• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Factory original rear bumper questions

84scrambler

Legacy Registered User
City
Livermore
State
CA
I went to my folks house over the weekend and pulled a bunch of crap from under there house. One of those items was my original rear bumper off of my CJ8 that I pulled off about 15 years ago. Its in descent shape but has a couple of dings by the ball hitch and and a small ding on the side of it. Because it was stored under the house it is in descent shape including the plastic sides. A few questions as I would like to sell this bumper. First, if you look at the bumper from the back along the bottom lip there is a section of low profile U-channel that is welded in for rigidity. Is this factory original, it looks like it is but would like to confirm. Second questions is resale value, would it be worth stripping the bumper fixing the 3 small dent areas and having it re-chromed? I can do most of the work repairing it but would have to send it to a chrome shop which I would imagine it would cost about $200-300 to have done. I'll take a few pictures this evening and post them up.

walkerhoundvm

Just trying to stay upright
Lifetime Member
City
Cave Creek
State
AZ
I'm gonna guess it wouldn't be worth it to fix and rechrome. Sorta like antique guns - in its current state it's worth more than if you were to do a complete restoration.

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
its worth fixing if you can find a chrome guy... over my way those guys are crazy money ... you could paint it white like they came on sr cj8s and j trucks.....

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
Be super careful with those plastic end caps! Soak the nuts on the back side with PB Blaster very well before you try to remove them. The bolts are just molded into the end cap and if you break or split the end cap trying to remove the nuts you'll most likely never find a replacement. Secondly, if you repair the dents and have it powder coated white and sell with the end caps I think you will be surprised what it would bring. The white bumpers are harder to find then the chrome and would be cheaper then re-chroming.

84scrambler

Legacy Registered User
City
Livermore
State
CA
Thanks for the advise on the end caps. I didn't get a chance to take pictures of it last night but plan on working on it this weekend so I will clean it tonight and start soaking the bolt. Powder coating might be the way to go from a price point.

I did end up getting a quote for getting the bumper stripped and re-chromed. Stripping cost and metal prep was anywhere from $100-200, and if I just wanted to get the entire thing striped and chromed it would cost $350. Definitely not a bad price.

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
yep that's about the price i got for a front bumper re chroming

84scrambler

Legacy Registered User
City
Livermore
State
CA
IMG_1104.jpgIMG_1106.jpgIMG_1109.jpgIMG_1114.jpgIMG_1122.jpg

Here are some pics of the rear bumper. I ended up washing it and the plastic actually looks to be in great condition for its year. The inside of the bumper has descent surface rust and you can see the two dings by the hitch. So is it worth restoring or leaving as is? I saw a post from last year where a perfect condition one fetched almost $800, that surprised me.

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
A nice looking original bumper as it is. Let someone enjoy it's originality. Don't mess with it. End caps are on. Don't take a chance on breaking them. Leave it alone!

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
A nice looking original bumper as it is. Let someone enjoy it's originality. Don't mess with it. End caps are on. Don't take a chance on breaking them. Leave it alone!

X2. That looks fine to me. I wouldn't worry about fixing those dents. A NOS chrome rear bumper and caps went for $1200 last year.

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
I thought it would be worse when you explained it before.. looks great ! keep it and rock it.

Sent from my SPH-L900

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
They didn't really chrome the back too so even a new one left outside a few days would have surface rust on the backside. X4 lovely bumper and drool worthy end caps !!

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
I'm in agreement also. It inmost valuable in it's current condition. :wave:

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Another vote for leaving it as is. Looks great.

The thing is, if you get it PERFECT, who would want to put on the back of a Jeep that is actually driven? Like it is, it still looks great, and you aren't scared to step on it to get up into the bed.

84scrambler

Legacy Registered User
City
Livermore
State
CA
Looks like the consensus is to leave it as is. Done and done. I also like the point of it being used on a daily driver, so your not afraid to step on it and use it. The next qestion is whats it worth?

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
The next qestion is whats it worth?[/QUOTE]

all depends on the weather and the moon alining with other planets... good day on ebay nos ones go from 700-1200 i seen.. the last end caps i seen was 250 each... bumper could go from 500-up.. :twocents: