• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

First post, first scrambler - need opinions on my first decisions

osweezea

Basic User
City
Flushing
State
MI
Hey all, great site here! Love the info and all the sharing that goes along with it. Hope to find some chums around me here or close to Flint, MI so I can learn as much as I can from them. And offer as much as possible to them (two talented and more importantly, willing, helpful hands)! So greetings, and on with the story.

So, I currently have a 79 CJ5, AMC 360, t-176, twin stick dana 300, Wide track AMC 20 rear with one piece axles, detroit, 4.56's, wide track D30 front, open, 4.56's, 4" spring lift, 2-3" body lift, rollcage, 33" boggers. That pretty much sums up my little jeep.

I also just recently got my Big jeep up and running, however not prettied up. 85 CJ7 frame, 94 YJ tub, AMC 360, T-150, D20, Front D60, 4.56, 35 spline drive flanges, custom crossover steering, 2" BDS yj SOA, rear 4 link, 14 bolt, 4.56, welded, disc brakes, tj coils, cage, H2's with new 39.50 Iroks. I'm sure theres more, but you get the idea. This big guy was my first real rodeo, and needless to say, I'm hooked. I bought the jeep mid project almost 5 years ago and had it out for the first time last thanksgiving. Learned a ton, and spent even more.

So the plan when I purchased the YJ7 was to use it and be happy. Well, that plan took long enough to have a monkey wrench (third child) thrown into it before it was completed. Needless to say, hard to fit a wife and three kids, all under 6 years old into a cj7 that has a 15 gallon fuel cell tucked into the rear cabin area. So my plan changed and I decided I was going to halt work after I got it up and running and wait until this summer passed and then I was going to cut it all in half and add 16" to the wheelbase and the tub/frame. And I thought that would buy my happyness. But I have always wanted a scrambler!

And I found one, made a stupid low offer on it, and made a trip to go pick it up. Well on arrival, the scrambler was wasted, through and through (pun intended)! The tub is nearly unrepairable, and I don't wish to repair it. The frame even more so! The repairs that had been made years ago were even failing it was so bad. I could put my fist inside the frame in multiple areas. So, it needed a tub and a new frame. So I got it for an even lower price. Good thing about this deal was that I got a useable vin plate and a clear title. Along with a NEW fiberglass tub, even though I am not a very big fan of fiberglass, as well as a freshly rebuilt 5.3L GM motor with the scrap metal I purchased. I am still waiting to pick these last two precious items up from him and hoping he gets his ducks in a row soon so I can move forward with this project.

So I am in the planning stages here and need some help. I have sourced a frame. It is actually a YJ-L frame. In really nice shape. A small amount of surface rust, but has a gearbox, intermediate shaft, and is already set up for YJ springs, so I won't need to convert a CJ frame to YJ springs as I had planned. And it is only 75 minutes from me.

My plans for this scrambler are sunny day cruising to the ice cream store, and throwing sand on the other side of the state at Silver Lake Sand Dunes. I want to make this a nice "re"-build and do a good job on everything while doing it all myself.

So, where I need help is making the choice between the drivetrain I have in my CJ5 or going with the modern 5.3 rebuild.

My original plan was to pull the questionable 304/9xx/300 and swap the 360/t176/300 from my CJ5 as well as the already proven axles/tires I have under it into the CJ8. Replace what I stole with other parts I have here and ship the CJ5 on down the road. However once I found the YJ-L frame, I wasn't going to steal the 4" springs anymore and that lead me to start questioning other things as well.

If I go the 5.3 route, I am still considering going th400, because I have one here, or 4L60. Either would work good for ice cream runs and the sand dunes, but I would like the option to hit 70-75 on the free way with out turning 3,000 rpm's too. So any input on this choice would be awesome.

But more importantly the 5.3 will cost me at least an additional 3-5k and I am wondering if we go to sell it later in life, would I be able to recoup that additional investment?

So, after all that rambling in the rambling section, do you guru's think a 5.3/4l60/300 cj8 would be worth an additional 5+k on the back end in resale over a 360/t-176/300?

Thanks for your thought and ask any questions you have. And to help the comparison, the 5.3 is suppose to be a stock rebuild and the 360 has @ 3500 miles on it now and PO said it was suppose to be around 375 hp. Just FYI. Thanks, again.

YJ-8

Basic User
City
Austin
State
TX
I read the cliff notes for the post above :)

My answer is NO, you will not get 5K more from a modern drive train. IMO you NEVER get your investment back on restoring trucks/cars unless it collectible (and even then...)-- Jeeps are not really collectible.

Build it for you, not for profit and you are guaranteed to be happy.

barrys

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
East Norriton
State
PA
YJ-L frame = long wheelbase export YJ frame???

LetchcoreCJ7

Legacy Registered User
City
Nashville
State
TN
Fiberglass body, YJ-l frame, 5.3l, auto trans. Sounds like a never ending project. Also seeing that it will be so far from stock I believe it will never fetch much money. In the case of scramblers stock and rust free brings the most money.

Dave K.

Legacy Registered User
City
Milwaukee
State
WI
Jeeps are very collectible if they are all original and either never restored/great shape or correctly restored. Modified Jeeps are merely that, modified Jeeps to the tastes of the owner--this limits the market significantly. If you pour a lot of money into special axles, engines, body mods and so on then you will only see a fraction of your investment returned. A fiberglass body will limit your market and resale value even more. I personally wouldn't purchase a Jeep with a fiberglass body for a variety of reasons. So, in a nutshell, if you're building a Jeep for your own use and don't plan on selling then go nuts......

On the rock crawling fad--this will fade over time and so will the value of these heavily modded Jeeps--you're already seeing this happening IMO.

Welcome and good luck.

DirtyB

Crazy Cajun
Lifetime Member
City
Port Allen
State
LA
Go with a metal tub and the 5.3. Don't worry about the resale.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Don't worry about the resale.

I prefer metal too, but this is what I was going to say, you shouldn't make ANY choices on a project vehicle based on resale. Use the fiberglass if you don't mind it and do whatever suits you relative to the drivetrain.

Then, once it's running, bring it and the kiddos over to the Silver Lake Sandblast which is a bunch of Scrambler folks throwing sand and enjoying the lake/ice cream/campfires/etc. :cheers:

osweezea

Basic User
City
Flushing
State
MI
So as far as resale goes, if I decide 5.3 or 6.0 with 4l60 or 4l80 mated to a Dana 300, do a nice, not flawless build what price range ballpark would I be looking at? Anyone brave enough to give me a number?

LetchcoreCJ7

Legacy Registered User
City
Nashville
State
TN
So as far as resale goes, if I decide 5.3 or 6.0 with 4l60 or 4l80 mated to a Dana 300, do a nice, not flawless build what price range ballpark would I be looking at? Anyone brave enough to give me a number?

There is too many factors to estimate. Your best bet would be to find one for sale that will be set up real similar to what you want to build.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
A 5.3 Scrambler is a completely different market than a stock/restored Scrambler.. A lot depends on the quality of the install. If you can get it to look like it was factory installed and not a hack job, you're on the way. Of course the rest of the jeep has to match the powertrain- over the top cool. A buyer wanting a Vortec powered Scrambler will also want a capable, well engineered one. And in that scenario, I don't see the fiberglass body as a drawback.

osweezea

Basic User
City
Flushing
State
MI
It's been a while since I've updated this, so thanks for all the input. I do consider everyone's opinions on the topic.

So, I have decided to go forward with this project and have made some decisions and purchases accordingly so.

Currently, I have already purchased
Fiberglass tub
One piece Fiberglass front clip
YJ-L Frame
2010 6.0L LY6, 40,000 miles
4L80 freshly rebuilt with no miles. Came from low mileage donor
Dana 300
Pair of Dana 44's Scout/Wagoneer with 4.88's, rear spool, front locker - to be swapped with 4.10's that I purchased with a set of waggy 44's
Used 35" BFG Mud Terrains - 90% on steel wheels
Stand alone harness's and computers for the motor/tranny.

I'm sure there is more, like diff covers, and stuff, but those are the bones that I will be working with.

Pics to come. And as always, feel free with any and all comments/questions/ideas/concerns or anything else that comes to your fingertips. Thanks

Pics on the way.

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
I would guess a 4l80e would not play nice with the front driveshaft using the dana 300. I rub my front shaft on hard passenger side front spring compression and I'm running an Atlas which has a farther front output offset than the dana 300.