• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

This is what we're up against - please consider supporting CJ-8.com

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Ok folks, some of you may be sick to death of me talking about the rules around here or asking for people to think about stepping up to support the forum through a paid membership (link) for a few bucks (way less than a tank of gas) a month.

Well, here's the latest installment and I'll share a big part of why we do some of what we do. So if you're sick of hearing about this from me and actually clicked through to this post, then quit reading now. :wave:

There's a company out there that has bought up/is buying up automotive forums left and right, I will leave their name out of this and if you know it, please follow my lead please and do the same if you reply. They have tried to buy this forum multiple times. They have deep pockets.

For those of you who are Pirate forum members like me and get their email newsletter (which is also recycled, more or less, for a number of their other forums) you got this link in the latest one. It illustrates what the company is doing with these forums they are buying. Everything they buy is left up and running (most often without much of/any of the original admin crew) and kept up to date as far as forum software goes, but they jack the advertising rates through the roof (pushing out small companies on cost alone, I know from first-hand experience) because the forum is now part of their "network" and all they do is drive traffic back to their mothership general automotive blog:

http://www.autoguide.com/manufacturer/jeep/2015-jeep-wrangler-unlimited-review-4193.html

Read this "review" and laugh with me. It's comical, seriously LOL funny. And it came from a PIRATE newsletter.

However, what this company knows is that the simple link being in the email will cause a bunch of clicks, which ups their traffic, which allows them to sell more ads, which allows them to jack their ad rates. (And no, I don't care that if folks here click through on the link it ups traffic, bigger picture point being made :) )

When this kind of thing goes on, what you end up with is a Jeep forum email "sponsored by Toyota". Seriously, it just happened last week.

Now, I'm a capitalist as much as anyone else, so good on them for finding a way to make a ton of money. BUT it makes me physically ill to think about what's been done to one of the most hardcore (and most rude, insulting, etc. but you can't argue the amount of information they have there) 4x4 forums on the internet. It's now just a glorified billboard being used by a company that could care less about that forum, it's content or it's members outside of keeping the lights on so they can continue to leech off of it. They clearly don't care about tailoring the articles they chose for the forum newsletter to the audience.

Matt and I care too damn much about this place to let that happen and we refuse to believe their promises of what will stay if they take over. If you visit those overtaken sites as an unpaid member now, you know how much advertising is shoved at you. They KNOW that new Jeep people will find out about those forums, know they have a ton of info to lure them in, and know that they'll force people into paid memberships if they ratchet up the annoyance factor. After all, there's thousands of active members and just look at all these subforums packed with stuff I want to know. :drool:

:banghead:

Matt and I also don't believe in annoy-ware advertising tactics and never have. So we made the free memberships WAY better than other forums out there and simply reserved some specific things for paid members and then offered a number of options for folks to help support the forum.

So here's my plea (if anyone's still reading): if you find this place helpful, I'd ask you to check out the options to help support the forum. We're fighting an ongoing battle against crap like these companies (and the above is just one example that hit my inbox today).

Think about the cost per month of ANY of these options and then think about how much time you spend here, knowledge you've gained, friends you've made, events you've attended, etc. on account of this place and see if there's enough value to you to want to help.

https://www.cj-8.com/account/upgrades

If you've already stepped up THANK YOU. Sincerely and from the bottom of my heart. I may not be on here as much as I have in the past, but that doesn't mean I care ANY less about this place or the members. THAT'S why we work to enforce the rules and help to see that this place stays as spam-free, as great, and as respectful as it is, because WE LOVE SCRAMBLERS and CJ-8.COM. Period. End of sentence.

Last edited:

Flatie46

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
City
Russllville
State
TN
I was on the free ticket here for a while, kinda tryn it out an all. Over time I have learned so much and several members have went out of their way to help me. Not to mention all the hard to find parts fellow forum members have either sold me at a really fair price or less. Sometimes the price doesn't even matter if they don't make it anymore. All I can say is thanks for all the help, I've saved the membership fee many times over.
Thanks so much to everyone.

TexasAg77

S.O.A. Charter Member
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Cleveland
State
TN
Been on here a loooong time. Don't actually get on here much, but enjoy it when I do and I did the lifetime deal. As far as I am concerned, this is a great site for the '8 and general jeep knowledge without all the crap most sites tolerate. If you feel the same way, step up.

Matt and Eric have spent tons of time keeping this going with no real gain, other than knowing Scrambler folks have a common place to meet and help each other out.

For the majority of us, a CJ-8 is a hobby vehicle, so if can afford a JustEmptyEveryPocket, then step up...

[/backing away from the soapbox]

gazzo

AMC Jeep nutjob
Lifetime Member
City
Fremantle
State
WA
I'm in. Should have done it sooner. Here I am blabbing on about not even a CJ8 and I don't get fried by you guys. RESPECT!! I'll take care of business this morning. Thanks for doing what you do.

Edit: DONE!

Last edited:

SHLTR2

Island Jeeper
Lifetime Member
City
Drummond Island
State
MI
This is a great forum and the admins do a wonderful job. It is worth a lot to have a resource like this available that is so focused on what we like - upgrade me please to a Lifetime membership. Money sent.

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA
Well said Eric. We need to keep this place going. As is. I auto renew and have paid more than a lifetime membership already (probably or close to it by now). I will probably switch it up next time. The knowledge more than pays for it.

onesourcemike

CJ-8 Member
Gold Member
City
Wilmington
State
NC
Well said Eric. We need to keep this place going. As is. I auto renew and have paid more than a lifetime membership already (probably or close to it by now). I will probably switch it up next time. The knowledge more than pays for it.
:thumbsup:

Craner8

CJ-8 Member
Silver Member
City
Orlando
State
FL
I signed up! Been here awhile, appreciate the forum, the members, the advice and the moderators. Shame on me for not doing it sooner. As someone said, the advice alone is worth the annual dues.That kind of put it in perspective for me. And I appreciate the lack of pop-ups you see on other forums. Very well done CJ-8.com!

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
Thanks fellas and I appreciate humoring me in my rant. I rarely ever visit Pirate, but I completely respect what they built there and the work and money it took to build it and seeing this happen to it just got my blood boiling, much less that complete joke of a review. I tried to wait a bit before I posted about it, but still probably should have cooled down some more. :shrug:

Very much appreciate the support.

I should have also mentioned Josh/Polarfire's support lately when he stepped up as a moderator to help me out. I know he's of exactly the same mind as Matt and I and he's in it for the long haul with us (whether he knows it or not ;) ) So thanks to you Josh! :cheers:

Chipster1990

Back in the game!!
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Birmingham
State
AL
Love this place and the people on it. Heck, I might just get a second lifetime membership!!

Polarfire

Jeep Aficionado
Lifetime Member
City
Columbia
State
MO
You're very welcome BW and Matt. I'm glad to do it and echo all the sentiment that has been said. Many once great Jeep/auto forums have fallen and I sure don't want to see this one go that route! Thanks to everyone who has supported us!

:cheers:

rustycrawler

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Reston
State
VA
This thread is worthless without pics of a woman in a bikini top holding the replacement booster.

:needpic:

bigwalton

Alaskan Postal nutjob
FORUM MANAGER
SOA Member
City
Dexter
State
MI
You're on your own there fellas. Anyone paying attention to the Jeep magazines should be able to figure it out.

revho

$9.00 vanilla malt
Lifetime Member
City
beaverdam
State
MI
This thread is worthless without pics of a woman in a bikini top holding the replacement booster.

:needpic:

There is plenty of that stuff on the web. It is refreshing that you can come to a place like this and not see it. Family friendly as well as the wheeling events.

We truly have the best group of people on the web here.

Randyzzz

Blown Budget
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Redmond
State
OR
I'll repeat what every one else has said. This place is family to me.

There was a point years back when my Scrambler had been sitting with a blown head gasket, and my Jeepster needed a valve job. I had to decide if I should keep the Scrambler or the Jeepster. It's the family here that swayed me to keeping the Scrambler. Obviously the correct decision!