• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Fender Flares

KINETIC

Legacy Registered User
City
Palmer
State
AK
I will be needing to build some fender flares here pretty soon and have been wondering what most of you guys with larger tires are running. I would like to build them out of steel or aluminum and have them bolt on, also have been thinking of using them as an extra spot for storage like the picture below. Thoughts, pics, ideas. Thanks.

Eric

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 167

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
That is one cool Commando!

I purchased Metalcloak flares for mine, one of the few items I didn't build myself. But I love the way they look and fit, and they're somewhat quick release too.

Metalcloak has Scrambler specific rears available, and they are coming out with an 8" front for the full-width guys.

jbeemer

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Conklin
State
MI
I've been having this debate myself................

I'll be watching this thread

I like the idea of metalcloak. They have a inner fender, Removable, 8"????? I'm going full width, Are they going to do a rear to match???

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
They've got a 6" for the rear. I currently have the 6" front and rear, I wish I'd gone with the 4" rear because the rear axle is usually narrower than the front. I'm waiting for their free shipping sale and I'm going to order a set of the 4" rears. Will probably have my 6" up for sale then.

AK-RWC

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
City
south central
State
AK
I will be needing to build some fender flares here pretty soon and have been wondering what most of you guys with larger tires are running. I would like to build them out of steel or aluminum and have them bolt on, also have been thinking of using them as an extra spot for storage like the picture below. Thoughts, pics, ideas. Thanks.

Eric

That rig is bad@$$! Is it up here?

As for solid metal flares, take a look at these:
http://anchorage.craigslist.org/cto/4717811846.html
I'm pretty sure she just used a generic trailer fender and welded them to her unibody/door/fender. With some tabs or some plate, you could make them bolt on, like the Rusty's:
http://www.rustysoffroad.com/rustys-steel-fender-flares-xj.html

I'm running the Xenon tube-style YJ poly flares. I only have them secured with three or four bolts so I don't put a tremendous amount of weight on them much more than a coffee cup or tools or balancing groceries, but if they were secured all the way around I bet I could stand on them. The problem is that because they're YJ flares, they don't match the CJ-8 contour correctly on the inside, and so there aren't actually many places to secure them properly.

KINETIC

Legacy Registered User
City
Palmer
State
AK
AK-RWC

That rig is in the lower 48 and was for sale last year. I dig it and the ammo cans for storage. I like the idea of using a trailer fender and fabbing something with that.

Randy,
Let me know if yours come available. I wouldn't mind going that route either just for simplicity as this project has been ongoing for the last few years and I am ready to be finished and wheeling it!

don87401

Original Owner
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
Here is some I built for the rear. Might give you an idea on one way to build them.

DSC03555.JPG DSC03557.JPG

DSC03494.JPG DSC03493.JPG

DSC03496.JPG DSC03495.JPG

There are more pictures in the link in the sig below. (below the attached image, don't know how I did that and haven't figured out how to delete the image)

Attachments

• DSC03493.JPG
    DSC03493.JPG
    7 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

jbeemer

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Conklin
State
MI
I'm thinking I may have to build some...................................out of aluminum

The Metalcloaks are HEAVY. two front fenders, two rear mounts, 4 6" flares = 312lbs !!!! :eek:

That's 10% of the total Jeep weight. :confused:

Don87401, I was thinking along the same lines as you did, but aluminum

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I'm thinking I may have to build some...................................out of aluminum

The Metalcloaks are HEAVY. two front fenders, two rear mounts, 4 6" flares = 312lbs !!!! :eek:

That's 10% of the total Jeep weight. :confused:

Don87401, I was thinking along the same lines as you did, but aluminum

When I started my build, I drove it over the truck scales. Read 2850 lbs and I thought that was pretty light. After I got to the point I'm at now, the same truck scale gives me a 4200 lb reading. My rockers and my rear corners will be aluminum.

Kinetic- I'll let you know on the rear flares. I have them modified to mount without using the Metalcloak plate. I'm going to get the 4", as soon as the free shipping comes around. Saves $50 IIRC. Hopefully shipping mine to AK isn't a deal killer...

KINETIC

Legacy Registered User
City
Palmer
State
AK
Randy,
I bet shipping would be $$$. I wonder if Metal Cloak will offer their free shipping to AK?

Don,
Your fenders look exactly like what I want to do. Thanks for the pics.

Eric