• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Cherokee starting to look better?

roch207

Basic User
City
Richburg
State
SC
It may be the spring pollen, but the new Cherokee is starting to look better to me than my original opinion. Maybe I have a fever.

I stopped by the local dealer and looked at the Cherokee, GC and Wrangler Unlimited with the intent at looking at the ecodiesel GC. 30 mpg but at a $4,500 premium. I will never break even with that deal. So the Cherokee gets 30 mpg with the gas engine and the 9 speed ZF. Hmmmmm.

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
I'd drive the Trail Hawk version...the other trim packages look too soccer mom.

roch207

Basic User
City
Richburg
State
SC
Thus the frustration. My wife had a 88 and a 93 Cherokee and loved them. She would like a mid sized SUV, but does not like the CRV, Rav4 nor the Escape. That leaves the Equinox and the Cherokee. What else is out there?

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
A 2001 Cherokee with 50k miles. Find that and roll with it. :)

The new Cherokee makes me throw up my lunch. Im sorry.

certifiablejeep

Definitley Certifiable
Lifetime Member
City
Bedford
State
NH
4 Runner is mid sized... well the previous generation is/was I guess... my wife has had one for 6 years now and loves it.
I couldn't fit/drive in the ones you mentioned, and the 4 Runner fit the bill... the very expensive bill.
I am not sure if this current generation conforms to "mid-sized" as with all vehicles, it is getting bigger and more bloated.

cb

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
I just traded in my Subaru for a 2012 Escape - I love it. Better mpgs (24-29), more interior room (the gf and I are tall and we have big dogs). Still not sure I trust the Ford brand (over Subaru), but at least the parts are domestic and the 4 cylinder engine doesn't look as complicated to work on.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
From EJS, I could get behind this Dakar concept with 33s:

1404moparconceptjeeps201412-1.jpg

Jeep Cherokee Dakar

Ken Brubaker, staff editor:
“If liking the Dakar is wrong, I don’t want to be right. This rig is pretty darn capable and I think it looks cool as heck.”
Christian Hazel, Four Wheeler brand manager:
“Fred Williams dubbed it the moon buggy. I’d thrash it like a borrowed $20 horse but I don’t think I’d want to own one.”
Agustin Jimenez, staff editor:
“Digging the Subaru exhaust note. Takes off pretty fast and crawls through the trail like an angry donkey. I’d love to thrash one through Baja!”
Verne Simons, staff editor:
“She is the belle of the ball. Who knew a ‘new’ Cherokee could actually be modified and would be very capable in a field of JKs and a diesel WK2. Loving the 33s and coilovers. A Rally car that crawls...kinda.”
Pete Trasborg, Jp brand manager:
“Agreed with Hazel and Williams. Great ride and fun to beat on. Inspires enough confidence to beat harder. When ya do, the end-of-travel bump is hard!”

Manhattan

Legacy Registered User
City
Atlanta
State
GA
I'd go the used Toyota route. I'd rather have a 3-year-old 4Runner out of warranty, than a new Jeep with a warranty. Unless you're going to lease it and throw them the keys in 3 years... the new Jeeps are just such a gamble. You might get one that's solid. Or, you could end up with one that seems like Land Rover built it. I've had both and several in between. These days, I like vintage Jeeps and new Toyotas.

I bought this a couple years ago - for the price of new Grand Cherokee. My buddy just bought a new GC - after looking at used Land Cruisers. He's had the GC in the shop more in the first 6 months than I've had the LC in 3 years. Lots (!) of electrical issues.

roch207

Basic User
City
Richburg
State
SC
In the end, JerseyJeep was right. Test drove both the 2.4 and 3.2. Then the wife fell in love with something else that she had to have.

10154338_10152115399956705_2741928729344718515_n.jpg

xjrev10

Basic User
City
Virginia
State
MN
Wife has a Patriot now... I think I like the Cherokee better. Specially the Trailhawk but 35k... Ouch.