• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Hard top/tub measurements

Project101

Basic User
City
Lemon
State
Ca
Hello my name is paul I recently built and stretched my 91 jeep yj to match a scrambler, my issue here is I am unable to find a used hard for sale to test out. So I'm looking for measurements for scrambler tub dimensions or hard top , length width. I really don't want to buy a brand new top (rallytops) and not have it fit. Anything would be great thanks guys

don87401

Original Owner
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
Draw us a picture of the dimensions you want some one will get them for you. Short top or full top?

Project101

Basic User
City
Lemon
State
Ca
Im looking for a hard top, but I'm having trouble uploading photos of what I would like measurements of from my iPad. I can email the photos though if that will work

Project101

Basic User
City
Lemon
State
Ca
I have photos of what I could use for measurements but my only problem is I need to e mail them. I'm am unable to convert my pics off my Ipad. If I could get one of you guys to take so measurmnts that would be great. I'll email the pics to who ever can help. Thanks

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Hi Paul,
If you are going to use a half hardtop, then you might as well make the 2 hour trip to Compton (Bervely Hills area) and pick one up from Albert. He advertises in the LA Craigslist constantly. He asks $695 for half hardtops and he has a few. Ten years ago they were $400. Inflation. I picked out the best bulkhead he had back then for $200. I'm sure they are more now, but he will have them. If you are going for the full hardtop, go for the dimensions. Maybe even check out a nearby Scrambler for sale with your tape measure.

Project101

Basic User
City
Lemon
State
Ca
Yeah he's still posting the half hard tops. Every time I look on craiglist their they are.
I am interested in the full hardtop. As soon as I can find a scrambler to measure off of or can get someone to measure theirs I'll be good to.
If anybody is willing to take a tape measure to their jeep let me know and I'll email pics of what I need measurements off. Thanks guys keep it coming

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Where to top sits on the body, from the back of the door opening area to the joint of the back corner panel is 64 3/4 inches. This is the outside surface. Don't look at anything other than the very outermost surface along the top of the side panel. If you get that dimension right, everything else should fall into place.

Project101

Basic User
City
Lemon
State
Ca
Thanks , I got off work late tonight, I'll measure it tomorrow morn and lets hope it's on the money.
So I'm measuring from the back side of the door where it meets the tub( b pillar ish) to the body seam that's before the tub rounds to the tail gate.

Kim Dawson

CJ-8 Member
City
Molalla
State
Or
Got the pics on my phone. Nice work. You held the tape where I measured and it looks right on. The width of the tub is the same as a CJ7 or YJ Wrangler. When you find a full hardtop, it should fit fine. If you can (I can't) post some pictures on the forum so everyone can see your awesome project. Very hard to see on the little tiny phone screen.

YJ-8

Basic User
City
Austin
State
TX
It is hard to get an accurate measurement from the Jeep door opening, IMO a better way to measure is from the tub seam where the front fenders /hood meet the tub, i.e. about 12" in front of the windshield and door openings. From this seam to the farthest rear opening is 117 3/16". You keep the body square and build to this and you will be A-OK.

To get to 117 and 3/16" this is approx a 10" stretch in front of the wheel well (wheelbase) and about 14" behind the wheel well or there about...

After doing what you are attempting I realize a hard top is difficult to move on and off for taking measurements, a easier way would be to get ahold of a set of bestop soft top rails and use them for alignment on each side.

As for the full length hard top... I looked for a while, could not find a good one for under $1,000 and once you figure travel-- Just buy a new one for an extra $700, then you do not mess with 20+ year old fiberglass, missing hardware, the wrong color...

YJ-8

Basic User
City
Austin
State
TX
To clarify The 117 and 3/16 is from the front tub seam to the rear of the tub. To get an accurate measurement I place a straight edge across the rear of the tub above the tail lights and let it stick out even with the side of the tub.

Project101

Basic User
City
Lemon
State
Ca
Sorry guys I have been in a no internet area the past few days, thanks for all the info After comparing photos/measurment with Dawson I'm am confident that my length is right on. When originally stretching I used the the seam u are talking about where the the tub meets the front fender to the rear of the tub( I got the measurement off of aqualu aluminum tub builder) and I got that within a 1/16 but wanted to verify before buying a top . IF u have the measurement of that seam (front fender/ tub to the rear seam just before the bed rail curves that would set it in stone. As well as center to cent bed rails once up front of tub and once to the rear. I Don't think their would be anything left to feel suspect about. Thanks guys
And I'll keep trying to get pics up I'm not the best at it
Have good weekend

YJ-8

Basic User
City
Austin
State
TX
Cool project, it looks like you added all 24" of length between the wheels, vs. 10" before and 14" after on a standard CJ-8.

I may be missing something concerning your question on the width, It is the standard CJ/YJ width, nothings changed, just measure your existing tub, as shown in multiple pictures

Project101

Basic User
City
Lemon
State
Ca
Yeah I think I may have messed it up a bit . It's .25 inch wider at the rear of the tub😑 I was just wanting to verify the actual width of the tub from center bed rail to center bed rail once near the front and once near the rear. I used a giant square to true it when building it. And lot of measuring. If I could get those measurements that would be great. Thanks for the response .
Btw I may be in a no internet area till Friday so If it take me awhile to respond