• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

New member, new CJ8, and a seatbelt question!

Omega1300

Basic User
City
Minneapolis
State
MN
Hey all! So over the weekend I found and purchased a 1981 CJ8 scrambler. Posting a few rookie questions on Jeep Forum led someone to tell me about the great site here - so here I am! I love that there's an entire site dedicated to these great rigs!

Once I'm able, I'll post some pics up, but in the meantime, I'm hoping for a bit of help getting one pressing issue solved - my Jeep doesn't appear to have the female buckle connector for the drivers side seat belt.

Looking at the passenger side, I believe the female side is mounted into one of the seat bolts (but I'll need to verify) on the floor. Is this how the drivers side should mount as well?

Basically if anyone has pics of their 81 with factory lap belts, and could post a pic of the mounting points, I'd really appreciate it!

Secondly - where would be a good place to get a replacement? Quadratec? Also I know some people have upgraded and drilled holds in the roll bar for 3 point belts - is this difficult / safe to do?

Thanks!! Sorry for all the questions in my first post!!

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Welcome to the forum. Your female seat belts will mount on the floor in their own location, not on a seat mounting bolt. I recently changed to a later roll bar in my 81 for the 3-point seat belt upgrade. I also put a full hardtop on at the same time. If you have a full top, welding nuts into your roll bar should be easy. Within the last week I had nuts welded into a roll bar for my CJ7. After going to all the trouble to change the roll bar in the 81, I decided to go the easy way with the CJ7 and have them welded in. If you have the early half top, going to 3-point belts may not be so simple as the early and late roll bars and top had differences.

Omega1300

Basic User
City
Minneapolis
State
MN
Thank you for the welcome and reply Kim! Yes, I have half top, so the 3 point would be a bit more work. Right now I'd just like to get the lap belts up to spec for starters.

4miles

CJ-8 Member
City
Virginia Beach
State
VA
Basically if anyone has pics of their 81 with factory lap belts, and could post a pic of the mounting points, I'd really appreciate it!

I found a picture. Mine is an early 82 with lap belts, so I believe it should be the same. These are aftermarket belts though.

seatbelts.JPG

Omega1300

Basic User
City
Minneapolis
State
MN
Thank you 4miles - that at least gives me a place to look from the underside to see if I can find the factory mounting holes. Much appreciated!