• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Fuel Tank Sending Unit

lascrambler

lascrambler
City
Pagosa Springs
State
CO
I'm not sure if this is the correct location for this post, and I did a search for sending unit and nothing came up. With that said, what is the best replacement sending unit for a 20 gal tank. I got an OMIX-ADA 5357373L from Morris 4x4 and it looks cheeply made, all the internals are exposed. Also, the tube orientation is different, which is somewhat better than the one I pulled out. On the unit I pulled out the tubes pointed to the right when installed, on the new one is looks like they will face forward. The fuel lines run on the left side of the vehicle, so the original hoses made a 180deg turn. I can't find replacement hoses for the supply and return that have this bend so I will have to replace these with stock fuel hose. The closer the tubes are to the 10 o'clock position the beter, and it looks like I can get there with the new sending unit. Which begs another question. how much leeway do I have with clocking the sending unit? Is there a particular location the float has to go?

From the pictures I see on Google the Crown Automotive J532090 looks most like the one I pulled out. Looking for some advise from anyone who has done this before. Also is it a bad idea to reuse the strainer? I know they are not that expensive, but I forgot to order it and didn't know if it was worth the delay to get a new one.

One other thing comes to mind. Rollover check valves. Could not find replacements on Google search and though I'm not that concern about the valves themselves, I am concerned about their seals leaking as I have now distrubed them a bit removing the tank. Any suggestions?

lascrambler

lascrambler
City
Pagosa Springs
State
CO
Getting answers to my own questions as I work through this. First, the indexing is contolled by tabs on the sending unit that fit into slots in the hole in the tank so it will only fit one way. The other thing I've discovered is that the OMIX-ADA sending unit doesn't fit. First the suction pipe is too long, and second the riser tubes are too short. The riser pipes have to be high enough to stick up above the top of the tank, and allow room for the nut to be installed. On the original unit these pipe stick up about an inch or so above the plate or cap that seals against the top of the tank. On the OMIX these tube are much lower. I will try to post some pictures tomorrow, ran out of time today because I had to get to work. I ordered the Crown Automotive part today, hopefully this will fit correctly and I can get the tank back together.

Doc Savage

Basic User
City
Greenville
State
TX
I don't have the part numbers or make of the ones I tried/used. Think they were both Crown but may be mistaken. Have to look up receipts. I actually got the 15 gallon one first not realizing I had a 20 gal tank. It fit in, but the tubes were too short for the locking ring to fit. With the filter on the end of the pickup, I was able to get it to go to the bottom of the tank. I ended up ordering a 20 gallon unit. It fit like a charm. I do believe the tubes were rotated about 90 degrees from what the original ones were, but there was plenty of room for the hoses to be rerouted to fit. The one thing I ran into with the 20 gal unit was it didn't come with the gasket or filter. I ended up stealing them off the 15 gal unit I got at first. I'll look to see if I can find part numbers for what I used.

lascrambler

lascrambler
City
Pagosa Springs
State
CO
All that sounds familiar, even down to the 15 gal tank sending unit. Yea and I'm steeling the parts off it for the new 20 gal unit as well. When I finally get the correct one. I will post pictures tomorrow to better illustrate the problem I'm having.

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
New check valves and seals can still be purchased through the dealer. I don't have the part numbers right now but I will if I can find them.

lascrambler

lascrambler
City
Pagosa Springs
State
CO
Read a post on a CJ7 forum that said YJ check valves and grommets will work. Ordered them from Morris 4x4. Found the sending unit kit at Quadratec.

I update when I get the Crown Automotive unit in to let you all know if it worked.

I have pics comparing the OMIX-ADA sending unit compared to the one I took out, they are very different, but files are too large to upload here and I don't know how else to make them available.

This may work>>>

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2MU_0K7SQwbNXB6LVpSam5NdDA/view?usp=sharing

lascrambler

lascrambler
City
Pagosa Springs
State
CO
Well it's all back together. The kit from Quadratec did the trick. It's a complete kit (sending unit, o-ring, filter, and nut) part number is 5362090K.
Sending unit.JPG

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    848.7 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
You'll be wishing you had a brass float after the plastic float fills with fuel in 6 months.

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
City
south central
State
AK
No problems with my plastic float, and it's been over three years. I'm pretty sure the one that I swapped into my 15 gallon tank in 1998 was a plastic float too, and it worked through 2008 when I took that Jeep apart.