• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Gr8top

Pman

Busted Knuckles
Lifetime Member
City
Mount Pleasant
State
SC
Ordered one of the Gr8Tops (advertised on the banner-I read that these folks also own this forum site) and finally had a chance to put it on the Scrambler this weekend. Not sure if any of you have one, but this is a very nice product. I bought it to keep the rain out of the bed until I can build yet another garage to store my overflow vehicles :crazy: Very heavy duty canvas with some nice well-thought out features (like the sewn in flaps to accommodate those with factory mirrors mounted on the doors). Lots of straps to secure the top in windy conditions.

The only downside to the top is that it is not designed to work with the wood rails. A slight bummer, as without the rails I can see it being a very snug, watertight fit. If I end up leaving it sitting for longer than a couple of days, I might just pull the rails off temporarily.

1BA07C5573A749D1A776274AD6A1457B_zpsycyp-1.jpg

7CB2C5618FCE4B79B85644FEA1F64BA6_zps6m1k-1.jpg

2424C8F146264971920F015A5164EA58_zpsx96t-1.jpg

chatas1

Basic User
City
Royal Oak
State
MI
I was looking at those the other day. They do look like a nice product. Judging by your photo, you appear to be a fan of the Jeeps… :) I had a couple wagoneer's over the years. I love those things.. Thanks for the review. Think it will handle a snow load? Just in case I get caught in a storm...

Pman

Busted Knuckles
Lifetime Member
City
Mount Pleasant
State
SC
I have no doubt it will work well with snow. The material is way beefier than sunbrella, and the inside has a waterproof membrane/layer. Without the rails on, it would probably be tight enough to bounce a quarter off of.

I love the Wagons, too! I've had five, but have held on to the one that's on the garage. It's been a good 'un!

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Nice, the wood rails are so rare anymore that it'd be hard to do one that was snug with and without them I imagine, there'd be loose extra material for most folks. :shrug:

Pman

Busted Knuckles
Lifetime Member
City
Mount Pleasant
State
SC
I agree BW. I think this will work fine for what I need it for. May take the rails off temporarily!

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
It wouldn't be too hard for an upholstery shop to add some "pockets" for the ends of the wood rails to fit in. Just judging by your pictures I think that would fix the problem. :shrug:

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I wish I could figure out if one for an LJ would fit my scrambler with the cage...I need one of these!

FLCJ8

Legacy Registered User
City
Palm Bay
State
FL
I wish I could figure out if one for an LJ would fit my scrambler with the cage...I need one of these!

I followed your build on here and don't remember you doing a "bob". I believe the LJ's tub is actually shorter than the 8.
I could check mine later if someone else doesn't confirm the dimensions.
There was talk one time of someone using a cover for a Grand Cherokee, I could check that dimension as well, however I believe it would be more of a full car cover style.

don87401

Original Owner
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
From the firewall/fender seam to the back, the Scrambler tub is 9" longer than the LJ give or take a tad.

I used a XJ cover on my Scrambler when I had the full soft top on it. Didn't fit tight but it covered the Jeep.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Thanks for the info, guys. I really need a rain cover like GR8's, not liking full covers. With my cage I think the LJ one would be the closest. Might have to do some surgery on it so it covers the tub.