• Notice for iPhone users: DO NOT use the image size reduction option when uploading photos to the forum. This causes portrait images to post as landscape. We have added a warning to the image insert pop-up as well.

Anyone ever have any luck tracking down vehicle you previously owned?

mxracer919

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
SOA Member
City
miami
State
ok
It's not a scrambler, but looking for some help! Not really sure where to start, went by the tag office and they were unable to help. I'm wanting to track down the jeep that my dad had when I was growing up, 1982-83? Silver cj7 Laredo. I have had him check his paperwork and he had been unable to find any vin info on the jeep. He did somewhat remember the tag number. He sold it in 1989. There seems to be a few databases on the net for tags but don't want to piss money away. I did try running a carfax via the tag number he remembered and it brought up nothing, but Oklahoma has changed plates twice since 89. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

don87401

Original Owner
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Farmington
State
NM
Did he buy it new? If you know the dealer he bought it from or serviced it they may have some archived records of purchase/service that my get you a vin.

mxracer919

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
SOA Member
City
miami
State
ok
No he did not. Bought it when it was about a year old off the original owner.

mysunnshine

Legacy Registered User
City
Phoenix
State
AZ
Check with the insurance company that he had for the vin. Then you can search that.

AdamH

Scrambler Junkie
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Mt Holly
State
NC
My LJ Rubicon...

Bought new in 2006 and then sold in late 2007 via Ebay to a guy about 4 hours from me. 5 years later I wanted it back. Fortunately I still had the bill of sale with his name and contact info. Called him up and bought it a week later. He only put 18k miles on it in 5 years and no damage or changes to it.

In your case, that VIN will be key.

mxracer919

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
SOA Member
City
miami
State
ok
Have some hope on finding the VIN. My friend has done some title 42's for me, her brother in law owns an insurance agency here in Miami. His company just bought the agency that my dad had the jeep insured at. They said there were older files, they were going to look for my dads info in them!

mxracer919

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
SOA Member
City
miami
State
ok

Here's my boy and I in front of one of the scramblers, bought this one off deforg. Just sent it down the road the other day with the new owner. Bought it with intentions to keep but felt like it was too nice to drive. My boy will probably be telling me I shouldnt have sold it here in a couple of years, about how he wanted it. LOL!

gr8dain

Old and Slow
BENEFACTOR
Gold Member
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Ashburn
State
VA

Here's my boy and I in front of one of the scramblers, bought this one off deforg. Just sent it down the road the other day with the new owner. Bought it with intentions to keep but felt like it was too nice to drive. My boy will probably be telling me I shouldnt have sold it here in a couple of years, about how he wanted it. LOL!

Wow. That does look nice and clean!

mxracer919

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
SOA Member
City
miami
State
ok

Sharp CJ; however, you may want to keep the fond memories and not search for it after reading the below similar thread:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/help-me-find-my-1986-cj7-renegade-1287456/

Good luck w/ whatever you decide!

Read the whole thread, I feel like he should have bought it back! I know if I came across my dads jeep in that state I would jump on it in a heartbeat. Whatever work it will need really doesn't matter. Even if I end up finding it's been parted out and it's just a tub with a title I am in. I have bought and parted out / fixed 50 plus cj's in the past couple of years. I even have an 84 silver metallic Laredo tub with title behind the shop that I am hanging onto just in case. I can duplicate the jeep no probelm, just want a shot at owning the one that was registered to my dad.

mxracer919

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
SOA Member
City
miami
State
ok
A little update. The underwriting company that he had the jeep with did not have a file on him anymore as he left them in 1989, and he could not remmber who it was insure with. Had him double check with the insurance company he left them for and they had no record. Have a little glimmer of hope as there is a form at the DMV that I can fill out requesting information on the jeep with the tag number, keeping my fingers crossed!

LetchcoreCJ7

Legacy Registered User
City
Nashville
State
TN
I totally understand your wanting that jeep back. I would prepare yourself for it being gone as in parted out but I wouldn't give up either. I fear that you will find that it has not been registered in a long time. So many cj's have been parted. I would say 80-90% of them.

Never seen a silver Laredo with nutmeg!

mxracer919

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
SOA Member
City
miami
State
ok
I agree, and would not be suprised. I have bought and sold 50 plus jeeps in the past couple of years. Some have stayed complete, but most have been cj's that I have parted out.....So I am part of the problem! Like I had said before want to see if it is out there, if not I have an 84 cj7 laredo tub and title that was silver with nutmeg. I have all the parts to make it happen.

Bugman

The Rubicon, my backyard
City
Pollock Pines
State
CA
I had an interesting experience tracking down my first car. My parents bought new in 1963 a Porsche Cabriolet Super 90, one of 400 imported that year. In my summer school junior year of high school I restored it as a project in auto shop. I was buying it from my parents, drove it my senior year. They got an offer they couldn't refuse and sold it, paid me for my efforts and I was crushed. 30 years later I decided to track it down and found it. The last time it sold, it sold for $123,000 more than the parents sold it for.:eek: Well, at least I found it.

mxracer919

Legacy Registered User
Gold Member
SOA Member
City
miami
State
ok
WOW, yes atleast you know what happened to it vs. wondering. I sit around and think about what I am going to do if I find it in restored mint condition....that will be unfortunate.....but I'll do everything I can to make it happen.

spankrjs

Scrambler Junkie
Lifetime Member
SOA Member
City
Biloxi
State
MS
He had posted this the other day on the cj7 Facebook page. It's very very close to what my dad had, but after speaking with him about it he said his dad bought it new in 84 out of houston. The search continues!

Yep, figured it wasn't yours, but kind of coincidental/sad that it is a son selling his dad's CJ, and your trying to find your dad's:thumbsup:

I'm starting to like the silver/garnett color combo:thumbsup:

Good luck on your hunt:cheers::cheers: