• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Iconic cars

TexasAg77

S.O.A. Charter Member
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Cleveland
State
TN
Well that list is definitely missing one car....:confused: ( IMHO)

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Interesting bunch of cars. Not in any particular order. . .great cars (like the Dusenberg and the Stutz Bearcat) and dud cars (like the Pacer). The 55 Chevy Truck I expected to be the new for 55 body style with the big rear window, but the picture was of the older body style. 53 to 56 Ford F-150 would have been a better choice. The Willys Jeep needed to be there with the antiques, classics, muscle cars, fined cars, large cars, small cars and everything else thrown in. But there is no way to put that variety of cars in order unless done by year. Everyone has their opinion, and this is one mans opinion.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Agreed. One man's opinion. Liked that I saw the Shelby Cobra in there. But where was the GTO? They through Pontiac a bone with the Trans Am, but the GTO started the "Muscle Car" era (according to some accounts).

Dain

YJ-8

Basic User
City
Austin
State
TX
Over all a good list, we all would choose different, but it shows surprising depth, not just cars everyone alive today remembers.

I guess if they let a pacer and dodge minivan in the list, we can vote no. 22 be a Corvair. The 150 corvair lovers out there will be happy for the acknowledgement. :)

TexasAg77

S.O.A. Charter Member
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Cleveland
State
TN
Over all a good list, we all would choose different, but it shows surprising depth, not just cars everyone alive today remembers.

I guess if they let a pacer and dodge minivan in the list, we can vote no. 22 be a Corvair. The 150 corvair lovers out there will be happy for the acknowledgement. :)

Uh, there will be 150+ Corvairs at their national CORSA convention going on right now in Tacoma! And there are 5000 or so members of that organanization, so what you say there! :wave:

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
And as bad as the Caravan was, it was a huge deal for Chrysler and the entire auto industry. Just glad I never owned one.

Dain

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
And where's the Scrambler? It started the smaller pickup movement. Or the Nash Metropolatan? It started the economy smaller car movement. Or maybe even he Nash Healey. It started a sports car movement before Corvette. And where's the Packard V12s of the 1930s? Wow, talk about a smooth running quiet powerful engine. Or the Cadillac V16s? Exceptional styling for an engine. And these big engines were in magnificent coach built cars. Or the Auburn Boat-tail speedster? Talk about sporty! So many remarkable cars left off the list. Ever see a 53 Studebaker? Styling way ahead of it's time. Or a 49 Mercury. . .way more iconic than an old Chevy truck. Or maybe a Pierce Arrow Model 66 in the late teens. Big, really big, powerful car with a six cylinder with over 700 cubic inches. Or a 1930s Franklin air cooled V12? Very cool . . . just like they missed the Corvair. I'd go for a 57 Ford with a Paxton supercharger. Escalades and Caravans were just people carriers. . .bought a Caravan for the wife and kids. Nice that it was low enough to clear the garage door ( Ford Areostar and Chevy Astro with their rear wheel drive wouldn't clear it). Hard to put those cars in the same catagory as the previous cars mentioned. What about the Cord L29? It had front wheel drive in 1930. Or the American Underslung? For 1913 this was a low slung car (leaf springs on top of the frame). So many great inovative cars to choose from. We may not agree with what the author picked, but he did get the conversation going.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Wow. A lot of great cars you just listed. Love the boat tail Auburn.

Dain