• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Camshaft break in procedure

flashover604

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Lancaster
State
Oh
Hi all. I've got a new Comp Cams 240 grind cam hurtling it's way towards me in a big brown truck. My question is: What do you guys recommend for installation and break in? I ordered a bottle of assembly lube and five quarts of Comp Cams break in oil and two K&N oil filters. What RPM and time duration? How long on the break in oil and filter? What oil after the break I oil and how long before changing it? Thanks in advance!

Zach

flashover604

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Lancaster
State
Oh
Well, I dug around and found a video from Comp Cams. They recommend cleaning the cam with mineral spirits before installing. Then you coat the surfaces including distributor gear with their install lube. They then recommend using their (of course) break in oil with higher concentrations of Zinc, phosphorous and molybdenum. Start the engine and take it up to 2000 rpm and vary the Rpm from 2000 to 2500 rpm for 30 minutes. Drain the oil and replace it and the filter.

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
That's pretty much what we do with our engines. Then ours after that get put on the dyno and loaded and heat cycled while verifying fuel loads and timing.

flashover604

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Lancaster
State
Oh
After you change the break in oil and filter, what oil do you guys refill the engine with? How long should I leave the second batch of oil in the engine before changing it again?

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
We go 300-500 mi on the break in oil then change to regular mineral oil always with a bottle of zinc additive.

flashover604

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Lancaster
State
Oh
So you'll keep the break in oil in the engine after the initial 20-30 minute 2000-2500 rpm run then change it after 300-500 miles. By mineral oil do you mean a "regular" oil (castrol etc.) and not a synthetic? What additive do you recommend?

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
If you are just changing the cam and lifters, I'd run just regular oil with some zinc additive (non synthetic) and break in the cam as suggested above. Do not let it idle in the first 10 minutes.

flashover604

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Lancaster
State
Oh
I've already got the Comp Cams break in oil, should I use it or the conventional oil with additive? I am only replacing the cam, lifters and timing set.

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
ALWAYS use a zinc additive on EVERY oil change if you run a flat tappet camshaft. Regular oil does not have enough zinc for non roller lifters anymore.

MrBeep

CJ-8 Vendor Supporter
SOA Member
CJ-8.com Vendor
City
Dillsboro
State
IN
I use Amsoil 10W30 V-Rod for flat tappet cams. Been through a lot and this is what i've ended up with. The Zinc additive I use with conventional oils now is made by Lucas. :wave:

flashover604

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Lancaster
State
Oh
I have a question. What would cause one lifter out of twelve to not hold pressure? At 2000 rpm it sounds fine, but as soon as it comes down to idle it gets looser than the others. It's a brand new Comp Cam and lifter set in a 258. When you prime the oil pump with a drill it will literally shoot oil to the ceiling on every pushrod. I'm stumped.