• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Photo shoot fee? For a commercial

Manhattan

Legacy Registered User
City
Atlanta
State
GA
Anyone been asked to lend/rent their CJ for a commercial, TV show, etc.? A company asked me today if I'd be interested in letting them use my 8 for a spot their shooting - they'd need it for two days. Unless it's insane money, I'll likely decline. Anyone have any idea what the going rate for this kind of gig is?

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
There was a movie shoot in DC last year and someone I know was offered $250 per day but was not even allowed on set to supervise. He turned it down. Not sure if that is the going rate or not.

BRKLYNZ28

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
BROOKLYN
State
NY
You would let people touch your jeep!!!.. .. Let's think this over.. If its a playboy shoot.free..

Sent from my SPH-L900

Manhattan

Legacy Registered User
City
Atlanta
State
GA
I really think it'd have to be north of $1,000 with caveats, i.e. I am on set, I at least watch the Jeep being moved, I hold the keys after they wrap for the day, etc. I'm sure they'll decline my conditions... which is fine. There have to be tons of Jeeps out there whose owners wouldn't be as picky.

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
I personally think it would be pretty cool to have my Jeep in a commercial or tv show/movie. I'd at least see what they are offering for payment and what they allow or don't allow.

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
At least $5k, $2500 a day.

Acting talent, photographer, audio folks, directors, writers, your jeep is going to be a drop in the bucket comparatively. Look at it as an actor and calculate based on hourly rates from there.

:popcorn: at least on what they offer.

Doc Savage

Basic User
City
Greenville
State
TX
When I did commercial photography years ago, and I'm pretty sure this hasn't changed much, it depends. What is the spot for is the first question. Local one time spot, national ad campaign, it really varies. I've used talent (for the same shoot) where we had "volunteers" who were paid nothing but some copies and were happy, while the ad agency brought in paid talent from 2 hours away (and they were the worst ones to work with). Lots of small time operations are on limited budgets, so if it is local don't expect much more than the satisfaction of seeing your jeep in print/tv. Now it's been almost 20 years since I did any commercial work, but my rate as a photographer was $600 per day then (about middle of the road around here). Doubt a prop or talent would get as much as the photographer. Now I haven't kept track of where the rates are now. I'd guess 2-3 times that now.

Bad Karma

Captain Sarcasm
BENEFACTOR
Lifetime Member
City
Cobourg, Ontario, Cana
State
da
I have heard horror stories about what production people do to and with rented vehicles for shoots. Be VERY careful and read the fine print of the contract.

Manhattan

Legacy Registered User
City
Atlanta
State
GA
Heard the same thing. My house was scouted by Tyler Perry's crew for an episode of House of Pain (I think). I was warned by a buddy in the biz to RUN! He said "Picture 18-wheelers and RVs bumper to bumper in both directions for 1/4 mile... scaffolding, light rigs, cranes (for lights), boom trucks... cables and tracks on your lawn (camera rigs)" He said your lawn will look like little league football field after a weekend of games. I declined.

That's why I'd have to be there, at least observing the Jeep. And, I really don't think I could spare 2 days of my time for $250.

Manhattan

Legacy Registered User
City
Atlanta
State
GA
Where did the "Edit" button go? ^that^ post is full of typos... can't fix them.

DirtyB

Crazy Cajun
Lifetime Member
City
Port Allen
State
LA
My friend has a really nicely restored Ford Bronco. He gets a call about once a year (he's on some list) or so to show up for a movie. They don't pay him anything. He just gets in it and drives around the same block about 50 times. I don't think they even give him gas money. He just thinks its cool and he gets to meet up with all of the people who cars from that era.

Bugman

The Rubicon, my backyard
City
Pollock Pines
State
CA
Back in The early 80's I was asked if they could use my FSJ in a movie about D.B. Cooper. They used it for about a week and paid $250 a day. I was allowed to be on set but it got kind of boring sitting around all day while the Jeep just sat there. As far as I can tell all the shots of the Jeep finally ended up on the cutting room floor. No wonder these movies cost so much to make.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
I have several of mine listed with a company in NYC and have had job offers that I couldn't attend or wasn't practical for distance and time off work but the price ranged from 250-500 per day. A couple of them were print shoots for catalogs using FSJs. I am eager to do one of those I think it would be cool to see.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Im with ya and i think it would be really cool. I only declined when it wouldn't fit in my schedule. Oh and the time they wanted the 78 wagoneer on a movie set in queens. In February. :crazy:

opelgtboy

Legacy Registered User
City
Glassboro
State
NJ
A friend of mine gets calls all the time in Massachusetts when they film 70's movies. He has an Opel GT. His car was in a photo shoot with Penelope Cruz.

Penelope-Cruz-Mango-1280x960-Wallpaper-002.jpg

Karl

YJ-8

Basic User
City
Austin
State
TX
It sounds good but be careful. Local Car Rumor: Here in Austin during the filming of Dazed and Confused a few scenes required sitting on cars and some minor damage occurred. On a SS Chevelle, Super Duty TA or GTO, you can guess the owners would not be happy. Make sure you know what they are doing.

Yj-8