• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Oil Pressure reads 20 PSI with ONLY IGN ON

Hood297

Basic User
City
Gulf Shores
State
AL
Hey Guys,
Been a while since I have posted here! Finally getting back around to doing more Jeep work since my busy season is over.

I come looking for wisdom in regard to Oil Pressure Gauges. I have done a few Searches and have come up with nothing.

First, 1983, With a 1982 360 from a wagoneer.

I swapped out both the Oil Sending unit and switch (which I know doesn't have much use on stock CJ guages), as well as the Gauge. Got everything hooked up, but as soon as I turn on the ignition (not start the engine) I read 20~psi, once I start it goes up from there, and will vary with RPM, So I know it is working.. Kinda.

I know the Gauge works with resistance, and the less resistance, the higher the reading. Less resistance is the last thing I would imagine a 31 year old jeep would have. If anything I would expect more as I had to Butt Splice in an additional 6" of wire to allow the stock purple wire to reach the sender without burning on the manifold.

Any Ideas? Both ends of the circuit are new... I'm kinda stumped. I have seen a few "Calibration" posts, but that was primarily for fuel/temp not oil.

Thanks in Advance!

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Unhook the sender and observe the gauge. If it goes to 0 with the key on there's an issue with the sender. If it stays at 20 there's either an issue with the gauge, or a short in the wiring, although usually a short will lead to a pegged gauge.

Hood297

Basic User
City
Gulf Shores
State
AL
unhooked sender, IGN on, gauge reads 0.

Out of box failure on the sender?

Oh and it really reads more like 12-14PSI when connected.

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
I'd say bad sending unit or wrong model maybe.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Bad sending unit. Try the one for the CJ.

Hood297

Basic User
City
Gulf Shores
State
AL
Bad sending unit. Try the one for the CJ.

It is the same part number/same part. Only different sender listed is for the 2.5 GM engine. Which this jeep did not have originally.

Guess its ordering another.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Might just try Napa or somewhere local if possible.