator, fuel filter, tires, rims, new rear seat, installed the bikini top, new dash pad, and a lot of other odds and ends cleaning it up and it is starting to become certifiable ;)

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Drove it tonight a bit... cleaned up the contacts on the distributor and cleaned the carb a lot and it fired right up... each day it gets better and better!
Fixed the passenger seat and dug into the headlights as they are rusted pretty good... we will see how those come out.

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Registered yesterday... Antique Vanity Plate UN1QUE

I am moving along trying to get all the things buttoned up and get it ready for inspection... getting some mirrors in the mail this week and will get the new floor welded in as well as some side body work to cover up some of the holes. It won't be perfect by any stretch, but it will be legal and finally drivable!

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
It really needs a new tub, but I don't have the time or the money for it now.
So, I called in some favors and got some free shipping on a pair of armor protection.
I know this is mainly for more off road Jeeps, however, it really helped to stiffen up the body.
The downside though was that I found out reverse lights weren't working and when I pulled the lights off to put the corners on, it was a mess, so I ripped all the wiring out and started over. I am about 80% done at the moment... more to do, but figured I would give an update.

IMG_5189.jpg

I used a 4 wire trailer pigtail and a long enough extension with a ground wire to run it so it now plugs and unplugs.

The issue is that the wwiring used to run down the driver side, which is the opposite side of most CJ7's, as this is RHD. Then someone put a painless kit in it and just tried to "reverse" the wiring, but the connectors were opposite and thus, a lot of hacking ensued to cut off the entry point from the right side... I mean left side fender well, into the area down by the filler, then across to the other side where it was dual spliced.... yeah, my description sucks, but it was a birds nest... or is that rats nest?

Anyway, I saw these, and I was happy...

IMG_5192.jpg
IMG_5193.jpg

I then also replaced the 4 shocks with new ones and all the sway bar and end link bushings with poly. Basically there were 2 bad shocks and 2 good ones, but they didn't match front to back, so I replaced them all.

All fluids are changed and now I have the driver seat out so I can replace the floor panel and then I think I will put some sort of rocker guards on there to help prolong the body a bit and then try for inspection. I want to drive it legally. It is insured, it is registered, and I now have a mileage exempt title for it as they couldn't confirm the mileage with the engine swap and history, but all in all, just need a sticker so I can start enjoying it.

cb

Jeeperdd

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
SOA Member
City
Gordonsville
State
VA
Theres a guy near dc on novajeepers.net with a white right hand drive yj tub. I think he wants $400 but everyone is getting turned off because the firewall is right hand. pm and I'll find the link if its something your interested in.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Thanks Jeeperdd for all the help, I am in touch with him now and we are discussing how to get the new tub.
Perhaps another trip down South and perhaps I can see JerseyJeeps new CJ5 on the way.

Been working on the wiring to the rear as I had to cut a lot of it out to get the lights removed for the steel panels.
I ordered up some rocker protection as well and that will go on next week, along with the floor replacement.
I have family coming in this weekend and won't be able to work on it.
The roll bar needs attention in the rear as well as the mount is not solid.

All in all thigns were good and then I tried to start it... NOTHING.
Great.

So, back and forth all week with it.
Finally got it up and running last night.

The carburetor had a few issues.
The PCV port of the carburetor had the brake booster going to it.
I measured vacuum on the booster and it has a leak.

So, imagine trying to start the rig with a massive vacuum leak, but not seeing any leak.
That essentially is what I chased down the last week.

So, removing that and hooking it to a manifold port, running the actual PCV to the PCV port and new rubber nipples on the rest that are blocked off and VA-ROOOM! Very happy the hear it, but now the timing and adjustments are needed as it is running rich.

Always something, but I drove it last night with all the new shocks and bushings and what not, very happy with all so far.
I will fix up the rest of the things, get the sticker for it and then worry about the new tub and swapping it over.

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Finally got into the RHD heating setup I got from across the pond (Dave the Sparky)

IMG_5876-1.jpg

Measuring to enlarge the hole for the blazer heater motor.

IMG_5880-1.jpg

putting it back together (defuser is on backwards, I had to correct that prior to putting it in)

IMG_5885-1.jpg

Need to plumb the liquid tonight now that I have more heater hose and antifreeze

IMG_5896-1.jpg

Cabling as well under the dash... not sure if I have the "right" cables or not and by right, I mean RHD ones if they are different lengths... so I guess I should have said "correct" ones, if there is such a thing.

cb

Dave The Sparky

Rebuilding my CJ8 very,very slowly...
City
Halifax
State
UK
I come in useful every now and then.;)
Where did you get the heater matrix from? the left hand drive ones i have in the workshop have the pipes in a different place to the right hand drive one that i have.
Mine has been soldered up before as well (should of swapped it for yours before posting it really):rotfl:

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
I got it at Napa if I remember right... I had gotten it for a LHD setup that I was going to do and it was left over and I never did it.
I could save the old one and send it back if you need it... if not, it goes to the recycler today.
The only thing is that the blower motor did not work, so I am not sure what condition the heater core is in.

cb

Dave The Sparky

Rebuilding my CJ8 very,very slowly...
City
Halifax
State
UK
Thanks Cb but you have sent me enough stuff, ill risk the one i have. It holds water whilst not under pressure anyway!.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
I classed up the "bonnet" with a very nice hood from 79/80 timeframe... the original hood had been laid back hard on the windshield frame a few too many times.
The Jeep was originally a Renegade, so the word is right, but the stripes aren't correct, they will be one day.

0424141826.jpg

Actually in fact, I bought this book not too long ago and on the cover was the exact configuration, hard to tell as it looks more black, but the color is Sherwood Green Metallic with the renegade striping.
RHD and nutmeg, etc. I wonder if it is the same Jeep? LOL.

91Qo9DTCqpL._SL1500_.jpg

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
I need to get a set of those mirrors... I had ordered them from Summit or Jeg's a while back, but they kept being on backorder.
I think I am going to run whites instead of chromes though, I think the white will really look nice against the green

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Found the mirrors and put them on... then did the wheel swap as well, next up is the floor replacement so I can drive it this summer, eventually the tub needs to be replaced.

cb

IMG_6050.jpg

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
I am thinking of blue spray bombing the rest for the meantime until I get the new tub and paint it back to the original green.

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
I don't know I am growing attached to the old relic ;) It is kind of like me... not so clean, not so perfect, but looks damn good ;)

cb

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Got things moving a bit

IMG_6537-1.jpg

1111141856.jpg
1111141856a.jpg

Found the original scan as well

1111140947.jpg

Power washed the tub yesterday before it got dark.
Started disassembly of the Jeep and got the roll bar feet cleaned up of all the crap that was still bolted to it... well rusted to it.

Craig

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
Also, have to go get a set of rollers this weekend as those tires/wheels are too nice to have on there while all the cutting, grinding, welding, painting, etc. goes on.

I hope to dig into it a bit this weekend and really get into it more by the end of the month.

I will have some parts to sell off as well as I want to upgrade a few things (steering column to tilt, don't need those rockers anymore got some stock ones, steering wheel), stuff like that.

cb