• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Forced back to 4.2 head, etc

wylder

Basic User
City
petaluma
State
ca
Hello fellow scramblers -

We were recently turned over to the Smog Gods of California, thanks to our sacreligious ownership of a "Gross Polluter Profile" '84 Scrambler :evil:. Although we have passed the biannual Inquisition for the past eight years, this time the thumb screws were tightened down, and every inch of our Scrambler was inspected for potential heresy.

It turns out that the Smog Gods, speaking through the High Priests of the California BAR, have deemed it an Unholy Tampering & Modification to have a 4.0 head & headers on a 4.2 block. Evidently, the better performance, mileage, and lower emissions go against the original designs of the All Mighty Church.

To atone for this, we must now spend lots of money and show our good faith. Our penance is to bring all major parts into alignment, as AMC intended. So we can either:

A) replace our block with a 4.0

B) replace our 4.0 head and Edelbrock headers with sanctified 4.2 parts

Full engine swaps are so easy and glitch free, Wylder was going do it on his lunch hour. But we've grown very attached to our recently adopted Mopar 4.2 Fuel Injection Kit, and don't want to let it go to another family. So we're leaning towards B - this orthodoxy will be also be more acceptable to the Sacred Mysteries of the BAR Referee Station.

We've already picked out some cute Borla headers, but we're having a tough time finding a rebuilt head that is reasonably priced, has decent performance, and will definitely fit. Yes, Wylder could rebuild a salvaged one himself, but he's swamped these days, and the registration tithes are going to start piling up. As a dutiful helpmeet I am trying to smooth the way while he works.

Does anyone have any insights into recommended head vendors, and/or part numbers? There's a lot of junk out there on the interwebs. Does the head casting number REALLY make a difference? The retailers I've called keep asking - but we don't have the original head to refer to. :banghead:

- A jeepsunlimited.com forum post says all 81-85 4.2.s are block #3235444 (I assume this includes all Scramblers) with head cast#s 3933000, 3224480, 3241656.
- ATK's catalog shows an 81-83 head (part 2A03) with center bolts, and an 83-85 head (part 2A26) with edge bolts.
- 4wd.com says that both parts fit cast#s 000, 480, & 656 - do we care about the difference? In the $400 price range, is there a better option?

thank you for your help in getting us back on the path to righteousness - your humble fellow sinner, Wylder's wife

'84 Scrambler 6 cyl, 5sp, Laredo; 4" lift, 33s (tire make varies about every six months :rolleyes:)

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Very well said. Vehicle registration games was one of the big reasons we left CA. For all practical purposes, it should be considered a later year 4.0 FI swap and smoged as if it is a 94 or year of your FI parts. Bore or stroke could have been changed on any engine. Any chance of finding another referee that sees it as a 94 compliant motor that passes smog?

YJ-8

Basic User
City
Austin
State
TX
1. What tipped them off that the cyl head was a 4.0 vs. 4.2? I am suprised they got it, also your header and such should be CA approved but I am aware how it goes out there.

2. You also have another option, get a SB500 pass for a specialty built vehicle, they are tough to get, (give out a few hundred each year) but are good for the life of the vehicle.

Brad

wm69

Scrambler Junkie
Silver Member
Lifetime Member
City
God's Country
State
AR
Ick, can't believe you gotta jump through all those hoops. Gotta love beureaucrats. Forget that it works better, and swap old polluting stuff back on there.

I have an extra engine out of an 85 Scrambler (guy swapped in a whole 4.0). I'm guessing shipping would be a bear, but my plan for this motor is to rebuild and keep on a stand as an extra. I was considering doing the 4.0 head swap when I did the rebuild. What are your plans with your head and headers if you swap back to 4.2 parts?

K9rockydog

Basic User
City
Glendale
State
Az
among MAAAANNYY other reasons.. 'tis why I do SSOOOOOO love AZ..!! anything over 25 yrs.. classic, therefore not requiring "smug" checks..

though it is probably "bad form" to offer to purchase said pieces-parts in the same thread that you lament the soon loss of them...

but uuuhhhhh... can-I. can-I can-I-hhuuuuuhhhh...??????

Last edited:

wylder

Basic User
City
petaluma
State
ca
1. What tipped them off that the cyl head was a 4.0 vs. 4.2? I am suprised they got it, also your header and such should be CA approved but I am aware how it goes out there.

2. You also have another option, get a SB500 pass for a specialty built vehicle, they are tough to get, (give out a few hundred each year) but are good for the life of the vehicle.

Brad

Sorry its taken me so long to reply. We've been busily trying to thread our 4800 lb Scambler through the tiny orifice of the BAR needle.

We have all the appropriate DO stickers prominently displayed under the hood, as well as copies of the DOs. The Alameda BAR tech figured out the head was a 4.0 by looking up the serial number shown on the sticker for the header, and saw that it only fits a 4.0. We confirmed it was a 4.0 head - its the truth after all, and and we've had this setup for years with no issues. But according to the techs I've talked to, the BAR is now making them look up "all" serial numbers and record/report them. I've tried to get BAR to tell me what parts are included in "all", but no one is willing to answer. I'd hate to find out my muffler doesn't have an acceptable serial number, or my air filter...

At the moment we're trying to get an exception sticker, which even some BAR techs agree is appropriate, but no one seems willing to issue. Even if we end up having to switch out to the 4.2 head, etc, we're going to hold on to the 4.0 set up for a while.

I'm seriously thinking of legal action, since forcing us to spend money on "repairs" that will make the vehicle more polluting is just sooooo stupid. I kind of like the idea that we might get a feature story on the local news - That's the upside of living in an activist area, its easy to get the community outraged! Anyone wanna file a class-action with us? :crazy:

DirtyB

Crazy Cajun
Lifetime Member
City
Port Allen
State
LA
I have an 4.2 head if you need it.

That place is just plain crazy.

aluke0510

Basic User
City
Arizona
State
AZ
There may be an option for you next year.

Edelbrock will be introducing an aluminium 4.0L head and claims to be currently seeking a CARB compliance/number for it on both a 4.0 and 4.2L. If they receive that then I would guess you will be ok then. It will be pricey though... Is the issue I take it that nobody has submitted the 4.0 head for CARB approval on a 4.2L? There is really no monetary reason for somebody to submit it; who would make money to back those costs.

I know how silly these laws are. Phoenix emissions are not to dissimilar to California. I went through a bunch of shenanigans to get mine passed here. Every time I brought it in and failed it wasn't anything to do with the gas levels and they barely explain what is wrong and why it failed... Every time I retried they found something different and every time I saw the emissions sniffer numbers they were worse than the time before and fuel economy was on a steady drop as well... I prefer States that only care about the bottom line; what comes out of the tailpipe - how you get there is your problem.

http://www.enginelabs.com/features/...ock-debuts-jeep-4-0l-cylinder-head-v6-blower/

K9rockydog

Basic User
City
Glendale
State
Az
why are you even BOTHERING w/ emissions on a 25+ yo vehicle here in AZ..??? register as a historical.. no longer required..

I did it for my Scram and my CJ.. done and done

flashover604

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Lancaster
State
Oh
Maricopa huh? My uncle lives out there. One his neighbors hand builds half scale replica cars...

aluke0510

Basic User
City
Arizona
State
AZ
why are you even BOTHERING w/ emissions on a 25+ yo vehicle here in AZ..??? register as a historical.. no longer required..

I did it for my Scram and my CJ.. done and done

Yeah, that never seemed to work out for me as I had a hard time finding somebody offering antique insurance for somebody where: it is their only vehicle, parks outside, primary driver is under 30yrs old, drives 10,000miles/yr to places other than car shows, is used off-road, etc. If you have somebody that does I would love to know...

YJ-8

Basic User
City
Austin
State
TX
Edelbrock is releasing an Aluminum 4.0L head this year. They say it is 50 state legal and for the Jeep 4.0 and 4.2 engines. If Edelbrock has it certified then you should be able to pass the Smog Referee. Do some research.

I hear cost is going to be around $1,000, possibly cut to accept Chevy LS valves and perhaps widen our power bands a bit :)

aluke0510

Basic User
City
Arizona
State
AZ
Edelbrock is releasing an Aluminum 4.0L head this year. They say it is 50 state legal and for the Jeep 4.0 and 4.2 engines. If Edelbrock has it certified then you should be able to pass the Smog Referee. Do some research.

I hear cost is going to be around $1,000, possibly cut to accept Chevy LS valves and perhaps widen our power bands a bit :)

Did you read anything above? You haven't added any new information really... So not sure who you are directing the "Do some research" at.

YJ-8

Basic User
City
Austin
State
TX
So not sure who you are directing the "Do some research" at.

Well...I was helping the original poster but since you have seem to have "done some research" I will give you a thumbs up too. :thumbsup:

tiber

Basic User
City
Lake St. Louis
State
MO
As someone who just a couple months ago went through the song and dance that is STAR-compliant CA Smog Testing I can definitely feel your pain.

That being said, I stood right there while the techs were under the hood on mine, and I didn't note any serial-taking or checking... maybe try some different smog stations? Once they took down the VIN and CARB sticker information they were on to testing.
I did some Yelp research before settling on the test center I eventually used... and the guys there were very helpful in explaining why my 258-outfitted Scrambler didn't pass the first time around.