• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

What did you do with your Scrambler today? October 2014 version

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speedpin

Basic User
City
Fredericksburg
State
Va
It's October!
Well i finished up the fuel filler neck replacement. I searched the threads and have seen a few people having issues sourcing the "fuel" hoses. I went to several local shops looking for fuel hose, no luck or too $$$. Here are the hoses I used.

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/vent-hose-plastic-20-gallon-mts-cjvhcj820a.html

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/fill-hose-20-gallon-mts-cjfhcj820.html

9oWKxN.jpg

7egB6X.jpg

Previous hoses were pieced together and rotted. As you can see in pics

49n7CG.jpg

8yVwSC.jpg

PGMAIs.jpg

Note: My gas cap has been moved to the side corner directly behind passenger rear tire. Hoses were plenty long. And I have the short filler neck (cj5/7).
forum

Took 20 minutes. Hope this helps someone.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Interesting. I like the filler neck placement. Sometimes the back gets to busy with the filler, light, tire carrier etc.

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
Nice looking Scrambler! I believe that both hoses are supposed to go through that hole in the bed support. Were you not able to do that because of where you moved the filler neck to? One concern I have about that fill location is that seems to be a vulnerable spot that rocks and trees like to hit when off-road. Just something to be mindful of.

PS. Thanks for starting the new October thread!

Speedpin

Basic User
City
Fredericksburg
State
Va
Both hoses would fit through the hole but the filler hose had a slight uphill slant to the hole so I figure filling would be a pain. The "gas cap" location should be about an inch or two higher to be ideal slope.

Agree somewhat vulnerable, maybe some sheet metal is in order to keep "stuff" out /away.

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
Both hoses would fit through the hole but the filler hose had a slight uphill slant to the hole so I figure filling would be a pain. The "gas cap" location should be about an inch or two higher to be ideal slope.

That makes sense.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I picked up a couple of the ProComp front bumpers cheap on EBay. $170 for two shipped. I like using these as a base to build off of. Just threw them on stock for now. Feels good to have bumpers again. I'm drawing up plans for a tire carrier and a front hoop...

ytetaza2-1.jpg

jeta4yva-1.jpg

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
And...

Today was a good Scrambler day. In addition to the bumper install, I spent a bit of time working on Red. Seeing as it's going to be a while before I get to put some serious work into it, I started sorting through the spare parts- a pile to sell, and the rest I reinstalled temporarily. Even put on a set of tires that I got for free. LT235/75/15's on the stock 8" wheels. Looks good! Thought I had taken some pictures, but I guess I didn't. Ill take some tomorrow.

Pics as promised. Not a lot to see, but nice tires for free!

7epa4a4u-1.jpg

vahahe9e-1.jpg

Last edited:

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
I picked up a couple of the ProComp front bumpers cheap on EBay. $170 for two shipped. I like using these as a base to build off of. Just threw them on stock for now. Feels good to have bumpers again. I'm drawing up plans for a tire carrier and a front hoop...

jeta4yva-1.jpg

Randy, what tail lights are those? Are they DOT approved?

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
Yep? They are Savvy. Bit on the pricey side but way cool, and WAY bright. All LED, and even the backups are bright.

Interesting, they have been back ordered in both natural and black for a while now.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Yep? They are Savvy. Bit on the pricey side but way cool, and WAY bright. All LED, and even the backups are bright.

Interesting, they have been back ordered in both natural and black for a while now.

I saw. Wow. Pricey. And I was the black. I saw they were back ordered as well. Maybe I can find some used. But the priority list has other things above it.

I was wondering if I could get the jerk who rearended me to buy these as replacements rather than the stock. At that price I can't see it.

Chipster1990

Back in the game!!
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Birmingham
State
AL
Let the wife drive the Scram to the store!!

40d0a9ed8f559251b7844e7243a7fadf-1.jpg

Spieg

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Aurora
State
CO
Finally did the 6-bolt lockout conversion/upgrade. The stock 5-bolt lockout finally self destructed. Installed new bearings and seals in the hubs and spindles as well some new Mile Marker lockouts.

rstickley

SOA Member
Gold Member
SOA Member
City
Carencro
State
La
Finally some nice, low humidity weather. Put the top down and dove to girfriend's parents house for a steak dinner. First time on interstate with new wheels. Went from 15x10 to 15x8. Might be my imagination but I think it handles better.

image.jpg

Speedpin

Basic User
City
Fredericksburg
State
Va
t case shifter rattle

I am sure others know the familiar sound of the tcase shifter rattling as you drive down the road. Just the slop in the linkage pins. Threw an old throttle return spring on it last night. Hooked it on shifter and seat bracket. Minimal tension but enough. Nice and quiet.
forum

Speedpin

Basic User
City
Fredericksburg
State
Va
Well finaly got the grinder and welder out. Just finished up relocating lower shock mounts to axle tubes. They were on the ubolt plate wich killed my up travel on the old shocks. Picked up a gently used set of bilstien 5150 cross flow shocks. Haven't had the scrambler out yet but will report back with first impressions of ride quality.
YdNw3b.jpg

nyTpmD.jpg

QqpStT.jpg

3teXvS.jpg

DaveColborn

Basic User
City
Youngstown
State
OH
Speedpin. Thanks for the pics of where the gas filler/return are supposed to mount. My whole bed was gone including the supports. I replaced that one with 2 x 4 steel, and the filler goes low under it. I suspected it went through the support, but now I know.

DaveColborn

Basic User
City
Youngstown
State
OH
http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag236/dave162/temptag_zps60ce5bf4.jpg

Big decision today was where to staple the temp tag so I can road test this beast in a day or two...

http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag236/dave162/temptag_zps60ce5bf4.jpg

Rebuilt the carb (having never rebuilt one). Other than having it run the first day, and not run the next day, it went well. A few minor adjustments (float, accelerator pump, etc) and it was back in the ballgame. I don't know if it's my imagination, but it smells better running than it did before. I think it's a direct reflection of the removal of the stink bug....

DaveColborn

Basic User
City
Youngstown
State
OH
Pics in message...

Big decision today was where to staple the temp tag so I can road test this beast in a day or two...

Rebuilt the carb (having never rebuilt one). Other than having it run the first day, and not run the next day, it went well. A few minor adjustments (float, accelerator pump, etc) and it was back in the ballgame. I don't know if it's my imagination, but it smells better running than it did before. I think it's a direct reflection of the removal of the stink bug....

Status
Not open for further replies.