• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Auto transport recommendations?

Breal

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Jackson
State
WY
Moving from Texas to Wyoming and need auto transport service recommendations. I'm not too concerned with cost, within reason of course, as majority of moving expenses are being covered by company. My preference would be for an enclosed trailer. Any recommendations of who to use or who not to use?

tiber

Basic User
City
Lake St. Louis
State
MO
Hey there -

I'll chime in... jerseyjeeps gave me a good recommendation earlier this year when I moved... Nationwide Auto Transport. Call 877-278-3135 and talk to Laki x723.
Laki was great to deal with and found me a fair price for enclosed transit (that my company also paid for thankfully)... but a long back-story worth mentioning.

NOTE - ultimately my Scrambler got to my new house in un-molested fashion.

The guys that showed up to move my Scrambler were... how do I put this... of Eastern European descent that spoke so-so English and smoked like chimneys. No big deal right? There were 3 of them roughly 25yrs old piled into a dual-cab dually diesel truck pulling a shiny new 2-spot car hauler.

It's worth noting before I go further that I was time-crunched at this point, with no real alternatives available as the Scrambler was the last thing out of my old house... I was COMMITTED to using these guys or facing some serious logistical nightmares with the rest of the move.

So these guys already have the 2 spots in the trailer occupied... one car and a big 1100 motorcycle. No problem they say... they'll just put the bike in the back of the truck!
So one of the guys unhooks the straps on the bike in the trailer... loses control of the bike and proceeds to drop it.

There are pieces of fairing on the floor. They get the bike picked up, roll it out, start it up... guy does a WHEELIE on it down my street... comes back and stops near the bed of the truck. I'm in disbelief at this point.

Then these 3 guys start trying to wrestle this bike up into the bed of the truck... with no ramp. Literally trying to pick the thing up... and having a hard time of it. I realize if I don't step in they're going to drop the thing... with it probably landing on the guy in back.
So I help these guys wrestle the bike into the truck bed... scraping the fairing along the bottom as it goes... all the while knowing this bike owner is having a very bad day.

Needless to say I took pictures of EVERYTHING on my Scrambler... odometer, fenders, tires, seats, mirrors, every inch. I made sure these guys witnessed me taking the pictures. I made Laki aware of everything that transpired, and he told me to call with anything remotely questionable on the other end of the shipment, and that it would be handled.

My wife will happily tell anyone I was almost moved to tears when my baby came out of that trailer at the new house in the same shape I last saw it. After the guys took the Scrambler out of the trailer, their main interest was getting any information I had on where the best nightclubs were nearby.

So with that now in mind... you have yourself a wonderful moving experience! I'm sure yours will be a smoother one than that. :crazy::wave:

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
I used Laki to move the postal the yellow 5 and the silver Sportside within last couple months and each time no issues but all three companies were Russian or as you say other Eastern European countries. Other than the broken English part each time they handled my rigs with care

Breal

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Jackson
State
WY
Thank you for the recommendation and the great story. Hopefully mine will go a little smoother. Any other recommendations are appreciated as I have to submit 3 bids to get payment approval from my company.

don87401

Original Owner
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
Tell the moving company for the rest of your stuff you need to take a car, they put them in moving vans all the time.

Breal

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Jackson
State
WY
So, I ended up calling Nationwide Auto Transport directly and setting up a driver through them that had an enclosed trailer. I wanted to post the info of the folks that ended up transporting my Scrambler over 1,300 miles because from the moment I met them I felt completely comfortable leaving my Scrambler with them and knew that it would make it safely. They are a middle aged couple Jim(driver) and Heidi(dispatch and co-pilot) and they were super easy to work with. If you call Jim and Heidi directly in the future you can save about $250 in a referral/broker fee that you would have to pay Nationwide for if you went through Nationwide. Heidi said with about 2-3 weeks lead time they can make just about anything work in the lower 48 states. Feel free to call Heidi at (651)270-9499, I promise you wont be disappointed.

jerseyjeeps

Crazy about AMC Jeeps
Lifetime Member
City
Landing
State
NJ
Great news. :thumbsup: Curious what size was their enclosed trailer. Could they do more than one jeep at a time ?

Breal

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Jackson
State
WY
Great news. :thumbsup: Curious what size was their enclosed trailer. Could they do more than one jeep at a time ?

Yup, they had a hot rod, my scrambler and a new ford f150 with a room to spare so they could definitely do at least three scramblers and likely four. Just guessing on the four count but it wouldn't surprise me.

I know Heidi would be happy to answer any questions anyone may have.

GreatCJ8

Charter Member
Gold Member
City
Lynchburg
State
VA
Yup, they had a hot rod, my scrambler and a new ford f150 with a room to spare so they could definitely do at least three scramblers and likely four. Just guessing on the four count but it wouldn't surprise me.

I know Heidi would be happy to answer any questions anyone may have.
Just called Heidi & they don't do East coast anymore But is sending me info on recommendations... 👍

mwqpd11

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
City
Coopersburg
State
PA
Used Montway 2 times. Seemed fair. Have a Jeep coming today from Nevada